Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Agreeable'
- suitable to your needs or similar to your nature; "a congenial atmosphere to work in"; "two congenial spirits united...by mutual confidence and reciprocal virtues"- T.L.Peacock [syn: congenial] [ant: uncongenial]
- to your own liking or feelings or nature; "Is the plan agreeable to you?"; "he's an agreeable fellow"; "My idea of an agreeable person...is a person who agrees with me"- Disraeli; "an agreeable manner" [ant: disagreeable]
- in keeping; "salaries agreeable with current trends"; "plans conformable with your wishes"; "expressed views concordant with his background" [syn: accordant, conformable, consonant, concordant]
- prepared to agree or consent; "agreeable to the plan"
- Agreeable \A*gree"a*ble\, a. [F. agr['e]able.]
- Pleasing, either to the mind or senses; pleasant; grateful; as, agreeable manners or remarks; an agreeable person; fruit agreeable to the taste. A train of agreeable reveries. --Goldsmith.
- Willing; ready to agree or consent. [Colloq.] These Frenchmen give unto the said captain of Calais a great sum of money, so that he will be but content and agreeable that they may enter into the said town. --Latimer.
- Agreeing or suitable; conformable; correspondent; concordant; adapted; -- followed by to, rarely by with. That which is agreeable to the nature of one thing, is many times contrary to the nature of another. --L'Estrange.
- In pursuance, conformity, or accordance; -- in this sense used adverbially for agreeably; as, agreeable to the order of the day, the House took up the report. Syn: Pleasing; pleasant; welcome; charming; acceptable; amiable. See Pleasant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Agreeable'
Agreeableness is a tendency to be pleasant and accommodating in social situations. In contemporary personality psychology, agreeableness is one of the five major dimensions of personality structure, reflecting individual differences in concern for cooperation and social harmony. People who score high on this dimension are empathetic, considerate, friendly, generous, and helpful. They also have an optimistic view of human nature. They tend to believe that most people are honest, decent, and trustworthy.
People scoring low on agreeableness place self-interest above getting along with others. They are usually more cautious about other's agendas; they may feel that others are out to better their own self-interest. People scoring low on the agreeableness chart are generally less concerned with others' well-being, report less empathy, and are therefore less likely to go out of their way to help others. Their skepticism about other people's motives may cause them to be suspicious and unfriendly. People very low on agreeableness have a tendency to be manipulative in their social relationships. They are more likely to compete than to cooperate.[See more about Agreeable at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Agreeable'
'Agreeable' in famous quotation sentence
* And yet a little tumult, now and then, is an agreeable quickener of sensation such as a revolution, a battle, or an adventure of any lively description. - George Gordon Byron
* My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me. - Benjamin Disraeli
Click here for more related quotations on 'Agreeable'
Agreeable Sample Sentences in News
- Review: 'The Giver' alters book for softer tale
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An agreeable young adult riff on Orwell — via "Logan's Run" — topped with the kind of magic-transformative baloney that passes for an ending in too many otherwise-fine Hollywood adventures, Phillip Noyce's "The Giver" greets a man-made Utopia with an eternal question: "If you can't feel, what's the Read more on this news related to 'Agreeable'
- Vancouver Canucks confirm Moore-Bertuzzi lawsuit settlement
The Vancouver Canucks are confirming that a "mutually agreeable" settlement has been reached in Steve Moore's lawsuit against NHL forward Todd Bertuzzi over an infamous on-ice attack that ended Moore's career 10 years ago. Moore's multimillion-dollar suit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks had been set to go to trial Sept. 8. Geoff Adair, a law Read more on this news related to 'Agreeable'
- Canucks confirm Moore-Bertuzzi lawsuit settlement
The Vancouver Canucks are confirming that a 'mutually agreeable' settlement has been reached in Steve Moore's lawsuit against NHL forward Todd Bertuzzi over an infamous on-ice attack that ended Moore's career 10 years ago. Read more on this news related to 'Agreeable'