Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Aggressive'
- having or showing determination and energetic pursuit of your ends; "an aggressive businessman"; "an aggressive basketball player"; "he was aggressive and imperious; positive in his convictions"; "aggressive drivers" [ant: unaggressive]
- marked by aggressive ambition and energy and initiative; "an aggressive young exective"; "a pushful insurance agent"; "a pushing youth intent on getting on in the world" [syn: enterprising, pushful, pushing, pushy]
- tending to spread quickly; "an aggressive tumor" [syn: fast-growing(a)]
- characteristic of an enemy or one eager to fight; "aggressive acts against another country"; "a belligerent tone" [syn: belligerent]
- Aggressive \Ag*gres"sive\, a. [Cf. F. agressif.]
Tending or disposed to aggress; characterized by aggression;
making assaults; unjustly attacking; as, an aggressive
policy, war, person, nation. -- Ag*gres"sive*ly, adv. --
No aggressive movement was made. --Macaulay.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Aggressive'
In psychology, as well as other social and behavioral sciences, aggression (also called combativeness) refers to behavior between members of the same species that is intended to cause pain or harm. Predatory behavior between members of one species towards another species is also described as "aggression." To exhibit aggression towards members of another species is common, such as in these examples: "Lions are aggressive hunters of antelopes," and "Eagles are aggressive hunters of small mammals."
Aggression takes a variety of forms among human beings, and it can be physical, mental, or verbal. Aggression should not be confused with assertiveness.
There are two broad categories of aggression. These include hostile, affective, or retaliatory aggression and instrumental, predatory, or goal-oriented aggression.[See more about Aggressive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Aggressive'
'Aggressive' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Aggressive'
Aggressive Sample Sentences in News
- Aggressive defense early star of Chiefs OTAs
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- As the Kansas City Chiefs began their second week of OTA practices Tuesday, one thing was clear: coach Andy Reid's defense was light years ahead of his offense when it came to making the transition to a new coaching staff and scheme. Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'
- Aggressive panhandling rule passes
The Pensacola City Council on Monday approved an ordinance that would ban aggressive panhandling, begging and solicitation within the city limits. Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'
- Solicitor arrested in Herriman for aggressive salesmanship
Solicitor arrested in Herriman for aggressive salesmanship by Michael Mcfall The Salt Lake Tribune Published May 22, 2013 07:36PM MDT Police arrested a solicitor after they say he was overly aggressive in his pitch. A group of solicitors, with permission from Herriman City, have been going around selling cleaning products — but for two days, Unified police have Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'