Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Aggressive'
- having or showing determination and energetic pursuit of your ends; "an aggressive businessman"; "an aggressive basketball player"; "he was aggressive and imperious; positive in his convictions"; "aggressive drivers" [ant: unaggressive]
- marked by aggressive ambition and energy and initiative; "an aggressive young exective"; "a pushful insurance agent"; "a pushing youth intent on getting on in the world" [syn: enterprising, pushful, pushing, pushy]
- tending to spread quickly; "an aggressive tumor" [syn: fast-growing(a)]
- characteristic of an enemy or one eager to fight; "aggressive acts against another country"; "a belligerent tone" [syn: belligerent]
- Aggressive \Ag*gres"sive\, a. [Cf. F. agressif.]
Tending or disposed to aggress; characterized by aggression;
making assaults; unjustly attacking; as, an aggressive
policy, war, person, nation. -- Ag*gres"sive*ly, adv. --
No aggressive movement was made. --Macaulay.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Aggressive'
In psychology, as well as other social and behavioral sciences, aggression (also called combativeness) refers to behavior between members of the same species that is intended to cause pain or harm. Predatory behavior between members of one species towards another species is also described as "aggression." To exhibit aggression towards members of another species is common, such as in these examples: "Lions are aggressive hunters of antelopes," and "Eagles are aggressive hunters of small mammals."
Aggression takes a variety of forms among human beings, and it can be physical, mental, or verbal. Aggression should not be confused with assertiveness.
There are two broad categories of aggression. These include hostile, affective, or retaliatory aggression and instrumental, predatory, or goal-oriented aggression.[See more about Aggressive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Aggressive'
'Aggressive' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Aggressive'
Aggressive Sample Sentences in News
- Cambiar Aggressive Value Fund Ranked #1 among World Stock Funds
The Cambiar Aggressive Value Fund is ranked #1 out of 773 World Stock funds tracked by Morningstar, with an annualized return of 26.03% for the trailing 5 years , and #1 out of 650 World Stock funds since its inception in 2007, with an annualized return of 11.74% . Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'
- Chesco police to crack down on aggressive driving
CHESTER COUNTY Police in seven departments to crack down on aggressive driving Seven Chester County police departments that have a documented problem with aggressive drivers will be increasing their ticketing of behaviors such as running red lights, speeding, and tailgating, according to District Attorney Thomas Hogan. Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'
- Uber eyes aggressive expansion in Germany despite bans
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - U.S. car service Uber is planning an aggressive expansion in Germany despite a backlash from cities such as Berlin and Hamburg, which have questioned its right to operate in highly regulated markets dominated by traditional taxis. The San Francisco-based company, which allows users to summon rides on their smartphones, announced late on Tuesd Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'