Actor Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a theatrical performer
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he''s a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he''s a miracle worker"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a theatrical performer ,
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he's a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he's a miracle worker"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Actor'?
Actor Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An actor is a person who acts, or has a role (a part) in a movie, television show, play, or radio show. Sometimes actors only sing or dance, or sometimes they only work on radio. A woman actor is also an actress, but today most people use the word "actor" for both men and women.
The first time we know an actor worked was in 534 B.C., probably on November 23. The changes in calendar between then and now means that we are not sure it was November 23. This actor was called Thespis and he was Greek. The place where the play happened was called the Theatre Dionysus. He was the first person to speak words as a character. This was a big change in storytelling. Before then, people sang and danced stories, but no one had been a person in the story. Today we call actors "thespians" because of Thespis.
Words and phrases related to 'Actor'
'Actor' example sentence in quotations
* An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Edwin Booth
* When someone who is known for being comedic does something straight, it' s always 'a big breakthrough' or a 'radical departure.' Why is it no one ever says that if a straight actor does comedy Are they presuming comedy is easier - Carol Burnett
Click here for more related quotations on 'Actor'
Actor Sample Sentences in News
- Actor charged with voyeurism
An American actor living in Canada has been arrested on voyeurism charges in Toronto, police said. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- SAG Awards 2015: J.K. Simmons wins supporting actor for 'Whiplash'
J.K. Simmons, for his turn as a ruthless music teacher in “Whiplash,” captured the Screen Actors Guild Award on Sunday for best performance by a male actor in a supporting role. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- American actor arrested arrested on voyeurism charges in Canada
(CNN) – An American actor living in Canada has been arrested on voyeurism charges in Toronto, police said. Jean-Paul Manoux, also known as J.P. Manoux, was arrested on Tuesday. He’s scheduled to appear before a judge on March 11. It started when two women in their mid-twenties rented a condo from the actor. According to […] Read more on this news related to 'Actor'