Actor Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a theatrical performer
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he''s a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he''s a miracle worker"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a theatrical performer ,
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he's a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he's a miracle worker"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Actor'?
Actor Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An actor is a person who acts, or has a role (a part) in a movie, television show, play, or radio show. Sometimes actors only sing or dance, or sometimes they only work on radio. A woman actor is also an actress, but today most people use the word "actor" for both men and women.
The first time we know an actor worked was in 534 B.C., probably on November 23. The changes in calendar between then and now means that we are not sure it was November 23. This actor was called Thespis and he was Greek. The place where the play happened was called the Theatre Dionysus. He was the first person to speak words as a character. This was a big change in storytelling. Before then, people sang and danced stories, but no one had been a person in the story. Today we call actors "thespians" because of Thespis.
Words and phrases related to 'Actor'
'Actor' example sentence in quotations
* An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Edwin Booth
* When someone who is known for being comedic does something straight, it' s always 'a big breakthrough' or a 'radical departure.' Why is it no one ever says that if a straight actor does comedy Are they presuming comedy is easier - Carol Burnett
Click here for more related quotations on 'Actor'
Actor Sample Sentences in News
- Actor Keanu Reeves returns to the dark side in 'John Wick'
By Patricia Reaney NEW YORK (Reuters) - Actor Keanu Reeves travels to a murky underworld in the action thriller, "John Wick," playing a grieving husband and retired assassin, who reverts to being a killing machine to avenge the wrongs done to him by Russian mobsters. The film, jam-packed with car chases, gun fights, mayhem and murder, is the directorial Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- 'Fraggle Rock' actor Gerard Parkes dies at age 90
(Reuters) - Gerard Parkes, the Irish-Canadian actor best known for his roles on the Muppets' "Fraggle Rock" and crime film "The Boondock Saints," has died, his agent said on Tuesday. The actor died at a retirement home in Toronto on Sunday from natural causes and had been ill for the past several years, agent Gerry Jordan said. He died two Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- 'GoodFellas' actor sues Fox, saying he created a 'Simpsons' character
"The Simpsons" has had a hit put on its head in the form of a huge lawsuit. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'