Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Actor'
- a theatrical performer [syn: histrion, player, thespian, role player]
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he's a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he's a miracle worker" [syn: doer, worker]
- Actor \Ac"tor\, n. [L. actor, fr. agere to act.]
- One who acts, or takes part in any affair; a doer.
- A theatrical performer; a stageplayer. After a well graced actor leaves the stage. --Shak.
- (Law) (a) An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes. --Jacobs. (b) One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Actor'
An actor or actress (see terminology) is a person who acts in a dramatic production and who works in film, television, theatre, or radio in that capacity.
The word actor refers to a person who acts regardless of gender, while actress refers specifically to a female person who acts; therefore a female can be referred to by either term. The Oxford English Dictionary states that originally "actor" was used for both sexes. The English word actress does not derive from the Latin actrix, probably not even by way of French actrice; according to the Oxford English Dictionary, actress was "probably formed independently" in English. As actress is a specifically feminine word, some groups assert that the word is sexist. Gender-neutral usage of actor has re-emerged in modern English, especially when referring to male and female performers collectively, but actress remains the common term used in major acting awards given to female recipients and is common in general usage.[See more about Actor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Actor'
'Actor' in famous quotation sentence
* An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Edwin Booth
* When someone who is known for being comedic does something straight, it' s always 'a big breakthrough' or a 'radical departure.' Why is it no one ever says that if a straight actor does comedy Are they presuming comedy is easier - Carol Burnett
Click here for more related quotations on 'Actor'
Actor Sample Sentences in News
- Actor John Howard finds country life no brake on his movie career
Actor John Howard is probably best known for his role in SeaChange but now he is enjoying his own tree change north-west of Goulburn. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Mean Girls Actor Daniel Franzese Comes Out
The actor who played Damian is out and proud, 10 years after the teen comedy's release. Featured Image: read more Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and showrunners discuss ‘Game of Thrones’ controversy
Actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and the creators of Game of Thrones discuss this week’s most disturbing scene. Game of Thrones once again blew up the internet this week, with a scene that shocked many fans to the core. Actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau … Continue reading → The post Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and showrunners discuss ‘Game of Thrones’ controversy appeare Read more on this news related to 'Actor'