Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Actor'
- a theatrical performer [syn: histrion, player, thespian, role player]
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he's a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he's a miracle worker" [syn: doer, worker]
- Actor \Ac"tor\, n. [L. actor, fr. agere to act.]
- One who acts, or takes part in any affair; a doer.
- A theatrical performer; a stageplayer. After a well graced actor leaves the stage. --Shak.
- (Law) (a) An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes. --Jacobs. (b) One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Actor'
An actor or actress (see terminology) is a person who acts in a dramatic production and who works in film, television, theatre, or radio in that capacity.
The word actor refers to a person who acts regardless of gender, while actress refers specifically to a female person who acts; therefore a female can be referred to by either term. The Oxford English Dictionary states that originally "actor" was used for both sexes. The English word actress does not derive from the Latin actrix, probably not even by way of French actrice; according to the Oxford English Dictionary, actress was "probably formed independently" in English. As actress is a specifically feminine word, some groups assert that the word is sexist. Gender-neutral usage of actor has re-emerged in modern English, especially when referring to male and female performers collectively, but actress remains the common term used in major acting awards given to female recipients and is common in general usage.[See more about Actor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Actor'
'Actor' in famous quotation sentence
* An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Edwin Booth
* When someone who is known for being comedic does something straight, it' s always 'a big breakthrough' or a 'radical departure.' Why is it no one ever says that if a straight actor does comedy Are they presuming comedy is easier - Carol Burnett
Click here for more related quotations on 'Actor'
Actor Sample Sentences in News
- Actor threatens boyfriend, hides gun under cone: police
An actor was charged with weapon possession and booted from his own condo after cops found a loaded gun in his courtyard, The Post has learned. Jeffrey Broadhurst, 48 – who... Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Mickey Rooney, versatile actor and master showman, dies at 93
Actor Mickey Rooney, who became the United States' biggest movie star while a brash teenager in the 1930s and later a versatile character actor in a career that spanned 10 decades, died on Sunday of natural causes, Los Angeles authorities said. Rooney, who developed a reputation as a hard-partying, off-screen brat in his heyday and married eight times, died at Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Mickey Rooney, All-American Actor for Eight Decades, Dies
Actor Mickey Rooney testifies at the Justice For All: Ending Elder Abuse, Neglect & Financial Exploitation hearing at the Senate Dirksen Building in Washington, D.C on March 2, 2011. Rooney has died. He was 93. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'