Actor Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a theatrical performer
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he''s a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he''s a miracle worker"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a theatrical performer ,
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he's a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he's a miracle worker"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Actor'?
Actor Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An actor is a person who acts, or has a role (a part) in a movie, television show, play, or radio show. Sometimes actors only sing or dance, or sometimes they only work on radio. A woman actor is also an actress, but today most people use the word "actor" for both men and women.
The first time we know an actor worked was in 534 B.C., probably on November 23. The changes in calendar between then and now means that we are not sure it was November 23. This actor was called Thespis and he was Greek. The place where the play happened was called the Theatre Dionysus. He was the first person to speak words as a character. This was a big change in storytelling. Before then, people sang and danced stories, but no one had been a person in the story. Today we call actors "thespians" because of Thespis.
Words and phrases related to 'Actor'
'Actor' example sentence in quotations
* An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Edwin Booth
* When someone who is known for being comedic does something straight, it' s always 'a big breakthrough' or a 'radical departure.' Why is it no one ever says that if a straight actor does comedy Are they presuming comedy is easier - Carol Burnett
Click here for more related quotations on 'Actor'
Actor Sample Sentences in News
- A Minute With: Egyptian actor Amr Waked on making movies at home and abroad
By Maha El Dahan ABU DHABI (Reuters) - Egyptian actor and film-maker Amr Waked, equally at home in Cairo and Hollywood, says the time is ripe for a host of other Arab stars to make it big abroad. Waked, an established celebrity in Egypt, has also appeared in a string of global hits alongside George Clooney in "Syriana", Kristin Scott Thomas in "Salm Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Actor Caine prefers film to digital
Sir Michael Caine has confessed he prefers old fashion film technology to digital - because he does not have to work so hard. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Award-Winning Japanese Actor Seeks Complete Art
Young award-winning Japanese actor Shota Sometani pursues complete art by sitting still Read more on this news related to 'Actor'