Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Actor'
- a theatrical performer [syn: histrion, player, thespian, role player]
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he's a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he's a miracle worker" [syn: doer, worker]
- Actor \Ac"tor\, n. [L. actor, fr. agere to act.]
- One who acts, or takes part in any affair; a doer.
- A theatrical performer; a stageplayer. After a well graced actor leaves the stage. --Shak.
- (Law) (a) An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes. --Jacobs. (b) One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Actor'
An actor or actress (see terminology) is a person who acts in a dramatic production and who works in film, television, theatre, or radio in that capacity.
The word actor refers to a person who acts regardless of gender, while actress refers specifically to a female person who acts; therefore a female can be referred to by either term. The Oxford English Dictionary states that originally "actor" was used for both sexes. The English word actress does not derive from the Latin actrix, probably not even by way of French actrice; according to the Oxford English Dictionary, actress was "probably formed independently" in English. As actress is a specifically feminine word, some groups assert that the word is sexist. Gender-neutral usage of actor has re-emerged in modern English, especially when referring to male and female performers collectively, but actress remains the common term used in major acting awards given to female recipients and is common in general usage.[See more about Actor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Actor'
'Actor' in famous quotation sentence
* An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Edwin Booth
* When someone who is known for being comedic does something straight, it' s always 'a big breakthrough' or a 'radical departure.' Why is it no one ever says that if a straight actor does comedy Are they presuming comedy is easier - Carol Burnett
Click here for more related quotations on 'Actor'
Actor Sample Sentences in News
- Hard man actor Jason Statham hopes new film shows softer side
LONDON (Reuters) - British actor Jason Statham, known for playing the hard man in a list of Hollywood blockbusters, said he hoped his latest film "Hummingbird" would show a more emotional side to his acting even though the thriller is packed with violence. Statham, 45, walked the red carpet with his supermodel girlfriend Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in London's Leice Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Actor Richard Gere visits Six Flags with wife and son
JACKSON — Actor Richard Gere and his wife, model and actress Carey Lowell, celebrated their son's 13th birthday on Friday at Six Flags Great Adventure. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Actor-director Manivannan laid to rest
Chennai, June 16 (IANS) Popular Tamil actor-director Manivannan was laid to rest at the Porur burial ground here Sunday. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'