Actor Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a theatrical performer
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he''s a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he''s a miracle worker"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a theatrical performer ,
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he's a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he's a miracle worker"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Actor'?
Actor Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An actor is a person who acts, or has a role (a part) in a movie, television show, play, or radio show. Sometimes actors only sing or dance, or sometimes they only work on radio. A woman actor is also an actress, but today most people use the word "actor" for both men and women.
The first time we know an actor worked was in 534 B.C., probably on November 23. The changes in calendar between then and now means that we are not sure it was November 23. This actor was called Thespis and he was Greek. The place where the play happened was called the Theatre Dionysus. He was the first person to speak words as a character. This was a big change in storytelling. Before then, people sang and danced stories, but no one had been a person in the story. Today we call actors "thespians" because of Thespis.
Words and phrases related to 'Actor'
'Actor' example sentence in quotations
* An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Edwin Booth
* When someone who is known for being comedic does something straight, it' s always 'a big breakthrough' or a 'radical departure.' Why is it no one ever says that if a straight actor does comedy Are they presuming comedy is easier - Carol Burnett
Click here for more related quotations on 'Actor'
Actor Sample Sentences in News
- Leonard Nimoy: How the actor became a sci-fi icon to generations (+video)
Nimoy directed films and Broadway productions and starred in various other movies and TV shows, but he is remembered by many as the logic-loving Starship Enterprise crew member Mr. Spock. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Actor Leonard Nimoy, 'Mr. Spock,' dies at 83
The legendary actor who made being logical sound cool in his "Star Trek" role as Spock, beloved by generations of fans, died at his home in Los Angeles Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Celeb birthdays for the week of March 1-7
March 1: Actor Robert Clary ("Hogan's Heroes") is 89. Singer Harry Belafonte is 88. Actor Robert Conrad is 80. Singer Mike D'Abo of Manfred Mann is 71. Singer Roger Daltrey is 71. Actor Alan Thicke ("Growing Pains") is 68. Actor-director Ron Howard is 61. Country singer Janis Oliver Cummins of Sweethearts of the Rodeo is 61. Actress Cat Read more on this news related to 'Actor'