Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Actor'
- a theatrical performer [syn: histrion, player, thespian, role player]
- a person who acts and gets things done; "he's a principal actor in this affair"; "when you want something done get a doer"; "he's a miracle worker" [syn: doer, worker]
- Actor \Ac"tor\, n. [L. actor, fr. agere to act.]
- One who acts, or takes part in any affair; a doer.
- A theatrical performer; a stageplayer. After a well graced actor leaves the stage. --Shak.
- (Law) (a) An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes. --Jacobs. (b) One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Actor'
An actor or actress (see terminology) is a person who acts in a dramatic production and who works in film, television, theatre, or radio in that capacity.
The word actor refers to a person who acts regardless of gender, while actress refers specifically to a female person who acts; therefore a female can be referred to by either term. The Oxford English Dictionary states that originally "actor" was used for both sexes. The English word actress does not derive from the Latin actrix, probably not even by way of French actrice; according to the Oxford English Dictionary, actress was "probably formed independently" in English. As actress is a specifically feminine word, some groups assert that the word is sexist. Gender-neutral usage of actor has re-emerged in modern English, especially when referring to male and female performers collectively, but actress remains the common term used in major acting awards given to female recipients and is common in general usage.[See more about Actor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Actor'
'Actor' in famous quotation sentence
* An actor is a sculptor who carves in snow. - Edwin Booth
* When someone who is known for being comedic does something straight, it' s always 'a big breakthrough' or a 'radical departure.' Why is it no one ever says that if a straight actor does comedy Are they presuming comedy is easier - Carol Burnett
Click here for more related quotations on 'Actor'
Actor Sample Sentences in News
- Actor arrested with Jackie Chan's son released
BEIJING (AP) — A Taiwanese actor arrested on drug charges along with the son of Hong Kong film star Jackie Chan was released Friday after two weeks in detention, amid a broad anti-drug crackdown in China's capital that has ensnared several celebrities. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Actor Bill kerr dies age 92
Actor Bill Kerr who starred in Doctor Who and Hancock's Half Hour has died at the age of 92 at the home in Australia. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'
- Richard Attenborough, John Akers, John Sperling: Obits This Week
English actor and director Richard Attenborough, works on the set of his film 'Magic' in 1978. English actor and director Richard Attenborough, works on the set of his film 'Magic' in 1978. Read more on this news related to 'Actor'