Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Acquire'
- come into the possession of something concrete or abstract; "She got a lot of paintings from her uncle"; "They acquired a new pet"; "Get your results the next day"; "Get permission to take a few days off from work" [syn: get]
- take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone"; "The story took a new turn"; "he adopted an air of superiority"; "She assumed strange manners"; "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables" [syn: assume, adopt, take on, take]
- come to have or undergo a change of (physical features and attributes); "He grew a beard"; "The patient developed abdominal pains"; "I got funny spots all over my body"; "Well-developed breasts" [syn: grow, develop, produce, get]
- locate (a moving entity) by means of a tracking system such as radar
- win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese"; "Gain an understanding of international finance" [syn: win, gain] [ant: lose]
- acquire or gain knowledge or skills; "She learned dancing from her sister"; "I learned Sanskrit"; "Children acquire language at an amazing rate" [syn: learn, larn]
- gain through experience; "I acquired a strong aversion to television"; "Children must develop a sense of right and wrong"; "Dave developed leadership qualities in his new position"; "develop a passion for painting" [syn: develop, evolve]
- Acquire \Ac*quire"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Acquired; p. pr. &
vb. n. Acquiring.] [L. acquirere, acquisitum; ad + quarere
to seek for. In OE. was a verb aqueren, fr. the same, through
OF. aquerre. See Quest..]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Acquire'
Acquire is a board game designed by Sid Sackson. The game was originally published in 1962 by 3M as a part of their bookshelf games series. In most versions, the theme of the game is investing in hotel chains. In the 1990s Hasbro edition, the hotel chains were replaced by generic corporations, though the actual gameplay was unchanged. The game is currently published by Hasbro under the Avalon Hill brand, and the companies are once again hotel chains.
The object of the game is to earn the most money by developing and merging hotel chains. When a chain in which a player owns stock is acquired by a larger chain, players earn money based on the size of the acquired chain. At the end of the game, all players liquidate their stock in order to determine which player has the most money.[See more about Acquire at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Acquire'
'Acquire' in famous quotation sentence
* As we acquire more knowldege, things do not become more comprehensible, but more mysterious. - Albert Schweitzer
* There is no more difficult art to acquire than the art of observation, and for some men it is quite as difficult to record an observation in brief and plain language. - William Osler
Click here for more related quotations on 'Acquire'
Acquire Sample Sentences in News
- Google exec bashes Facebook for $19 billion WhatsApp buy
Google wanted to acquire WhatsApp but it couldn’t get the deal done. Now, Google is apparently venting some frustrations that Facebook beat it to the punch. While speaking at the Morgan Stanley technology conference in San Francisco on Wednesday, Google’s chief business officer Nikesh Arora voiced his opinion that the huge $19 billion sum Facebook is paying Read more on this news related to 'Acquire'
- Facebook to Acquire a Drone Maker?
Facebook is rumored to acquire a drone manufacturer, Titan Aerospace for about $60.0 million. Read more on this news related to 'Acquire'
- Canoe Mining to Acquire Birch Hill Gold
Canoe Mining to Acquire Birch Hill Gold Read more on this news related to 'Acquire'