Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Absence'
- the state of being absent; "he was surprised by the absence of any explanation" [ant: presence]
- failure to be present [ant: presence]
- the time interval during which something or somebody is away; "he visited during my absence"
- epilepsy characterized by paroxysmal attacks of brief clouding of consciousness (a possible other abnormalities) [syn: petit mal epilepsy]
- Absence \Ab"sence\, n. [F., fr. L. absentia. See Absent.]
- A state of being absent or withdrawn from a place or from companionship; -- opposed to presence. Not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence. --Phil. ii. 12.
- Want; destitution; withdrawal. ``In the absence of conventional law.'' --Kent.
- Inattention to things present; abstraction (of mind); as, absence of mind. ``Reflecting on the little absences and distractions of mankind.'' --Addison. To conquer that abstraction which is called absence. --Landor.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Absence'
Absenteeism is a habitual pattern of absence from a duty or obligation. Traditionally, absenteeism has been viewed as an indicator of poor individual performance, as well as a breach of an implicit contract between employee and employer; it was seen as a management problem, and framed in economic or quasi-economic terms. More recent scholarship seeks to understand absenteeism as an indicator of psychological, medical, or social adjustment to work.
Frequent absence from the workplace may be indicative of poor morale or of sick building syndrome. However, many employers have implemented absence policies which make no distinction between absences for genuine illness and absence for inappropriate reasons. One of these policies is the calculation of the Bradford factor, which only takes the total number and frequency of absences into account, not the kind of absence.[See more about Absence at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Absence'
'Absence' in famous quotation sentence
* Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars-all the beauties of creation. - Victor Hugo
* Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Absence'
Absence Sample Sentences in News
- Absence of handwriting expert stalls Atuche’s trial
The absence of a handwriting expert on Tuesday stalled the trial of a former Managing Director of Bank PHB, Francis Atuche, holding before Justice Lateefat Okunnu of an Ikeja High Court. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Atuche and his wife, Elizabeth, are standing trial for allegedly stealing N25.7 billion belonging to the bank.... [Read More...] Read more on this news related to 'Absence'
- Absence of interpreter stalls trial of drug trafficking
The absence of an interpreter on Tuesday again stalled hearing in a case of a 36-year-old Portuguese national, Roseangela Goncalves, charged over alleged drug trafficking before a Federal High Court in Lagos. Gonclaves was arraigned alongside a Nigerian, Christopher Olua, 38, on one count of dealing in cocaine. The prosecutor, Mr Fingere Dinneys, told the... [Re Read more on this news related to 'Absence'
- Cunliffe's absence questioned
The opposition leader's absence from parliament's got the Prime Minister's eyebrows arching. Cunliffe's absence questioned Political, David Cunliffe, John Key, David Parker Read more on this news related to 'Absence'