Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Absence'
- the state of being absent; "he was surprised by the absence of any explanation" [ant: presence]
- failure to be present [ant: presence]
- the time interval during which something or somebody is away; "he visited during my absence"
- epilepsy characterized by paroxysmal attacks of brief clouding of consciousness (a possible other abnormalities) [syn: petit mal epilepsy]
- Absence \Ab"sence\, n. [F., fr. L. absentia. See Absent.]
- A state of being absent or withdrawn from a place or from companionship; -- opposed to presence. Not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence. --Phil. ii. 12.
- Want; destitution; withdrawal. ``In the absence of conventional law.'' --Kent.
- Inattention to things present; abstraction (of mind); as, absence of mind. ``Reflecting on the little absences and distractions of mankind.'' --Addison. To conquer that abstraction which is called absence. --Landor.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Absence'
Absenteeism is a habitual pattern of absence from a duty or obligation. Traditionally, absenteeism has been viewed as an indicator of poor individual performance, as well as a breach of an implicit contract between employee and employer; it was seen as a management problem, and framed in economic or quasi-economic terms. More recent scholarship seeks to understand absenteeism as an indicator of psychological, medical, or social adjustment to work.
Frequent absence from the workplace may be indicative of poor morale or of sick building syndrome. However, many employers have implemented absence policies which make no distinction between absences for genuine illness and absence for inappropriate reasons. One of these policies is the calculation of the Bradford factor, which only takes the total number and frequency of absences into account, not the kind of absence.[See more about Absence at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Absence'
'Absence' in famous quotation sentence
* Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars-all the beauties of creation. - Victor Hugo
* Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Absence'
Absence Sample Sentences in News
- Matrix Absence Management Enhances Mobile Absence Management App
Matrix Absence Management, Inc., , a leader in helping employers proactively manage employee absence, productivity and related payments, has enhanced employee level functionality to its industry leading mobile application. Read more on this news related to 'Absence'
- Phillies president Montgomery takes leave of absence after cancer surgery
The Phillies on Thursday announced that team president and CEO David Montgomery is taking a leave of absence after undergoing surgery in May for cancer of the jaw. Former GM Pat Gillick will perform Montgomery's duties while he's out. "The Phillies announced today that David Montgomery is taking a medical leave of absence from the organization while h Read more on this news related to 'Absence'
- Broadspire Launches Integrated Disability and Absence Management Services (IDAM)
Broadspire® Launches Integrated Disability and Absence Management Services (IDAM) Comprehensive suite of integrated disability and absence management services expected to lower costs and enhance productivity ... Read more on this news related to 'Absence'