Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Absence'
- the state of being absent; "he was surprised by the absence of any explanation" [ant: presence]
- failure to be present [ant: presence]
- the time interval during which something or somebody is away; "he visited during my absence"
- epilepsy characterized by paroxysmal attacks of brief clouding of consciousness (a possible other abnormalities) [syn: petit mal epilepsy]
- Absence \Ab"sence\, n. [F., fr. L. absentia. See Absent.]
- A state of being absent or withdrawn from a place or from companionship; -- opposed to presence. Not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence. --Phil. ii. 12.
- Want; destitution; withdrawal. ``In the absence of conventional law.'' --Kent.
- Inattention to things present; abstraction (of mind); as, absence of mind. ``Reflecting on the little absences and distractions of mankind.'' --Addison. To conquer that abstraction which is called absence. --Landor.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Absence'
Absenteeism is a habitual pattern of absence from a duty or obligation. Traditionally, absenteeism has been viewed as an indicator of poor individual performance, as well as a breach of an implicit contract between employee and employer; it was seen as a management problem, and framed in economic or quasi-economic terms. More recent scholarship seeks to understand absenteeism as an indicator of psychological, medical, or social adjustment to work.
Frequent absence from the workplace may be indicative of poor morale or of sick building syndrome. However, many employers have implemented absence policies which make no distinction between absences for genuine illness and absence for inappropriate reasons. One of these policies is the calculation of the Bradford factor, which only takes the total number and frequency of absences into account, not the kind of absence.[See more about Absence at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Absence'
'Absence' in famous quotation sentence
* Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars-all the beauties of creation. - Victor Hugo
* Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Absence'
Absence Sample Sentences in News
- Absence of counsel stalls subsidy fraud trial
Absence of the counsel to the EFCC on Wednesday stalled the continuation of trial of an oil marketer, Abdullahi Alao, and four others. Abdullahi, son of businessman Alhaji Abdullazeez Arisekola-Alao, is being prosecuted before an Ikeja High Court over an alleged N1.1 billion fuel subsidy fraud. He was charged alongside two other oil marketers, Olarenwaju... [Rea Read more on this news related to 'Absence'
- Absence Of SEA Games Chef-de-Mission Small Matter - Khairy
PUTRAJAYA, Dec 10 (Bernama) -- Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin has described the absence of the 2013 SEA Games Chef-de-Mission (CDM), Datuk Amiruddin Embi, when Malaysia won its 1,000th gold medal two days ago as only a small matter compared to the achievement of the national contingent. Read more on this news related to 'Absence'
- CDM's no-shows causes stir
NAYPYITAW: The absence of the Malaysian contingent's Chef-de-Mission (CDM) at the wushu arena for the prize presentation ceremony has caused a stir among organisers and the Malaysian contingent at the 27th Myanmar SEA Games here. Read more on this news related to 'Absence'