Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abridge'
v : reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The
manuscript must be shortened" [syn: foreshorten, abbreviate,
shorten, cut, contract, reduce] [ant: elaborate]
- Abridge \A*bridge"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Abridged; p. pr. &
vb. n. Abridging.] [OE. abregen, OF. abregier, F.
abr['e]ger, fr. L. abbreviare; ad + brevis short. See Brief
and cf. Abbreviate.]
- To make shorter; to shorten in duration; to lessen; to diminish; to curtail; as, to abridge labor; to abridge power or rights. ``The bridegroom . . . abridged his visit.'' --Smollett. She retired herself to Sebaste, and abridged her train from state to necessity. --Fuller.
- To shorten or contract by using fewer words, yet retaining the sense; to epitomize; to condense; as, to abridge a history or dictionary.
- To deprive; to cut off; -- followed by of, and formerly by from; as, to abridge one of his rights.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abridge'
Coordinates: 51°39′08″N 0°07′09″E / 51.6523°N 0.1191°E / 51.6523; 0.1191
Abridge is a village in Essex, England. It is on the River Roding, 16 miles (26 km) southwest of the county town of Chelmsford. The village is in the district of Epping Forest and in the parliamentary constituency of Brentwood & Ongar. It is part of the civil parish of Lambourne and is served by Lambourne Parish Council.
It takes its name from the brick bridge over the River Roding, which is situated just to the north of the modern centre, on the road to Theydon Bois.
Abridge lies on the historically important coaching route between London and Chipping Ongar and has been an important crossing point of the River Roding for many centuries. The boundary of the Conservation Area includes the historic core of the village which is evident on the Chapman and Andre Map of 1777. Originally in the parish of Lambourne, Holy Trinity Church was built in 1836; before this, parishioners had to walk to three miles to Lambourne Church by a footpath. A Weslyian chapel was built in Abridge in 1833; it became Congregational in 1844.[See more about Abridge at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Abridge'
Abridge Sample Sentences in News
- Essex Chronicle commented Old Moulsham driver Rosie Reynolds rapped for reading at the...
A MOTHER-OF-ONE says she will never read a book again after she was prosecuted in court for peering at a novel while driving.Rosie Reynolds, 35, of Old Moulsham, Chelmsford, was fined £60 and handed three points on her licence for the gaffe during a visit to Abridge.She was working for Epping Forest District Council as a building surveyor, however insists her car Read more on this news related to 'Abridge'