Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abomination'
Abomination Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a person who is loathsome or disgusting
- hate coupled with disgust [syn: abhorrence, detestation, execration, loathing, odium]
- an action that is vicious or vile; an action that arouses disgust or abhorence; "his treatment of the children is an abomination"
- Abomination \A*bom`i*na"tion\, n. [OE. abominacioun, -cion, F.
abominatio. See Abominate.]
- The feeling of extreme disgust and hatred; abhorrence; detestation; loathing; as, he holds tobacco in abomination.
- That which is abominable; anything hateful, wicked, or shamefully vile; an object or state that excites disgust and hatred; a hateful or shameful vice; pollution. Antony, most large in his abominations. --Shak.
- A cause of pollution or wickedness. Syn: Detestation; loathing; abhorrence; disgust; aversion; loathsomeness; odiousness. --Sir W. Scott.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abomination'
- Abomination: Abomination may refer to: Abomination (Bible), covering Biblical references. Abomination, a Vampire/Werewolf hybrid from the game Werewolf: ...
- Abomination (comics): The Abomination (Emil Blonsky) is a fictional character , a supervillain - that appears in comic book s published by Marvel Comics . ...
- Abomination (Bible): Abomination (from Latin abominari , "to deprecate as an ill omen") is an English term used to translate the Biblical Hebrew terms ...
- Abomination (Dune): Abomination, in the context of the Dune series written by Frank Herbert , refers to one who acquires full consciousness as a fetus as a ...
- Abomination (Dungeons & Dragons): In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game , abominations are the unwanted offspring of a deity and some other being. ...
- Abomination (novel): Abomination (1998) is a novel by writer Robert Swindells . It deals with themes of religious extremism, adolescence, bullying, and ...
- United Abominations: United Abominations is the eleventh studio album by the American heavy metal band Megadeth . United Abominations is the first Megadeth ...
- Abomination of Desolation: The abomination of desolation (or desolating sacrilege) is a term found in the Hebrew Bible , in the book of Daniel . It also occurs in ...
- Ten Abominations: The Ten Abominations (十惡) were a list of offenses under traditional Chinese law which were regarded as the most abhorrent, and which ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abomination'
Abomination Sample Sentences in News
- Jell-O salads: American abomination or Thanksgiving treat?
Spectacular salads are an American speciality – and none are more striking than jellied versions. This Thanksgiving, do you fancy tuna, onion and olives encased in lime Jell-O? This Thursday is Thanksgiving; a time to give thanks for the harvest – and, as far as I'm concerned, for all the brilliant foodstuffs America has gifted us over the years. Just look Read more on this news related to 'Abomination'
- You cannot unsee the Colorado Rapids players in their fringed throwback April Fool's kit
In 1978, the NASL's Colorado Caribous wore a legendary abomination of a kit with fringe across the chest harkening back to the days of the western pioneers. As an April Fool's prank, the Colorado Rapids have announced that they will wear this kit — short shorts and all — for a yet to be determined match. Read more on this news related to 'Abomination'
- Designated hitter is still baseball’s biggest abomination
Columnist Nick Canepa abhors the designated hitter, although “abhor” may be too quiet a verb. Read more on this news related to 'Abomination'