Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abnormal'
- not normal; not typical or usual or regular or conforming to a norm; "abnormal powers of concentration"; "abnormal amounts of rain"; "abnormal circumstances"; "an abnormal interest in food" [ant: normal]
- departing from the normal in e.g. intelligence and development; "they were heartbroken when they learned their child was abnormal"; "an abnormal personality" [ant: normal]
- much greater than the normal; "abnormal profits"; "abnormal ambition"
- Abnormal \Ab*nor"mal\, a. [For earlier anormal.F. anormal, LL.
anormalus for anomalus, Gr. ?. Confused with L. abnormis. See
Anomalous, Abnormous, Anormal.]
Not conformed to rule or system; deviating from the type;
anomalous; irregular. ``That deviating from the type;
anomalous; irregular. '' --Froude.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abnormal'
Abnormality, in the vivid sense of something deviating from the normal or differing from the typical (such as an aberration), is a subjectively defined behavioral characteristic, assigned to those with rare or dysfunctional conditions. Defining who is normal or abnormal is a contentious issue in abnormal psychology.
A common approach to defining abnormality is a Multi-Criteria approach, where all definitions of abnormality are used to determine whether an individuals behavior is abnormal. For example, if an individual is engaging in a particular behavior that is preventing them from 'functioning', breaks a social norm and is statistically infrequent, then psychologists would be prepared to define this individual's behavior as abnormal. A good example of an abnormal behavior assessed by a multi-criteria approach is depression: it is commonly seen as a deviation from ideal mental stability, it often stops the individual from 'functioning' a normal life, and, although it is a relatively common mental disorder, it is still statistically infrequent; most people will not experience significant major depressive disorder in their lifetime 3.[See more about Abnormal at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Abnormal'
Abnormal Sample Sentences in News
- Staff Pick: Abnormal Allies’ Weird Weather Warning
Abnormal Allies, a group of local designers specializing in limited-run products, will open their first retail and multi-use space with quite a party. All of the products created by Abnormal Allies will be available, along with a gallery show featuring seven local artists. While perusing these wonderful items, you can sip on beers provided by Barley’s Brewing Co Read more on this news related to 'Abnormal'
- Motorists warned about 'abnormal load' lorries convoy
Two lorries carrying 21m-long metal cylinders are expected to take four hours to travel from Slyfield Industrial Estate in Guildford to Pease Pottage services in West Sussex Read more on this news related to 'Abnormal'
- Woman's Pulse Surges Through Her Neck, Reveals Heart Condition
A 33-year-old woman in Canada who had large, abnormal pulses that were clearly visible in her neck ultimately needed surgery to combat a bacterial infection in her heart, according to a new report of her case. The pulses were observed while the woman was being evaluated to see if she needed a replacement heart valve. Such abnormal pulses are actually common, and a Read more on this news related to 'Abnormal'