Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abnormal'
- not normal; not typical or usual or regular or conforming to a norm; "abnormal powers of concentration"; "abnormal amounts of rain"; "abnormal circumstances"; "an abnormal interest in food" [ant: normal]
- departing from the normal in e.g. intelligence and development; "they were heartbroken when they learned their child was abnormal"; "an abnormal personality" [ant: normal]
- much greater than the normal; "abnormal profits"; "abnormal ambition"
- Abnormal \Ab*nor"mal\, a. [For earlier anormal.F. anormal, LL.
anormalus for anomalus, Gr. ?. Confused with L. abnormis. See
Anomalous, Abnormous, Anormal.]
Not conformed to rule or system; deviating from the type;
anomalous; irregular. ``That deviating from the type;
anomalous; irregular. '' --Froude.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abnormal'
Abnormality, in the vivid sense of something deviating from the normal or differing from the typical (such as an aberration), is a subjectively defined behavioral characteristic, assigned to those with rare or dysfunctional conditions. Defining who is normal or abnormal is a contentious issue in abnormal psychology.
A common approach to defining abnormality is a Multi-Criteria approach, where all definitions of abnormality are used to determine whether an individuals behavior is abnormal. For example, if an individual is engaging in a particular behavior that is preventing them from 'functioning', breaks a social norm and is statistically infrequent, then psychologists would be prepared to define this individual's behavior as abnormal. A good example of an abnormal behavior assessed by a multi-criteria approach is depression: it is commonly seen as a deviation from ideal mental stability, it often stops the individual from 'functioning' a normal life, and, although it is a relatively common mental disorder, it is still statistically infrequent; most people will not experience significant major depressive disorder in their lifetime 3.[See more about Abnormal at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Abnormal'
Abnormal Sample Sentences in News
- To Your Good Health: Exercise a powerful tool to lower blood sugar
Dear Dr. Roach: I had an abnormal blood sugar reading of 111, where the normal range is 65-99. My primary care doctor has been monitoring it and doesn’t feel it to be of concern. What can I do to bring the number down? I take folic acid daily with other vitamin and mineral supplements. I’ve had cinnamon recommended by friends who have had success. Is this some Read more on this news related to 'Abnormal'
- Fire outbreaks in the country are abnormal - NFS
The National Fire Service (NFS) says the incidences of fire outbreaks in the first quarter of this year are above a normal level. The recent fires across the country have so far claimed eight lives. Read more on this news related to 'Abnormal'
- Best Friends Animal Society Study Links Abnormal Behaviors to Canines Sold in Pet Stores
Dogs purchased from pet stores are more likely to have a range of behavior problems than those purchased from small, non-commercial breeders, says a new study released today from r Read more on this news related to 'Abnormal'