Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Worn'
- impairment resulting from long use; "the tires showed uneven wear"
- a covering designed to be worn on a person's body [syn: clothing, article of clothing, vesture]
- the act of having on your person as a covering or adornment; "she bought it for everyday wear" [syn: wearing] v
- be dressed in; "She was wearing yellow that day" [syn: have on}]
- have on one's person; "He wore a red ribbon"; "bear a scar" [syn: bear]
- have in one's aspect; wear an expression of one's attitude or personality; "He always wears a smile"
- deteriorate through use or stress; "The constant friction wore out the cloth" [syn: wear off, wear out, wear thin}]
- have or show an appearance of; "wear one's hair in a certain way"
- last and be usable; "This dress wore well for almost ten years" [syn: hold out, endure]
- go to pieces; "The lawn mower finally broke"; "The gears wore out"; "The old chair finally fell apart completely" [syn: break, wear out, bust, fall apart]
- exhaust or tire through overuse or great strain or stress; "We wore ourselves out on this hike" [syn: tire, wear upon, tire out, weary, jade, wear out, outwear, wear down, fag out, fag, fatigue] [ant: refresh]
- put clothing on one's body; "What should I wear today?"; "He put on his best suit for the wedding"; "The princess donned a long blue dress"; "The queen assumed the stately robes"; "He got into his jeans" [syn: put on, get into, don, assume] [also: worn, wore]
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Worn'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Worn'
In materials science, wear is the erosion of material from a solid surface by the action of another surface. It is related to surface interactions and more specifically the removal of material from a surface as a result of mechanical action.
The definition of wear does not include loss of dimension from plastic deformation, although wear has occurred despite no material removal, because it may lack the action of another surface. This definition also fails to include impact wear, where there is no sliding motion, cavitation, where the counterbody is a fluid, and corrosion, where the damage is due to chemical rather than mechanical action.
Wear can also be defined as a process in which interaction of the surfaces or bounding faces of a solid with its working environment results in dimensional loss of the solid, with or without loss of material. Aspects of the working environment which affect wear include loads (such as unidirectional sliding, reciprocating, rolling, and impact loads), speed, temperature, type of counterbody (solid, liquid, or gas), and type of contact (single phase or multiphase, in which the phases involved can be liquid plus solid particles plus gas bubbles).[See more about Worn at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Worn'
'Worn' in famous quotation sentence
* The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them. - Mark Twain
* The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Worn'
Worn Sample Sentences in News
- Now Every Cop Can Have a Body Worn Camera; VIEVU Offers 'Straight Shooter 25', the no Cost Startup Program for Law ...
Zero Upfront Costs, Zero Hidden Cost Makes Deployment Easy for Public Safety Budgets Read more on this news related to 'Worn'
- Gatekeeper Announces Increased Interest In Its XFORCE HD Body Worn Cameras After Shooting Incident in Ferguson, Missouri
Abbotsford, BC / ACCESSWIRE / August 26, 2014 / Gatekeeper Systems Inc. ("Gatekeeper" or the "Company") (TSX.V: GSI) has experienced significant increased interest on its high definition ... Read more on this news related to 'Worn'
- 2014 NFL countdown: 9 days and a look at the Cardinals history of No. 9
The Arizona Cardinals have a very short list of players who have worn jersey No. 9. Since there are nine days left until the Cardinals take the field to open their season. In 2012, he set an NFL record for punts downed inside the 20 and was awful close to setting the record for number of punts in a season. Read more on this news related to 'Worn'