Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Wincing'
Wincing Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Wince \Wince\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Winced; p. pr. & vb. n.
Wincing.] [OE. wincen, winchen, OF. quencir, guenchir,
guenchier, giencier, guinchier, and (assumed) winchier,
winchir, to give way, to turn aside, fr. OHG. wankjan,
wenken, to give way, to waver, fr. winchan to turn aside, to
nod, akin to E. wink. See Wink.]
- To shrink, as from a blow, or from pain; to flinch; to start back. I will not stir, nor wince, nor speak a word. --Shak.
- To kick or flounce when unsteady, or impatient at a rider; as, a horse winces.
- Wincing \Win"cing\, n.
The act of washing cloth, dipping it in dye, etc., with a
(a) A wince. --Ure.
(b) A succession of winces. See Wince. --Knight.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Wincing'
- Wincing the Night Away: com/article/record_review/40605-wincing-the-night-away 1/22/07 ... Wincing the Night Away is a Grammy -nominated album by indie rock group The ...
Words and phrases related to 'Wincing'
Wincing Sample Sentences in News
- Brad Marchand Leaves Morning Skate Early With Apparent Injury, ‘Wincing in Pain’
Dennis Seidenberg, Andrew Ference and Wade Redden were all missing from morning skate on Thursday, but they weren’t alone. Winger Brad Marchand left the ice early with an apparent injury, according to reports. Marchand left about 20 minutes into the skate during 2-on-1 drills. Newsday’s Steve Zipay tweets that it wasn’t a hit and that […] Read more on this news related to 'Wincing'
- Why my smartphone is not smart
“Do only young people buy your phones?” I barked, wincing inside at having lumped myself with the non-young. I was at the store where I had bought my not-yet-8-months-old smartphone, my first, and... Read more on this news related to 'Wincing'
- Biggest payroll in the MLB this year: trainers
Talk about wincing all the way to the bank. Baseball's three best-paid players this season — the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez and Derek... Read more on this news related to 'Wincing'