Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Whorl'
Whorl Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a round shape formed by a series of concentric circles [syn: coil, roll, curl, curlicue, ringlet, gyre, scroll]
- a strand or cluster of hair [syn: lock, curl, ringlet]
- a structure consisting of something wound in a continuous series of loops; "a coil of rope" [syn: coil, spiral, volute, helix]
- Whorl \Whorl\, n. [OE. whorvil the whirl of a spindle; akin to
AS. hweorfa the whirl of a spindle, hweorfan to turn; cf. OD.
worvel the whirl of a spindle. See Whirl, n. & v.]
- (Bot.) A circle of two or more leaves, flowers, or other organs, about the same part or joint of a stem.
- (Zo["o]l.) A volution, or turn, of the spire of a univalve shell.
- (Spinning) The fly of a spindle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Whorl'
- Whorl: A whorl is a type of spiral or circular pattern. Other meanings of whorl include: Whorl (botany), used to describe the attachment of sepals ...
- Whorl (mollusc): A whorl is a single, complete 360° revolution or turn in the spiral growth of a mollusc shell . A spiral configuration of the shell is ...
- Body whorl: Body whorl is part of the morphology of a coiled gastropod mollusk . In gastropods: In gastropods, the body whorl is the most recently- ...
- Whorl (botany): In botany, a whorl is an arrangement of sepal s, petal s, leaves , or branch es in which all the parts are attached at the same point and ...
- Hair whorl: A hair whorl is a patch of hair growing in the opposite direction of the rest of the hair. Hair whorls occur in most hairy animals, on ...
- Desmoulin's whorl snail: Desmoulin's whorl snail, scientific name Vertigo moulinsiana, is a species of minute air-breathing land snail , a terrestrial pulmonate ...
Words and phrases related to 'Whorl'