White Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- (usually in the plural) trousers
- (board games) the lighter pieces
- the quality or state of the achromatic color of greatest lightness (bearing the least resemblance to black)
- a tributary of the Mississippi River that flows southeastward through northern Arkansas and southern Missouri
- a member of the Caucasoid race
- United States educator who in 1865 (with Ezra Cornell) founded Cornell University and served as its first president (1832-1918)
- United States writer noted for his humorous essays (1899-1985)
- United States architect (1853-1906)
- United States political journalist (1915-1986)
- Australian writer (1912-1990)
- turn white; "This detergent will whiten your laundry"
- of or belonging to a racial group having light skin coloration; "voting patterns within the white population"
- of summer nights in northern latitudes where the sun barely sets; "white nights"
- being of the achromatic color of maximum lightness; having little or no hue owing to reflection of almost all incident light; "as white as fresh snow"; "a bride''s white dress"
- ash-colored or anemic looking from illness or emotion; "a face turned ashen"; "the invalid''s blanched cheeks"; "tried to speak with bloodless lips"; "a face livid with shock"; "lips...livid with the hue of death"- Mary W. Shelley; "lips white with terror
- (of hair) having lost its color; "the white hairs of old age"
- dressed (or especially habited) in white; "white nuns"
- (of coffee) having cream or milk added
- of a surface; not written or printed on; "blank pages"; "fill in the blank spaces"; "a clean page"; "wide white margins"
- benevolent; without malicious intent; "white magic"; "a white lie"; "that''s white of you"
- glowing white with heat; "white flames"; "a white-hot center of the fire"
- restricted to whites only; "under segregation there were even white restrooms and white drinking fountains"; "a lily-white movement which would expel Negroes from the organization"
- marked by the presence of snow; "a white Christmas"; "the white hills of a northern winter"
- free from moral blemish or impurity; unsullied; "in shining white armor"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a member of the Caucasoid race ,
- the quality or state of the achromatic color of greatest lightness (bearing the least resemblance to black) ,
- United States jurist appointed chief justice of the United States Supreme Court in 1910 by President Taft; noted for his work on antitrust legislation (1845-1921) ,
- Australian writer (1912-1990) ,
- United States political journalist (1915-1986) ,
- United States architect (1853-1906) ,
- United States writer noted for his humorous essays (1899-1985) ,
- United States educator who in 1865 (with Ezra Cornell) founded Cornell University and served as its first president (1832-1918) ,
- a tributary of the Mississippi River that flows southeastward through northern Arkansas and southern Missouri , 10. the white part of an egg; the nutritive and protective gelatinous substance surrounding the yolk consisting mainly of albumin dissolved in water; "she separated the whites from the yolks of several eggs" , 1
- (board games) the lighter pieces , 1
- (usually in the plural) trousers made of flannel or gabardine or tweed or white cloth
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'White'?
White Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
White is the color of pure sunlight. White light can be made by putting all the other colors of light on the spectrum together. These other colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
White is linked with light, goodness, innocence, purity, cleanliness and virginity. It is thought to be the color of perfection. The opposite of black, white usually has a positive connotation. White can stand for a successful beginning. In heraldry, white depicts faith and purity.
In advertising, white is linked with coolness and cleanliness because it is the color of snow. You can use white to show simplicity in high-tech products. White is an appropriate color for charitable organizations; angels are usually imagined wearing white clothes. White is associated with hospitals, doctors, and sterility, so you can use white to show safety when promoting medical products. White is often linked with low weight, low-fat food, and dairy products.
Words and phrases related to 'White'
'White' example sentence in quotations
* Happy Son of a bitch ball. Why can't you go home Aren't you good enough for your home Answer me. Suck my white ass ball. - Happy Gilmore
* I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice who constantly says 'I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action' who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for someone else's freedom who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a 'more convenient season.' - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Click here for more related quotations on 'White'
White Sample Sentences in News
- White House accuses Republicans of 'fishing expeditions'
The White House on Sunday accused Republicans of conducting political "fishing expeditions," while Republican lawmakers showed no let up in attacking President Barack Obama's administration for ... Read more on this news related to 'White'
- White House Aide Calls Criticism of Obama ‘Offensive’
Dan Pfeiffer, a senior White House adviser, appeared on five network talk shows to mount a defense against Republican lawmakers who accused the president of mismanagement. Read more on this news related to 'White'
- Angels 6, White Sox 2
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Jason Vargas threw seven scoreless innings, and the Los Angeles Angels made the most of their seven hits on the way to a 6-2 victory over the Chicago White Sox Sunday afternoon at Angel Stadium. Read more on this news related to 'White'