Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Whelp'
Whelp Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : young of any of various canines such as a dog or wolf [syn:
v : birth; "the dog whelped" [syn: pup]
- Whelp \Whelp\, n. [AS. hwelp; akin to D. welp, G. & OHG. welf,
Icel. hvelpr, Dan. hvalp, Sw. valp.]
- One of the young of a dog or a beast of prey; a puppy; a cub; as, a lion's whelps. ``A bear robbed of her whelps.'' --2 Sam. xvii. 8.
- A child; a youth; -- jocosely or in contempt. That awkward whelp with his money bags would have made his entrance. --Addison.
- (Naut.) One of the longitudinal ribs or ridges on the barrel of a capstan or a windless; -- usually in the plural; as, the whelps of a windlass.
- One of the teeth of a sprocket wheel.
- Whelp \Whelp\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Whelped; p. pr. & vb. n.
To bring forth young; -- said of the female of the dog and
some beasts of prey.
- Whelp \Whelp\, v. t.
To bring forth, as cubs or young; to give birth to.
Unless she had whelped it herself, she could not have
loved a thing better. --B. Jonson.
Did thy foul fancy whelp so black a scheme? --Young.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Whelp'
- Whelp: The term Whelp can refer to: A Whelp : a young, carnivorous mammal , essentially one that is still dependent on its parent(s) for food, ...
- HMS Whelp (R37): HMS Whelp was a W-class destroyer of the Royal Navy (RN) that was ordered and launched during the Second World War . After completing ...
- HMS Whelp: One ship of the Royal Navy has borne the name HMS Whelp, while another was planned. Another twelve have borne the name Lion's Whelp: ...
- Lyon's Whelp: The Lyon's Whelp was the name of several British naval ships dating back to the 17th century. Ten ships of the name were built for ...
- Whelp Street: Whelp Street is a hamlet in the parish of Preston St Mary , in the Babergh District in the English County of Suffolk . _ TOC ...
- Whelping box: A whelping box (also nesting box or whelping pen) is designed to protect puppies during birth (whelping) and early life by keeping them ...
Words and phrases related to 'Whelp'
Whelp Sample Sentences in News
- Fantasy Football waiver wire: 5 running backs to target for Week 3
If you somehow have avoided the injury bug in Week 2, you should probably play the lotto. If not, here are some backs to help your fantasy team get through some tougher times. Whelp. Just like every season before this one, the injuries are piling up at the running back position. Let's go over which fantasy backs are banged up right now: Jamaal Charles has a hi Read more on this news related to 'Whelp'