Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Whelming'
Whelming Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Whelm \Whelm\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Whelmed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Whelming.] [OE. whelmen to turn over, akin to OE. whelven,
AS. whelfan, hwylfan, in ?whylfan, ?whelfan, to overwhelm,
cover over; akin to OS. bihwelbian, D. welven to arch, G.
w["o]lben, OHG. welben, Icel. hvelfa to overturn; cf. Gr. ?
bosom, a hollow, a gulf.]
- To cover with water or other fluid; to cover by immersion in something that envelops on all sides; to overwhelm; to ingulf. She is my prize, or ocean whelm them all! --Shak. The whelming billow and the faithless oar. --Gay.
- Fig.: To cover completely, as if with water; to immerse; to overcome; as, to whelm one in sorrows. ``The whelming weight of crime.'' --J. H. Newman.
- To throw (something) over a thing so as to cover it. [Obs.] --Mortimer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Whelming'
Words and phrases related to 'Whelming'
Whelming Sample Sentences in News
- David Guetta Fans Detained In Glasgow After Another Under-whelming Performance
David Guetta recently played a show in Glasgow recently and it seems that his performance caused quite a riot. He took to Bellahouston Park, according to STV News on Saturday night, to play his covey of hits to a mixed review and apparently some fans didn’t want the party to stop. According to the report, Read more on this news related to 'Whelming'
- Is Xiaomi MI3 Smartphone A Game Changer?
BANGALORE: Xiaomi’s MI3 smartphone, which almost crashed the e-commerce website Flipkart, received over whelming response from the buyers. Often called as “Apple of china”, MI3 successfully outshines other smartphones in the same price range. Read more on this news related to 'Whelming'