Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Weeping'
adj : showing sorrow [syn: dolorous, dolourous, lachrymose,
n : the process of shedding tears (usually accompanied by sobs
or other inarticulate sounds); "I hate to hear the crying
of a child"; "she was in tears" [syn: crying, tears]
- Weeping \Weep"ing\, n.
The act of one who weeps; lamentation with tears; shedding of
- Weeping \Weep"ing\, a.
- Grieving; lamenting; shedding tears. ``Weeping eyes.'' --I. Watts.
- Discharging water, or other liquid, in drops or very slowly; surcharged with water. ``Weeping grounds.'' --Mortimer.
- Having slender, pendent branches; -- said of trees; as, weeping willow; a weeping ash.
- Pertaining to lamentation, or those who weep. Weeping cross, a cross erected on or by the highway, especially for the devotions of penitents; hence, to return by the weeping cross, to return from some undertaking in humiliation or penitence. Weeping rock, a porous rock from which water gradually issues. Weeping sinew, a ganglion. See Ganglion, n.,
- [Colloq.] Weeping spring, a spring that discharges water slowly. Weeping willow (Bot.), a species of willow (Salix Babylonica}) whose branches grow very long and slender, and hang down almost perpendicularly.
- Weep \Weep\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Wept; p. pr. & vb. n.
Weeping.] [OE. wepen, AS. w?pan, from w?p lamentation; akin
to OFries. w?pa to lament, OS. w?p lamentation, OHG. wuof,
Icel. ?p a shouting, crying, OS. w?pian to lament, OHG.
wuoffan, wuoffen, Icel. ?pa, Goth. w?pjan. ????.]
- Formerly, to express sorrow, grief, or anguish, by outcry, or by other manifest signs; in modern use, to show grief or other passions by shedding tears; to shed tears; to cry. And they all wept sore, and fell on Paul's neck. --Acts xx. 37. Phocion was rarely seen to weep or to laugh. --Mitford. And eyes that wake to weep. --Mrs. Hemans.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Weeping'
Crying (also called sobbing, wailing, weeping, bawling, and blubbering) is shedding tears as a response to an emotional state in humans. The act of crying has been defined as "a complex secretomotor phenomenon characterized by the shedding of tears from the lacrimal apparatus, without any irritation of the ocular structures". The medical term for this is to lacrimate, which also refers to non-emotional shedding of "tears".
A neuronal connection between the lacrimal gland (tear duct) and the areas of the human brain involved with emotion was established. No other animals are thought to produce tears in response to emotional states,
In many cultures, it is more socially acceptable for women and children to cry, and less socially acceptable for men to cry.
Tears produced during emotional crying have a chemical composition which differs from other types of tears. They contain significantly greater quantities of the hormones prolactin, adrenocorticotropic hormone, Leu-enkephalin[See more about Weeping at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Weeping'
'Weeping' in famous quotation sentence
* The truth is, laughter always sounds more perfect than weeping. Laughter flows in a violent riff and is effortlessly melodic. Weeping is often fought, choked, half strangled, or surrendered to with humiliation. - Anne Rice
Click here for more related quotations on 'Weeping'
Weeping Sample Sentences in News
- Weeping cop jailed for drug bender
A TWEED cop who lied about having a drug bender on the Gold Coast has been jailed today, but it’s unlikely he’ll spend a night behind bars. Read more on this news related to 'Weeping'
- Rock out to an original song by Weeping Molly
Richmond-based band Weeping Molly rocked the studio this morning with their original song, “Mistreated.” Read more on this news related to 'Weeping'
- Man gets 15 years for impregnating girl, 12
A weeping mother told a McHenry County judge she was “in shock” when she found out her 12-year-old daughter was pregnant -- and then learned the man responsible was a close family friend. Read more on this news related to 'Weeping'