Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Weep'
v : shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain; "She cried
bitterly when she heard the news of his death"; "The girl
in the wheelchair wept with frustration when she could
not get up the stairs" [syn: cry] [ant: laugh]
- Weep \Weep\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Wept; p. pr. & vb. n.
Weeping.] [OE. wepen, AS. w?pan, from w?p lamentation; akin
to OFries. w?pa to lament, OS. w?p lamentation, OHG. wuof,
Icel. ?p a shouting, crying, OS. w?pian to lament, OHG.
wuoffan, wuoffen, Icel. ?pa, Goth. w?pjan. ????.]
- Formerly, to express sorrow, grief, or anguish, by outcry, or by other manifest signs; in modern use, to show grief or other passions by shedding tears; to shed tears; to cry. And they all wept sore, and fell on Paul's neck. --Acts xx. 37. Phocion was rarely seen to weep or to laugh. --Mitford. And eyes that wake to weep. --Mrs. Hemans. And they wept together in silence. --Longfellow.
- To lament; to complain. ``They weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat.'' --Num. xi. 13.
- To flow in drops; to run in drops. The blood weeps from my heart. --Shak.
- To drop water, or the like; to drip; to be soaked.
- To hang the branches, as if in sorrow; to be pendent; to droop; -- said of a plant or its branches.
- Weep \Weep\, v. t.
- To lament; to bewail; to bemoan. ``I weep bitterly the dead.'' --A. S. Hardy. We wandering go Through dreary wastes, and weep each other's woe. --Pope.
- To shed, or pour forth, as tears; to shed drop by drop, as if tears; as, to weep tears of joy. Tears, such as angels weep, burst forth. --Milton. Groves whose rich trees wept odorous gums and balm. --Milton.
- Weep \Weep\, n. (Zo["o]l.)
The lapwing; the wipe; -- so called from its cry.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Weep'
A weep or a weep-brick is a small opening that allows water to drain from within an assembly. Weeps are located at the bottom of the object to allow for drainage; the weep hole must be sized adequately to overcome surface tension.
In building construction, weeps are typically found in a masonry cavity wall, just above the flashing. Weeps may take several forms, including:
Weeps may also be necessary in a retaining wall, so water can escape from the retained earth, thus lessening the hydrostatic load on the wall and preventing moisture damage from freeze/thaw cycles. In such cases the weeps consist of small-diameter plastic, clay or metal pipes extending through the wall to a layer of porous backfill.
Typically, weeps are arranged to direct water which may have entered an assembly from outside back to the outside. Weeps may also be found in metal windows and glazed curtain walls to permit internal condensation to escape.[See more about Weep at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Weep'
'Weep' in famous quotation sentence
* It's no accident many accuse me of conducting public affairs with my heart instead of my head. Well, what if I do ... Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how to laugh either. - Golda Meir
* Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either. - Golda Meir
Click here for more related quotations on 'Weep'
Weep Sample Sentences in News
- Parents weep for Queens toddler who inexplicably died
The parents of a 14-month-old Queens girl who mysteriously died after her father picked her up from day care cried all night after their child passed away. Read more on this news related to 'Weep'
- Watch a man weep tears of joy when he finds out he’s getting Google Fiber
What was the happiest day of your life? The day you got married? The day you saw your newborn child for the very first time? The day you graduated college and knew you had a bright future ahead of you? Not for this man. For this man, the happiest day of his life appears to be when he found out he’d finally be able to ditch his current Internet provider for Goog Read more on this news related to 'Weep'
- Teens Weep After Breaking Into NBA Star's Home
Police are investigating after a group of teenagers broke into the home of Miami Heat free agent Ray Allen early Thursday, officials said. Read more on this news related to 'Weep'