Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Weep'
v : shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain; "She cried
bitterly when she heard the news of his death"; "The girl
in the wheelchair wept with frustration when she could
not get up the stairs" [syn: cry] [ant: laugh]
- Weep \Weep\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Wept; p. pr. & vb. n.
Weeping.] [OE. wepen, AS. w?pan, from w?p lamentation; akin
to OFries. w?pa to lament, OS. w?p lamentation, OHG. wuof,
Icel. ?p a shouting, crying, OS. w?pian to lament, OHG.
wuoffan, wuoffen, Icel. ?pa, Goth. w?pjan. ????.]
- Formerly, to express sorrow, grief, or anguish, by outcry, or by other manifest signs; in modern use, to show grief or other passions by shedding tears; to shed tears; to cry. And they all wept sore, and fell on Paul's neck. --Acts xx. 37. Phocion was rarely seen to weep or to laugh. --Mitford. And eyes that wake to weep. --Mrs. Hemans. And they wept together in silence. --Longfellow.
- To lament; to complain. ``They weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat.'' --Num. xi. 13.
- To flow in drops; to run in drops. The blood weeps from my heart. --Shak.
- To drop water, or the like; to drip; to be soaked.
- To hang the branches, as if in sorrow; to be pendent; to droop; -- said of a plant or its branches.
- Weep \Weep\, v. t.
- To lament; to bewail; to bemoan. ``I weep bitterly the dead.'' --A. S. Hardy. We wandering go Through dreary wastes, and weep each other's woe. --Pope.
- To shed, or pour forth, as tears; to shed drop by drop, as if tears; as, to weep tears of joy. Tears, such as angels weep, burst forth. --Milton. Groves whose rich trees wept odorous gums and balm. --Milton.
- Weep \Weep\, n. (Zo["o]l.)
The lapwing; the wipe; -- so called from its cry.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Weep'
A weep or a weep-brick is a small opening that allows water to drain from within an assembly. Weeps are located at the bottom of the object to allow for drainage; the weep hole must be sized adequately to overcome surface tension.
In building construction, weeps are typically found in a masonry cavity wall, just above the flashing. Weeps may take several forms, including:
Weeps may also be necessary in a retaining wall, so water can escape from the retained earth, thus lessening the hydrostatic load on the wall and preventing moisture damage from freeze/thaw cycles. In such cases the weeps consist of small-diameter plastic, clay or metal pipes extending through the wall to a layer of porous backfill.
Typically, weeps are arranged to direct water which may have entered an assembly from outside back to the outside. Weeps may also be found in metal windows and glazed curtain walls to permit internal condensation to escape.[See more about Weep at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Weep'
'Weep' in famous quotation sentence
* It's no accident many accuse me of conducting public affairs with my heart instead of my head. Well, what if I do ... Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how to laugh either. - Golda Meir
* Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either. - Golda Meir
Click here for more related quotations on 'Weep'
Weep Sample Sentences in News
- Sachin Tendulkar makes celebs weep
The cricketer, who played his last match, has made a lot of people including the biggest celebs weep Read more on this news related to 'Weep'
- ASUU strike: Matters arising
It is a time to weep for Nigeria; how can a country play with the education of younger generation? Recently, a certain character mandated the Academic Staff Union of Universities to call of its four months old strike. We need to weep for Nigeria when illiterates and semi -illiterates can stand to insult erudite scholars.... [Read More...] Read more on this news related to 'Weep'
- House for sale: Asking price $1
Watch and weep would-be Auckland house buyers.A large home is being sold in Invercargill with an asking price of just $1.The only catch is that anyone who wants to Read more on this news related to 'Weep'