Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Watchword'
- a slogan used to rally support for a cause; "a cry to arms"; "our watchword will be `democracy'" [syn: war cry, rallying cry, battle cry, cry]
- a secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group; "he forgot the password" [syn: password, word, parole, countersign]
- Watchword \Watch"word`\, n.
- A word given to sentinels, and to such as have occasion to visit the guards, used as a signal by which a friend is known from an enemy, or a person who has a right to pass the watch from one who has not; a countersign; a password.
- A sentiment or motto; esp., one used as a rallying cry or a signal for action. Nor deal in watchwords overmuch. --Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Watchword'
A password is a secret word or string of characters that is used for authentication, to prove identity or gain access to a resource (example: an access code is a type of password). The password should be kept secret from those not allowed access.
The use of passwords is known to be ancient. Sentries would challenge those wishing to enter an area or approaching it to supply a password or watchword. Sentries would only allow a person or group to pass if they knew the password. In modern times, user names and passwords are commonly used by people during a log in process that controls access to protected computer operating systems, mobile phones, cable TV decoders, automated teller machines (ATMs), etc. A typical computer user may require passwords for many purposes: logging in to computer accounts, retrieving e-mail from servers, accessing programs, databases, networks, web sites, and even reading the morning newspaper online.[See more about Watchword at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Watchword'
Watchword Sample Sentences in News
- Cautious trading seen ahead
Caution is the watchword market traders may be guided by in the weeks ahead. Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'
- About the House: Avoid fraud, scams and slick-talk
Sometimes the watchword of the day is a phrase, like “Watch Your Back.” Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'
- Manchester United boosted by news Juventus must sell either Arturo Vidal or Paul Pogba
Manchester United have been boosted in their pursuit of Arturo Vidal because Juventus need to sell one of their star players. President Andrea Agnelli’s watchword is self-financing, and Juve must cash in on either Vidal or Paul Pogba to balance their books. Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'