Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Watchword'
- a slogan used to rally support for a cause; "a cry to arms"; "our watchword will be `democracy'" [syn: war cry, rallying cry, battle cry, cry]
- a secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group; "he forgot the password" [syn: password, word, parole, countersign]
- Watchword \Watch"word`\, n.
- A word given to sentinels, and to such as have occasion to visit the guards, used as a signal by which a friend is known from an enemy, or a person who has a right to pass the watch from one who has not; a countersign; a password.
- A sentiment or motto; esp., one used as a rallying cry or a signal for action. Nor deal in watchwords overmuch. --Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Watchword'
A password is a secret word or string of characters that is used for authentication, to prove identity or gain access to a resource (example: an access code is a type of password). The password should be kept secret from those not allowed access.
The use of passwords is known to be ancient. Sentries would challenge those wishing to enter an area or approaching it to supply a password or watchword. Sentries would only allow a person or group to pass if they knew the password. In modern times, user names and passwords are commonly used by people during a log in process that controls access to protected computer operating systems, mobile phones, cable TV decoders, automated teller machines (ATMs), etc. A typical computer user may require passwords for many purposes: logging in to computer accounts, retrieving e-mail from servers, accessing programs, databases, networks, web sites, and even reading the morning newspaper online.[See more about Watchword at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Watchword'
Watchword Sample Sentences in News
- VMware CEO: Be brave and partner
“Brave” is the current watchword for virtualization software giant VMware. “Brave leaders need to be thoughtful, decisive, bold,” said VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger to the audience of over 22,000 at VMworld conference in San Francisco Monday this week, or who were listening in by webcast. “Life is defined by the brave acts that we take,” Gelsinger said, in Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'
- VMworld 2014: Be brave and partner, says Gelsinger
"Brave" is the current watchword for virtualization software giant VMware. Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'
- Biosecurity-ready chaser bin
BIOSECURITY is an ag watchword and the easy cleanout capabilities of Davimac’s chaser bins is meeting market needs. Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'