Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Watchword'
- a slogan used to rally support for a cause; "a cry to arms"; "our watchword will be `democracy'" [syn: war cry, rallying cry, battle cry, cry]
- a secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group; "he forgot the password" [syn: password, word, parole, countersign]
- Watchword \Watch"word`\, n.
- A word given to sentinels, and to such as have occasion to visit the guards, used as a signal by which a friend is known from an enemy, or a person who has a right to pass the watch from one who has not; a countersign; a password.
- A sentiment or motto; esp., one used as a rallying cry or a signal for action. Nor deal in watchwords overmuch. --Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Watchword'
A password is a secret word or string of characters that is used for authentication, to prove identity or gain access to a resource (example: an access code is a type of password). The password should be kept secret from those not allowed access.
The use of passwords is known to be ancient. Sentries would challenge those wishing to enter an area or approaching it to supply a password or watchword. Sentries would only allow a person or group to pass if they knew the password. In modern times, user names and passwords are commonly used by people during a log in process that controls access to protected computer operating systems, mobile phones, cable TV decoders, automated teller machines (ATMs), etc. A typical computer user may require passwords for many purposes: logging in to computer accounts, retrieving e-mail from servers, accessing programs, databases, networks, web sites, and even reading the morning newspaper online.[See more about Watchword at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Watchword'
Watchword Sample Sentences in News
- Consumers Buying More Traditional, Emotional Gifts This Mother's Day
?Tradition? is the watchword this year when it comes to Mother?s Day gifts, according to our annual Brand Keys survey of 5,200 men and women, ages 18-65. On the rational side of things, it turns out more than 9 out of 10 consumers (92%) plan to celebrate Mother?s Day some way, driving total spending to an estimated $18.6 billion. That?s an average spend of $171.00 Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'
- What Benghazi Truthers Are Looking For
Truth has been the watchword of the Benghazi controversy. "The goal here is to get to the truth," said House Speaker John Boehner said at a Thursday press conference. "Four Americans lost their lives. Their families want to know the truth. The American people want to know the truth. And I believe it is Congress’ obligation to get to the truth.& Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'
- No longer just fast and furious
Mumbai, May 6 -- Unbridled aggression was the watchword when the Indian Twenty20 league was launched in 2008 - batsmen cast as destroyers and the bowlers mostly reduced to a side act.Brendon McCullum's 158 not out in 73 balls struck the high notes in the inaugural game, the Kiwi hitting more sixes (13) than fours (10) in Kolkata Knight Riders' win over Roy Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'