Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Watchword'
- a slogan used to rally support for a cause; "a cry to arms"; "our watchword will be `democracy'" [syn: war cry, rallying cry, battle cry, cry]
- a secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group; "he forgot the password" [syn: password, word, parole, countersign]
- Watchword \Watch"word`\, n.
- A word given to sentinels, and to such as have occasion to visit the guards, used as a signal by which a friend is known from an enemy, or a person who has a right to pass the watch from one who has not; a countersign; a password.
- A sentiment or motto; esp., one used as a rallying cry or a signal for action. Nor deal in watchwords overmuch. --Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Watchword'
A password is a secret word or string of characters that is used for authentication, to prove identity or gain access to a resource (example: an access code is a type of password). The password should be kept secret from those not allowed access.
The use of passwords is known to be ancient. Sentries would challenge those wishing to enter an area or approaching it to supply a password or watchword. Sentries would only allow a person or group to pass if they knew the password. In modern times, user names and passwords are commonly used by people during a log in process that controls access to protected computer operating systems, mobile phones, cable TV decoders, automated teller machines (ATMs), etc. A typical computer user may require passwords for many purposes: logging in to computer accounts, retrieving e-mail from servers, accessing programs, databases, networks, web sites, and even reading the morning newspaper online.[See more about Watchword at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Watchword'
Watchword Sample Sentences in News
- Stability the watchword as China leaders steer reforms
Just four months after unveiling the boldest set of economic and social reforms in nearly three decades, China's top leaders meet next week to discuss implementing the changes - but chances are they will play it safe. The ambitious reform agenda and China's intended shift from investment- and export-fuelled growth towards a slower, more balanced and sustai Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'
- Too Many Messages, Not Enough 'Work'
Distraction is the new watchword of the American workplace: Smaller budgets have banished the private office as the “open floor plan” is inflicted on more and more workers. Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'
- Freddy Gauthier sustains Rimouski roll, Petes pick up pace: CHL Hot & Cold
In a year where parity is the watchword out east, Toronto Maple Leafs first-rounder Frédérik Gauthier and the Rimouski Océanic are bucking the odds with an 11-game win streak at crunch time. Big things were expected for the Océanic after … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Watchword'