Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Warring'
- the waging of armed conflict against an enemy; "thousands of people were killed in the war" [syn: warfare]
- a legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply; "war was declared in November but actual fighting did not begin until the following spring" [syn: state of war] [ant: peace]
- an active struggle between competing entities; "a price war"; "a war of wits"; "diplomatic warfare" [syn: warfare]
- a concerted campaign to end something that is injurious; "the war on poverty"; "the war against crime" v : make or wage war [ant: make peace] [also: warring, warred]
adj : engaged in war; "belligerent (or warring) nations"; "a
fighting war" [syn: belligerent, fighting, militant,
- War \War\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Warred; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To make war; to invade or attack a state or nation with force of arms; to carry on hostilities; to be in a state by violence. Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it. --Isa. vii. 1. Why should I war without the walls of Troy? --Shak. Our countrymen were warring on that day! --Byron.
- To contend; to strive violently; to fight. ``Lusts which war against the soul.'' --1 Pet. ii. 11.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Warring'
War is a phenomenon of organized violent conflict, The objective of warfare differs in accord with a group's role in a conflict: The goals of offensive warfare are typically the submission, assimilation or destruction of another group, while the goals of defensive warfare are simply the repulsion of the offensive force and, often, survival itself. Relative to each other, combatants in warfare are called enemies. The terms military, militant, and militarism each refer to fundamental aspects of war, i.e. the organized group, the combative individual, and the supportive ethos (respectively).
As a behavioral pattern, aggression is exhibited by many primate species and is sometimes characterized as "war". The primary feature of this behaviour pattern is a certain state of organized conflict that is engaged in between two or more separate social entities. Such a conflict is always an attempt at altering either the psychological hierarchy or the material hierarchy of domination or equality between two or more groups. In all cases, at least one participant (group) in the conflict perceives the need to either psychologically or materially dominate the other participant.[See more about Warring at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Warring'
'Warring' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Warring'
Warring Sample Sentences in News
- UN envoy urges Syria's warring sides to save Homs
BEIRUT (AP) — The United Nations envoy to Syria on Thursday said the besieged central city of Homs has become a "theater of death and destruction," and he urged both sides in the country's civil war to return to negotiations. Read more on this news related to 'Warring'
- Warring families get day in court
TWO warring families are headed for a showdown in court with police as they fight charges of a wild street brawl in Coledale. Read more on this news related to 'Warring'
- Syria at 'critical moment', China tells opposition chief
Syria has reached a "critical moment" as the world awaits news of fresh peace talks, China's foreign minister told the warring nation's opposition leader Ahmad Jarba in Beijing Wednesday. Wang Yi was speaking at the start of four days of talks with a delegation led by the head of the Syrian National Coalition, as Beijing attempts to portray a neu Read more on this news related to 'Warring'