Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Visionary'
adj : not practical or realizable; speculative; "airy theories
about socioeconomic improvement"; "visionary schemes
for getting rich" [syn: airy, impractical, Laputan]
- a person given to fanciful speculations and enthusiasms with little regard for what is actually possible
- a person with unusual powers of foresight [syn: illusionist, seer]
- Visionary \Vi"sion*a*ry\, a. [Cf. F. visionnaire.]
- Of or pertaining to a visions or visions; characterized by, appropriate to, or favorable for, visions.
- Visionary \Vi"sion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Visionaries.
- One whose imagination is disturbed; one who sees visions or phantoms.
- One whose imagination overpowers his reason and controls his judgment; an unpractical schemer; one who builds castles in the air; a daydreamer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Visionary'
Defined broadly, a visionary, is one who can envision the future. For some groups this can involve the supernatural or drugs.
The visionary state is achieved via meditation, drugs, lucid dreams, daydreams, or art. One example is Hildegard of Bingen, a 12th century artist/visionary and Catholic saint. Other visionaries in religion are Mohammed (who had a vision of and communed with the Angel Gabriel), St. Bernadette (who had a vision of and communed with the Blessed Virgin), and Joseph Smith (who had a vision of and communed with the Angel Moroni).
A vision can be political, religious, environmental, social, or technological in nature. By extension, a visionary can also be a person with a clear, distinctive and specific (in some details) vision of the future, usually connected with advances in technology or social/political arrangements. For example, Ted Nelson is referred to as a visionary in connection with the Internet.[See more about Visionary at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Visionary'
'Visionary' in famous quotation sentence
* The leader has to be practical and a realist, yet must talk the language of the visionary and the idealist. - Eric Hoffer
Click here for more related quotations on 'Visionary'
Visionary Sample Sentences in News
- T Magazine: Fashion’s Purest Visionary
Rei Kawakubo, the singular designer behind Comme des Garçons, is about to transform the sleepy Manhattan neighborhood of Kips Bay into the city’s shopping epicenter with the opening of Dover Street Market New York. Read more on this news related to 'Visionary'
- TheWIFTS Foundation International Visionary Awards 2013
LOS ANGELES – (December 2, 2013) – The Women’s International Film Television Showcase (TheWIFTS), and TheWIFTS Foundation International Visionary Awards is pleased to announce the Honorees of its Sixth Annual 2013 event celebrating the work of women from the global community in the fields of Film and Television, Business, The Arts and Humanities. Read more on this news related to 'Visionary'
- Nelson Mandela: A visionary in life and through sports
Nelson Mandela's achievements left an indellible mark on human existence. Even sports played a role in his efforts to unite his people. We remember him with a look back at his endeavors with the games we love. Read more on this news related to 'Visionary'