Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Visionary'
adj : not practical or realizable; speculative; "airy theories
about socioeconomic improvement"; "visionary schemes
for getting rich" [syn: airy, impractical, Laputan]
- a person given to fanciful speculations and enthusiasms with little regard for what is actually possible
- a person with unusual powers of foresight [syn: illusionist, seer]
- Visionary \Vi"sion*a*ry\, a. [Cf. F. visionnaire.]
- Of or pertaining to a visions or visions; characterized by, appropriate to, or favorable for, visions.
- Visionary \Vi"sion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Visionaries.
- One whose imagination is disturbed; one who sees visions or phantoms.
- One whose imagination overpowers his reason and controls his judgment; an unpractical schemer; one who builds castles in the air; a daydreamer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Visionary'
Defined broadly, a visionary, is one who can envision the future. For some groups this can involve the supernatural or drugs.
The visionary state is achieved via meditation, drugs, lucid dreams, daydreams, or art. One example is Hildegard of Bingen, a 12th century artist/visionary and Catholic saint. Other visionaries in religion are Mohammed (who had a vision of and communed with the Angel Gabriel), St. Bernadette (who had a vision of and communed with the Blessed Virgin), and Joseph Smith (who had a vision of and communed with the Angel Moroni).
A vision can be political, religious, environmental, social, or technological in nature. By extension, a visionary can also be a person with a clear, distinctive and specific (in some details) vision of the future, usually connected with advances in technology or social/political arrangements. For example, Ted Nelson is referred to as a visionary in connection with the Internet.[See more about Visionary at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Visionary'
'Visionary' in famous quotation sentence
* The leader has to be practical and a realist, yet must talk the language of the visionary and the idealist. - Eric Hoffer
Click here for more related quotations on 'Visionary'
Visionary Sample Sentences in News
- Digital Marketing Visionary Named Chief Strategy Officer at iProspect
NEW YORK, Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, iProspect, a leading, global digital marketing agency, announced the promotion of Sam Huston to Chief Strategy Officer. Huston has an unmatched ability to invigorate ideas and innovations while remaining true to core business objectives, ensuring iProspect client solutions are right on target. Over the last 14 years Read more on this news related to 'Visionary'
- Spring Hill ISD board looks for ‘visionary’ leader
Betsy Young, left, speaks with Marian Strauss of the Texas Association of School Boards about her thoughts on the search for a new Spring Hill ISD superintendent during a community input session on Tuesday in Spring Hill's L.L. Williamson Auditorium. Read more on this news related to 'Visionary'
- Cardinal of Truth
Is President Mahama a Visionary leader? Read more on this news related to 'Visionary'