Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Visceral'
- relating to or affecting the viscera; "visceral bleeding"; "a splanchnic nerve" [syn: splanchnic]
- obtained through intuition rather than from reasoning or observation [syn: intuitive, nonrational]
- Visceral \Vis"cer*al\, a. [Cf. F. visc['e]ral, LL. visceralis.]
- (Anat.) Of or pertaining to the viscera; splanchnic.
- Fig.: Having deep sensibility. [R.] --Bp. Reynolds. Visceral arches (Anat.), the bars or ridges between the visceral clefts. Visceral cavity or tube (Anat.), the ventral cavity of a vertebrate, which contains the alimentary canal, as distinguished from the dorsal, or cerebro-spinal, canal. Visceral clefts (Anat.), transverse clefts on the sides just back of the mouth in the vertebrate embryo, which open into the pharyngeal portion of the alimentary canal, and correspond to the branchial clefts in adult fishes.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Visceral'
In anatomy, a viscus (pronounced /ˈvɪskəs/) is an internal organ, and viscera is the plural form. The viscera, when removed from a butchered animal, are known collectively as offal. Internal organs are also known as "innards", or less formally, "guts" (which may also refer to the gastrointestinal tract).
The adjective visceral, also splanchnic, is used for anything pertaining to the internal organs. Historically, viscera of animals were examined by Roman pagan priests like the haruspices or the augurs in order to define the future by their shape, dimensions or other factors. This practice remains an important ritual in some remote, tribal societies.
The viscera are mainly innervated parasympathetically by the vagus nerve and sympathetically by the splanchnic nerves. The sensory part of the latter reaches the spinal column at certain spinal segments. Pain in any viscera is perceived as referred pain, more specifically pain from the dermatome corresponding to the spinal segment.[See more about Visceral at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Visceral'
Visceral Sample Sentences in News
- Battlefield: Hardline Gamescom Preview - Visceral Makes its Mark on DICE Franchise
With Mirror's Edge and Star Wars: Battlefront on their plate even a studio as big as DICE would have struggled to put out another Battlefield title in time for those demanding so-and-sos at EA. Enter Dead Space developers Visceral Games, who for their take on the franchise have elected to make a game about law enforcement and law breaking rather than large-s Read more on this news related to 'Visceral'
- Visceral Talks Battlefield Hardline Single-Player Campaign Inspiration
Visceral aiming for character-driven story and television influences. Read more on this news related to 'Visceral'
- Battlefield: Hardline campaign footage unveiled at Gamescom 2014
Visceral Games general manager Steve Papoutsis offers Gamescom 2014 attendees a first look at Battlefield: Hardline, which is due to arrive in 2015. The post Battlefield: Hardline campaign footage unveiled at Gamescom 2014 appeared first on Digital Trends . Read more on this news related to 'Visceral'