Village Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a community of people smaller than a town
- a settlement smaller than a town
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village'' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a community of people smaller than a town ,
- a settlement smaller than a town ,
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Village'?
Village Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A village is a place where people live, normally in the countryside. It is usually larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town or city. In some places, it may be a kind of local government.
In the past, villages were where most people lived. After the Industrial Revolution, when people started making a lot of things in factories, people lived more in towns. Moving to towns is called urbanization.
Words and phrases related to 'Village'
'Village' example sentence in quotations
* If you would be known, and not know, vegetate in a village If you would know, and not be known, live in a city. - Charles Caleb Colton
* The shades of night were falling fast,As though an Alpine village passedA youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,A banner with the strange device,ExcelsiorHis brow was sad his eye beneath,Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,And like a silver clarion rungThe accents of that unknown tongue,Excelsior - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Village'
Village Sample Sentences in News
- Forte Village Sardinia Resort Announces Generous Discounts for the Holiday Season
The Luxurious Resort is Offering No Cost Child Places and a Discount on Adult Places on Selected Dates West Sussex, UK / ACCESSWIRE / December 20, 2014 / Forte Village Sardinia Resort, a beautiful and ... Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- The Three Wise Men Arrive Early in Little Village
The Little Village Chamber of Commerce, Remy Cointreau & Supermercado La Chiquita distributed Christmas trees and $100.00 Gift certificates to twelve families this Christmas season. Antonio Portillo, Remy...... Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Shame in China as village votes to expel HIV-positive boy
The plight of an eight-year-old Chinese boy with HIV, reportedly ordered to leave his village by 200 petitioners, sparked intense online soul-searching Thursday in a country where discrimination against sufferers remains rife. The case has highlighted the stigma attached to the disease in China, where many sufferers face widespread discrimination. Read more on this news related to 'Village'