Village Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a community of people smaller than a town
- a settlement smaller than a town
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village'' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a community of people smaller than a town ,
- a settlement smaller than a town ,
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Village'?
Village Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A village is a place where people live, normally in the countryside. It is usually larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town or city. In some places, it may be a kind of local government.
In the past, villages were where most people lived. After the Industrial Revolution, when people started making a lot of things in factories, people lived more in towns. Moving to towns is called urbanization.
Words and phrases related to 'Village'
'Village' example sentence in quotations
* If you would be known, and not know, vegetate in a village If you would know, and not be known, live in a city. - Charles Caleb Colton
* The shades of night were falling fast,As though an Alpine village passedA youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,A banner with the strange device,ExcelsiorHis brow was sad his eye beneath,Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,And like a silver clarion rungThe accents of that unknown tongue,Excelsior - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Village'
Village Sample Sentences in News
- Curtis Park Village to Hold Grand Opening on January 31
Presidio Residential Capital and BlackPine Communities will hold a grand opening celebration for Curtis Park Village, a 71-acre mixed-use urban infill community on a former Union Pacific railroad yard ... Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Is Hezbollah tunneling into Israel? Army looks into village's old complaint.
For months, residents of this northern border village complained that they were hearing drilling noises underground, but that seemed to elicit little response from the Israeli army. Since the 2006 war, Lebanon’s southern border region has ostensibly been controlled by the United Nations authority, UNIFIL, whose white patrols could be seen rumbling along the ridg Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Delhi village without hospital, school to boycott polls
New Delhi, Jan 30 (IANS) A village with a population of over 10,000 has decided to boycott the Feb 7 assembly election in Delhi. They only give fake promises," said Panja Singh, 62, a resident of Jhangola village that falls under Narela assembly constituency in northwest Delhi. Bharatiya Janata Party's Neeldaman Khatri won the 2013 assembly polls from the Read more on this news related to 'Village'