Village Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a community of people smaller than a town
- a settlement smaller than a town
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village'' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a community of people smaller than a town ,
- a settlement smaller than a town ,
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Village'?
Village Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A village is a place where people live, normally in the countryside. It is usually larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town or city. In some places, it may be a kind of local government.
In the past, villages were where most people lived. After the Industrial Revolution, when people started making a lot of things in factories, people lived more in towns. Moving to towns is called urbanization.
Words and phrases related to 'Village'
'Village' example sentence in quotations
* If you would be known, and not know, vegetate in a village If you would know, and not be known, live in a city. - Charles Caleb Colton
* The shades of night were falling fast,As though an Alpine village passedA youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,A banner with the strange device,ExcelsiorHis brow was sad his eye beneath,Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,And like a silver clarion rungThe accents of that unknown tongue,Excelsior - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Village'
Village Sample Sentences in News
- Village responds to District's letter
Glen Carbon officials are looking to clarify some statements made last week in a letter to parents from Edwardsville District 7 regarding the possibility of a medical marijuana facility locating in th Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Village at centre of stink charges
A Christchurch retirement village has racked up 176 smell complaints in just over two years despite attempts to nullify the offending odour. Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Village Board approves replacement of water lines
Some people can’t seem to catch a break. That's not the case in Glen Carbon. Read more on this news related to 'Village'