Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Village'
- a community of people smaller than a town [syn: small town, settlement]
- a settlement smaller than a town [syn: hamlet]
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century [syn: Greenwich Village]
- Village \Vil"lage\ (?; 48), n. [F., fr. L. villaticus belonging
to a country house or villa. See Villa, and cf.
A small assemblage of houses in the country, less than a town
Village cart, a kind of two-wheeled pleasure carriage
without a top.
Syn: Village, Hamlet, Town, City.
Usage: In England, a hamlet denotes a collection of houses,
too small to have a parish church. A village has a
church, but no market. A town has both a market and a
church or churches. A city is, in the legal sense, an
incorporated borough town, which is, or has been, the
place of a bishop's see. In the United States these
distinctions do not hold.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Village'
A village is a clustered human settlement or community, larger than a hamlet with the population ranging from a few hundred to a few thousands (sometimes tens of thousands), Though often located in rural areas, the term urban village is also applied to certain urban neighbourhoods, such as the West Village in Manhattan, New York City and the Saifi Village in Beirut, Lebanon, as well as Hampstead Village in the London conurbation. Villages are normally permanent, with fixed dwellings; however, transient villages can occur. Further, the dwellings of a village are fairly close to one another, not scattered broadly over the landscape, as a dispersed settlement.
Historically, villages were the usual form of community for societies that practise subsistence agriculture, and also for some non-agricultural societies. In Great Britain, a hamlet earned the right to be called a village when it built a church. In many cultures, towns and cities were few, with only a small proportion of the population living in them. The Industrial Revolution attracted people in larger numbers to work in mills and factories; the concentration of people caused many villages to grow into towns and cities. This also enabled specialization of labor and crafts, and development of many trades. The trend of urbanisation continues, though not always in connection with industrialisation. Villages have been eclipsed in importance as units of human society and settlement.[See more about Village at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Village'
'Village' in famous quotation sentence
* If you would be known, and not know, vegetate in a village If you would know, and not be known, live in a city. - Charles Caleb Colton
* The shades of night were falling fast,As though an Alpine village passedA youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,A banner with the strange device,ExcelsiorHis brow was sad his eye beneath,Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,And like a silver clarion rungThe accents of that unknown tongue,Excelsior - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Village'
Village Sample Sentences in News
- Elk Grove Village board to vote on massive TIF district Tuesday
Elk Grove Village trustees will vote Tuesday on creation of a special taxing district that could generate nearly $900 million to help pay for redevelopment projects in a large portion of the village’s sprawling business park. The proposed Tax Increment Financing district is needed, village officials say, to revitalize an aging industrial park where property valu Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Village Talks Tax Cap Override
In preparation for budget season, the Village of Farmingdale Board of Trustees recently adopted legislation that will allow the village to enact an override of the state’s 2 percent tax levy cap. A procedural requirement, the local law enables the village to decide—by a two-third board majority vote—whether it will exceed the cap, without the threat of a pen Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Village Luxury Cars of Toronto Launches Financing Application Platform
Village Luxury Cars, a leading pre-owned car dealership in the Toronto area, has recently launched a new online credit application platform for consumers. The online credit application process for used ... Read more on this news related to 'Village'