Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Vie'
v : compete for something; engage in a contest; measure oneself
against others [syn: compete, contend]
- Vie \Vie\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Vied; p. pr. & vb. n. Vying.]
[OE. vien, shortened fr. envien, OF. envier to invite, to
challenge, a word used in gambling, L. invitare to invite; of
uncertain origin. Cf. Invite, Envie.]
- To stake a sum upon a hand of cards, as in the old game of gleek. See Revie. [Obs.]
- To strive for superiority; to contend; to use emulous effort, as in a race, contest, or competition. In a trading nation, the younger sons may be placed in such a way of life as . . . to vie with the best of their family. --Addison. While Waterloo with Cann[ae]'s carnage vies. --Byron.
- Vie \Vie\, v. t.
- To stake; to wager. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
- To do or produce in emulation, competition, or rivalry; to put in competition; to bandy. [Obs.] She hung about my neck; and kiss on kiss She vied so fast. --Shak. Nor was he set over us to vie wisdom with his Parliament, but to be guided by them. --Milton. And vying malice with my gentleness, Pick quarrels with their only happiness. --Herbert.
- Vie \Vie\, n.
A contest for superiority; competition; rivalry; strife;
also, a challenge; a wager. [Obs.]
We 'll all to church together instantly, And then a vie
for boys. --J. Fletcher.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Vie'
Vie (IPA: /'vi.e/), is a district (or quarter), of Oradea, a city in Bihor, Romania. The name means vine in Romanian.
Vie is situated in the hills overlooking Oradea, in the northern part of the town. It spans quite a large area, from a part just north of the hillow but the centre extending quite far into the Oradea hills. Vie is bounded in the south by Republicii Street (Strada Republicii), the mainline railway tracks crossing Oradea and the Oradea central railway station (everything south of the railway station is considered part of the city centre, or Centru, everything north is considered part of Vie.
The range of infrastructure in Vie is quite broad - the southern part of the quarter, which is in proximity to the city centre, can be described as suburban, containing either low-rise houses or apartment blocks with up to five storeys. However, as one proceeds north, away from the Oradea city centre, the quarter becomes increasingly rural, with larger houses and larger gardens. Many of the roads in the northern part of Vie are unpaved. The northern part of the quarter contains several vineyards and wine-growing estates.[See more about Vie at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Vie'
Vie Sample Sentences in News
- Cirque La Vie comes to Nature Fest
What began as a photography project on social media sites has spawned one of Houston’s freshest circus acts. Read more on this news related to 'Vie'
- Four vie for manager of year award
Neil Lennon, Stuart McCall, Derek McInnes and Tommy Wright are shortlisted for PFA Scotland Manager of the Year. Read more on this news related to 'Vie'
- 338 candidates to vie for Maharashtra's 19 Lok Sabha seats
A total of 338 candidates, including 24 women, will contest the third and final phase of polls in 19 Lok Sabha constituencies of Maharashtra Thursday, officials said Wednesday. Read more on this news related to 'Vie'