Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Vie'
v : compete for something; engage in a contest; measure oneself
against others [syn: compete, contend]
- Vie \Vie\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Vied; p. pr. & vb. n. Vying.]
[OE. vien, shortened fr. envien, OF. envier to invite, to
challenge, a word used in gambling, L. invitare to invite; of
uncertain origin. Cf. Invite, Envie.]
- To stake a sum upon a hand of cards, as in the old game of gleek. See Revie. [Obs.]
- To strive for superiority; to contend; to use emulous effort, as in a race, contest, or competition. In a trading nation, the younger sons may be placed in such a way of life as . . . to vie with the best of their family. --Addison. While Waterloo with Cann[ae]'s carnage vies. --Byron.
- Vie \Vie\, v. t.
- To stake; to wager. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
- To do or produce in emulation, competition, or rivalry; to put in competition; to bandy. [Obs.] She hung about my neck; and kiss on kiss She vied so fast. --Shak. Nor was he set over us to vie wisdom with his Parliament, but to be guided by them. --Milton. And vying malice with my gentleness, Pick quarrels with their only happiness. --Herbert.
- Vie \Vie\, n.
A contest for superiority; competition; rivalry; strife;
also, a challenge; a wager. [Obs.]
We 'll all to church together instantly, And then a vie
for boys. --J. Fletcher.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Vie'
Vie (IPA: /'vi.e/), is a district (or quarter), of Oradea, a city in Bihor, Romania. The name means vine in Romanian.
Vie is situated in the hills overlooking Oradea, in the northern part of the town. It spans quite a large area, from a part just north of the hillow but the centre extending quite far into the Oradea hills. Vie is bounded in the south by Republicii Street (Strada Republicii), the mainline railway tracks crossing Oradea and the Oradea central railway station (everything south of the railway station is considered part of the city centre, or Centru, everything north is considered part of Vie.
The range of infrastructure in Vie is quite broad - the southern part of the quarter, which is in proximity to the city centre, can be described as suburban, containing either low-rise houses or apartment blocks with up to five storeys. However, as one proceeds north, away from the Oradea city centre, the quarter becomes increasingly rural, with larger houses and larger gardens. Many of the roads in the northern part of Vie are unpaved. The northern part of the quarter contains several vineyards and wine-growing estates.[See more about Vie at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Vie'
Vie Sample Sentences in News
- VIE Healthcare Makes Their Debut at Healthcare Trade Shows with GLMDisplays
VIE Healthcare, an expert healthcare consulting firm, partnered with leading trade showdisplay provider GLM Displays to make their debut at two healthcare conferences this summer. (PRWeb July 16, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/Vie_Healthcare/GLM_Displays/prweb12019387.htm Read more on this news related to 'Vie'
- 6 candidates vie for Senate seat in southeast Seattle, Renton
In the race to succeed state Sen. Adam Kline, five Democrats and one Republican are on the primary ballot. The top two in the Aug. 5 primary move on to the November election for the 37th District state Senate seat. Read more on this news related to 'Vie'
- 3 vie for 56th District seat in Mich.
The Aug. 5 primary ballot for state representative in Michigan’s District 56 features three candidates — two Republicans and a Democrat — for the seat held by state Rep. Dale Zorn (R., Ida), who is running for the state Senate. Read more on this news related to 'Vie'