Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Vanished'
adj : having passed out of existence; "vanished civilizations"
- Vanish \Van"ish\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Vanished; p. pr. & vb.
n. Vanishing.] [OE. vanissen, OF. vanir (in comp.): cf. OF.
envanir, esvanir, esvanu["i]r, F. s'['e]vanouir; fr. L. vanus
empty, vain; cf. L. vanescere, evanescere, to vanish. See
Vain, and cf. Evanescent,-ish.]
- To pass from a visible to an invisible state; to go out of sight; to disappear; to fade; as, vapor vanishes from the sight by being dissipated; a ship vanishes from the sight of spectators on land. The horse vanished . . . out of sight. --Chaucer. Go; vanish into air; away! --Shak. The champions vanished from their posts with the speed of lightning. --Sir W. Scott. Gliding from the twilight past to vanish among realities. --Hawthorne.
- To be annihilated or lost; to pass away. ``All these delights will vanish.'' --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Vanished'
Vanished is an American serial drama television series produced by 20th Century Fox. The series premiered on August 21, 2006 on Fox and its last episode aired on November 10, 2006. Based in Atlanta, Georgia, the series begins with the sudden disappearance of the wife of a Georgia senator, which is quickly revealed to be part of a wider conspiracy. The family of the missing woman, a pair of FBI agents, a journalist and her lover/cameraman, are all drawn into an evolving mystery with political and religious undertones. The show was created by CSI writer Josh Berman, and executive produced by Mimi Leder, who is also directed the show, and Paul Redford.
On October 26, 2006, USA Today reported that the planned 22-episode series was ordered to be wrapped up after the 13th episode.
On December 8, 2006, the final episode of Vanished appeared online. The production team was told a few months before the show was taken off the air to at least reveal Sara's fate by the 13th episode, but none of the other plotlines were resolved.[See more about Vanished at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Vanished'
'Vanished' in famous quotation sentence
* Where today are the Pequot Where are the Narragansett, the Mohican, the Pokanoket, and many other once powerful tribes of our people They have vanished before the avarice and the oppression of the White Man, as snow before a summer sun. Will we let ourselves be destroyed in our turn without a struggle, give up our homes, our country bequeathed to us by the Great Spirit, the graves of our dead and everything that is dear to us I know you will cry with me, NEVER NEVER. - Tecumseh
Click here for more related quotations on 'Vanished'
Vanished Sample Sentences in News
- Chicago police say they have solved the killing of a man who vanished in 1978
Frances Burns CHICAGO, April 23 (UPI) -- Chicago investigators say they have solved the killing of Edward Beaudion, an aspiring teacher who vanished in 1978 after leaving a wedding. Read more on this news related to 'Vanished'
- Madeleine McCann Probers Focus on Child Sex Attacker
LONDON – Detectives are investigating whether Madeleine McCann, the toddler who vanished in Portugal seven years ago, may have been abducted by a serial sex attacker. One of those possible victims was a 10-year-old girl who was assaulted in 2005 in the same resort where... Read more on this news related to 'Vanished'
- Yemeni street artist uses Sana'a walls to remember the disappeared
Murad Sobay, who downplays comparisons with Banksy, stencils faces of vanished political prisoners to keep their memory alive Peering out from one of the perimeter walls of Sana'a University is a young man's face, stencilled in black and white paint. Daubed next to him is his name and the year he disappeared. A metre on is another face, and then another, a Read more on this news related to 'Vanished'