Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Vacillate'
Vacillate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- be undecided about something; waver between conflicting positions or courses of action; "He oscillates between accepting the new position and retirement" [syn: hover, vibrate, oscillate]
- move or sway in a rising and falling or wavelike pattern; "the line on the monitor vacillated" [syn: fluctuate, waver]
- Vacillate \Vac"il*late\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Vacillated; p.
pr. & vb. n. Vacillating.] [L. vacillare, vacillatum; cf.
- To move one way and the other; to reel or stagger; to waver. [A spheroid] is always liable to shift and vacillatefrom one axis to another. --Paley.
- To fluctuate in mind or opinion; to be unsteady or inconstant; to waver. Syn: See Fluctuate.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Vacillate'
Words and phrases related to 'Vacillate'
Vacillate Sample Sentences in News
- It’s Vince Gray’s Party and He’ll Vacillate If He Wants To
When Vince Gray celebrated his 70th birthday last year at Nationals Park, the team gave him a baseball bat. This year, the mayor got something much more useful: a few more days to keep the city wondering about whether he's running for re-election. Read more on this news related to 'Vacillate'
- Substantive Service: Making a Difference
When it comes to the ability of the individual to make a difference in the world, most of us vacillate between disillusionment and idealism. There are moments when anything seems possible, but sometimes the world overwhelms us with its enormity … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Vacillate'