Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Unique'
- radically distinctive and without equal; "he is alone in the field of microbiology"; "this theory is altogether alone in its penetration of the problem"; "Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint"; "craftsmen whose skill is unequaled"; "unparalleled athletic ability"; "a breakdown of law unparalleled in our history" [syn: alone(p), unequaled, unequalled, unparalleled]
- (followed by `to') applying exclusively to a given category or condition or locality; "a species unique to Australia" [syn: unique(p)]
- the single one of its kind; "a singular example"; "the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting"; "a unique copy of an ancient manuscript"; "certain types of problems have unique solutions" [syn: singular]
- highly unusual or rare but not the single instance; "spoke with a unique accent"; "had unique ability in raising funds"; "a frankness unique in literature"; "a unique dining experience"
- Unique \U*nique"\, a. [F. unique; cf. It. unico; from L. unicus,
from unus one. See One.]
Being without a like or equal; unmatched; unequaled;
unparalleled; single in kind or excellence; sole. --
U*nique"ly, adv. -- U*nique"ness, n.
- Unique \U*nique"\, n.
A thing without a like; something unequaled or unparalleled.
The phenix, the unique pf birds. --De Quincey.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Unique'
In mathematics and logic, the phrase "there is one and only one" is used to indicate that exactly one object with a certain property exists. In mathematical logic, this sort of quantification is known as uniqueness quantification or unique existential quantification.
Uniqueness quantification is often denoted with the symbols "∃!" or ∃=1". For example, the formal statement
may be read aloud as "there is exactly one natural number n such that n - 2 = 4".
Proving uniqueness turns out to be mostly easier than that of existence or expressibility. The most common technique to proving uniqueness is to assume there exists two quantities (say, a and b) that satisfies the condition given, and then logically deducing their equality, i.e. a = b.[See more about Unique at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Unique'
'Unique' in famous quotation sentence
* Most do not fully see this truth that life is difficult. Instead they moan more or less incessantly, noisily or subtly, about the enormity of their problems, their burdens, and their difficulties as if life were generally easy, as if life should be easy. They voice their belief, noisily or subtly, that their difficulties represent a unique kind of affliction that should not be and that has somehow been especially visited upon them, or else upon their families, their tribe, their class, their nation, their race or even their species, and not upon others. - M Scott Peck
* Murder is unique in that it abolishes the party it injures, so that society has to take the place of the victim and on his behalf demand atonement or grant forgiveness it is the one crime in which society has a direct interest. - W. H. Auden
Click here for more related quotations on 'Unique'
Unique Sample Sentences in News
- Unique Broadband Systems, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2014 Results
Unique Broadband Systems, Inc. today reported its operating and financial results for the second quarter of fiscal 2014, ended February 28, 2014. Read more on this news related to 'Unique'
- Starbucks Revives The Unique Selling Proposition
VideoThe Unique Selling Proposition, or “USP,” is a marketing proposition that originated in the early 1940’s at the Ted Bates advertising agency, some 20 years before what’s depicted on Mad Men. The USP originator was advertising pioneer, author, and agency VP, Rosser Reeves. USP got picked up by agencies all [...] Read more on this news related to 'Unique'
- Unique Brew collaborates with Franchise India Brands for expansion
Unique Brew Café is looking forward to expand within the country through their franchises in the coming times. Read more on this news related to 'Unique'