Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Underpinning'
- support from beneath
- support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm; "The stories and claims were born out by the evidence" [syn: corroborate, bear out, support] [also: underpinning, underpinned]
- Underpinning \Un"der*pin`ning\, n.
- The act of one who underpins; the act of supporting by stones, masonry, or the like.
- (Arch.) (a) That by which a building is underpinned; the material and construction used for support, introduced beneath a wall already constructed. (b) The foundation, esp. of a frame house. [Local, U. S.]
- Underpin \Un`der*pin"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Underpinned; p.
pr. & vb. n. Underpinning.]
- To lay stones, masonry, etc., under, as the sills of a building, on which it is to rest.
- To support by some solid foundation; to place something underneath for support.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Underpinning'
In construction, underpinning is the process of strengthening and stabilizing the foundation of an existing building or other structure. Underpinning may be necessary for a variety of reasons:
Underpinning is accomplished by extending the foundation in depth or in breadth so it either rests on a more supportive soil stratum or distributes its load across a greater area. Use of micropiles and jet grouting are common methods in underpinning. An alternative to underpinning is the strengthening of the soil by the introduction of a grout. All of these processes are generally expensive and elaborate.
Underpinning may be necessary where P class (problem) soils in certain areas of the site are encountered.
Through semantic change the word underpinning has become to encompass all abstract concepts that serve as a foundation.[See more about Underpinning at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Underpinning'
Underpinning Sample Sentences in News
- Irish Economy Grows Annual 7.7%, Fastest Pace Since 2007
Ireland’s economy grew the most in seven years in the second quarter, underpinning the government’s plan to scale back austerity after years of spending cuts and tax increases. Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'
- Yen Weakens to Six-Year Low Against Dollar as Policies Diverge
The yen fell to a six-year low against the dollar as the Federal Reserve yesterday raised its target-rate forecast, underpinning the divergence in monetary policy between the two nations. Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'
- House collapse that killed 19-year-old worker involved underpinning
Little is known about a young construction worker who died Tuesday after a north Toronto home undergoing renovations collapsed, killing the teenaged man and injuring two others . The 19-year-old, who has yet to be identified, worked for Euro Group Limited, a general contracting and construction management company, an employee confirmed Wednesday. The Ministry of L Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'