Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Underpinning'
- support from beneath
- support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm; "The stories and claims were born out by the evidence" [syn: corroborate, bear out, support] [also: underpinning, underpinned]
- Underpinning \Un"der*pin`ning\, n.
- The act of one who underpins; the act of supporting by stones, masonry, or the like.
- (Arch.) (a) That by which a building is underpinned; the material and construction used for support, introduced beneath a wall already constructed. (b) The foundation, esp. of a frame house. [Local, U. S.]
- Underpin \Un`der*pin"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Underpinned; p.
pr. & vb. n. Underpinning.]
- To lay stones, masonry, etc., under, as the sills of a building, on which it is to rest.
- To support by some solid foundation; to place something underneath for support.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Underpinning'
In construction, underpinning is the process of strengthening and stabilizing the foundation of an existing building or other structure. Underpinning may be necessary for a variety of reasons:
Underpinning is accomplished by extending the foundation in depth or in breadth so it either rests on a more supportive soil stratum or distributes its load across a greater area. Use of micropiles and jet grouting are common methods in underpinning. An alternative to underpinning is the strengthening of the soil by the introduction of a grout. All of these processes are generally expensive and elaborate.
Underpinning may be necessary where P class (problem) soils in certain areas of the site are encountered.
Through semantic change the word underpinning has become to encompass all abstract concepts that serve as a foundation.[See more about Underpinning at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Underpinning'
Underpinning Sample Sentences in News
- Easyjet signs seven-year deal with London's Gatwick Airport
LONDON (Reuters) - Budget airline easyJet (LSE:EZJ) has signed a new deal with London's Gatwick Airport, underpinning its intention to grow at Britain's second busiest airport. The company said on Thursday ... Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'
- Rugby: Belief in game plan finally clicks for Crusaders
Something has clicked for the Crusaders, coach Todd Blackadder reckons.There is belief - you can't win at Waikato Stadium without it - but there is also enthusiasm and energy and underpinning it all a game plan which is becoming... Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'
- The data on public services needs to be handled with care
The looming election has brought on the numbers game – but can we trust the figures underpinning public services? As the general election looms, the numbers game starts. Improvement? Deterioration? Call the ref? But what if the ref can't decide because the data is duff? The National Audit Office (NAO) has just reported on waiting times for appointments for p Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'