Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Underpinning'
- support from beneath
- support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm; "The stories and claims were born out by the evidence" [syn: corroborate, bear out, support] [also: underpinning, underpinned]
- Underpinning \Un"der*pin`ning\, n.
- The act of one who underpins; the act of supporting by stones, masonry, or the like.
- (Arch.) (a) That by which a building is underpinned; the material and construction used for support, introduced beneath a wall already constructed. (b) The foundation, esp. of a frame house. [Local, U. S.]
- Underpin \Un`der*pin"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Underpinned; p.
pr. & vb. n. Underpinning.]
- To lay stones, masonry, etc., under, as the sills of a building, on which it is to rest.
- To support by some solid foundation; to place something underneath for support.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Underpinning'
In construction, underpinning is the process of strengthening and stabilizing the foundation of an existing building or other structure. Underpinning may be necessary for a variety of reasons:
Underpinning is accomplished by extending the foundation in depth or in breadth so it either rests on a more supportive soil stratum or distributes its load across a greater area. Use of micropiles and jet grouting are common methods in underpinning. An alternative to underpinning is the strengthening of the soil by the introduction of a grout. All of these processes are generally expensive and elaborate.
Underpinning may be necessary where P class (problem) soils in certain areas of the site are encountered.
Through semantic change the word underpinning has become to encompass all abstract concepts that serve as a foundation.[See more about Underpinning at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Underpinning'
Underpinning Sample Sentences in News
- Centrelink's computers 'need overhaul'
The computer mainframe underpinning Centrelink 'needs a substantial overhaul.' Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'
- China Minister Says Electric Vehicles Remain Strategic
China will stick to promoting electric vehicles as the strategic underpinning of policy to upgrade the nation’s auto industry, according to the industry minister. Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'
- Spain Auctions Debt at Record Lows as Growth Accelerates
Spain’s Treasury sold three-year to 10-year debt at record low yields after the Bank of Spain said growth sped up in the first quarter, underpinning a recovery in the euro region’s fourth-largest economy. Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'