Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Underpinning'
- support from beneath
- support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm; "The stories and claims were born out by the evidence" [syn: corroborate, bear out, support] [also: underpinning, underpinned]
- Underpinning \Un"der*pin`ning\, n.
- The act of one who underpins; the act of supporting by stones, masonry, or the like.
- (Arch.) (a) That by which a building is underpinned; the material and construction used for support, introduced beneath a wall already constructed. (b) The foundation, esp. of a frame house. [Local, U. S.]
- Underpin \Un`der*pin"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Underpinned; p.
pr. & vb. n. Underpinning.]
- To lay stones, masonry, etc., under, as the sills of a building, on which it is to rest.
- To support by some solid foundation; to place something underneath for support.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Underpinning'
In construction, underpinning is the process of strengthening and stabilizing the foundation of an existing building or other structure. Underpinning may be necessary for a variety of reasons:
Underpinning is accomplished by extending the foundation in depth or in breadth so it either rests on a more supportive soil stratum or distributes its load across a greater area. Use of micropiles and jet grouting are common methods in underpinning. An alternative to underpinning is the strengthening of the soil by the introduction of a grout. All of these processes are generally expensive and elaborate.
Underpinning may be necessary where P class (problem) soils in certain areas of the site are encountered.
Through semantic change the word underpinning has become to encompass all abstract concepts that serve as a foundation.[See more about Underpinning at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Underpinning'
Underpinning Sample Sentences in News
- Legal disputes over debt plan aired in Detroit bankruptcy case
Detroit's historic bankruptcy case on Wednesday moved on to legal issues underpinning the city's debt adjustment plan, including locking in pension changes for 10 years. The two days of arguments on legal disputes before U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes are a prelude to a key hearing starting on Aug. 14 on whether the city's plan to deal with $18 bi Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'
- World Cup: Germany rides team approach into championship
For Germany, an underpinning to its rollicking World Cup has been strategy, and not just of the Xs and O's variety. Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'
- Government response to Freedom & Choice paves the way for innovation – but there are key issues for providers ...
The pensions 'guidance guarantee', underpinning reforms to UK pensions which will give savers more freedom and choice about how they access their pensions, will be delivered by independent advisory bodies rather than product providers, the UK government has confirmed. Read more on this news related to 'Underpinning'