Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Umbrella'
adj : covering or applying simultaneously to a number of similar
items or elements or groups; "an umbrella
organization"; "umbrella insurance coverage"
- a lightweight handheld collapsible canopy
- a formation of military planes maintained over ground operations or targets; "an air umbrella over England"
- having the function of uniting a group of similar things; "the Democratic Party is an umbrella for many liberal groups"; "under the umbrella of capitalism"
- Umbrella \Um*brel"la\, n. [It. umbrella, fr. ombra a shade, L.
umbra; cf. L. umbella a sunshade, a parasol. Cf. Umbel,
- A shade, screen, or guard, carried in the hand for sheltering the person from the rays of the sun, or from rain or snow. It is formed of silk, cotton, or other fabric, extended on strips of whalebone, steel, or other elastic material, inserted, or fastened to, a rod or stick by means of pivots or hinges, in such a way as to allow of being opened and closed with ease. See Parasol. Underneath the umbrella's oily shed. --Gay.
- (Zo["o]l.) The umbrellalike disk, or swimming bell, of a jellyfish.
- (Zo["o]l.) Any marine tectibranchiate gastropod of the genus Umbrella, having an umbrella-shaped shell; -- called also umbrella shell. Umbrella ant (Zo["o]l.), the sauba ant; -- so called because it carries bits of leaves over its back when foraging. Called also parasol ant. Umbrella bird (Zo["o]l.), a South American bird (Cephalopterus ornatus) of the family Cotingid[ae]. It is black, with a large handsome crest consisting of a mass of soft, glossy blue feathers curved outward at the tips. It also has a cervical plume consisting of a long, cylindrical dermal process covered with soft hairy feathers. Called also dragoon bird. Umbrella leaf (Bot.), an American perennial herb (Dyphylleia cymosa), having very large peltate and lobed radical leaves. Umbrella shell. (Zo["o]l.) See Umbrella, 3. Umbrella tree (Bot.), a kind of magnolia (M. Umbrella) with the large leaves arranged in umbrellalike clusters at the ends of the branches. It is a native of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Kentucky. Other plants in various countries are called by this name, especially a kind of screw pine (Pandanus odoratissimus).
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Umbrella'
An umbrella or parasol (also called a brolly, rainshade, sunshade, gamp or bumbershoot) is a canopy designed to protect against rain or sunlight. The term parasol usually refers to an item designed to protect from the sun; umbrella refers to a device more suited to protect from rain. Often the difference is the material; some parasols are not waterproof. Parasols are often meant to be fixed to one point and often used with patio tables or other outdoor furniture. Umbrellas are almost exclusively hand-held portable devices; however, parasols can also be hand-held. Umbrellas can be held as fashion accessories.
The word umbrella comes from the Latin word umbra, meaning shade or shadow (the Latin word, in turn, derives from the Ancient Greek ómbros
Umbrella is another synonym for the term parasol, which was first used as a protection against the scorching heat of the sun, "para" meaning stop or shield and "sol" meaning sun. The word "umbrella" has evolved from the Latin "umbella" (an "umbel" is a flat-topped rounded flower) or "umbra," meaning "shaded."[See more about Umbrella at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Umbrella'
'Umbrella' in famous quotation sentence
* A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. - Robert Frost
Click here for more related quotations on 'Umbrella'
Umbrella Sample Sentences in News
- NOPD searching for man suspected of trying to steal Banksy painting
Known as "Umbrella Girl," the painting at the corner of N. Rampart and Kerlerec in the Marigny is a work by world-famous, yet controversial street artist, Banksy. Several days ago, neighbors noticed a group of men trying to steal the painting. Read more on this news related to 'Umbrella'
- Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Offers Healthcare Umbrella Policy
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance today introduced a Healthcare Umbrella Policy designed to address the exposures of large medical providers in today’s ever-changing he Read more on this news related to 'Umbrella'
- Banas & Fickert Insurance Agency Celebrates National Umbrella Month With Umbrella Insurance Information
Banas & Fickert Insurance Agency takes advantage of National Umbrella Month by promoting the importance of umbrella insurance. (PRWeb March 03, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11562941.htm Read more on this news related to 'Umbrella'