Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Umbrella'
adj : covering or applying simultaneously to a number of similar
items or elements or groups; "an umbrella
organization"; "umbrella insurance coverage"
- a lightweight handheld collapsible canopy
- a formation of military planes maintained over ground operations or targets; "an air umbrella over England"
- having the function of uniting a group of similar things; "the Democratic Party is an umbrella for many liberal groups"; "under the umbrella of capitalism"
- Umbrella \Um*brel"la\, n. [It. umbrella, fr. ombra a shade, L.
umbra; cf. L. umbella a sunshade, a parasol. Cf. Umbel,
- A shade, screen, or guard, carried in the hand for sheltering the person from the rays of the sun, or from rain or snow. It is formed of silk, cotton, or other fabric, extended on strips of whalebone, steel, or other elastic material, inserted, or fastened to, a rod or stick by means of pivots or hinges, in such a way as to allow of being opened and closed with ease. See Parasol. Underneath the umbrella's oily shed. --Gay.
- (Zo["o]l.) The umbrellalike disk, or swimming bell, of a jellyfish.
- (Zo["o]l.) Any marine tectibranchiate gastropod of the genus Umbrella, having an umbrella-shaped shell; -- called also umbrella shell. Umbrella ant (Zo["o]l.), the sauba ant; -- so called because it carries bits of leaves over its back when foraging. Called also parasol ant. Umbrella bird (Zo["o]l.), a South American bird (Cephalopterus ornatus) of the family Cotingid[ae]. It is black, with a large handsome crest consisting of a mass of soft, glossy blue feathers curved outward at the tips. It also has a cervical plume consisting of a long, cylindrical dermal process covered with soft hairy feathers. Called also dragoon bird. Umbrella leaf (Bot.), an American perennial herb (Dyphylleia cymosa), having very large peltate and lobed radical leaves. Umbrella shell. (Zo["o]l.) See Umbrella, 3. Umbrella tree (Bot.), a kind of magnolia (M. Umbrella) with the large leaves arranged in umbrellalike clusters at the ends of the branches. It is a native of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Kentucky. Other plants in various countries are called by this name, especially a kind of screw pine (Pandanus odoratissimus).
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Umbrella'
An umbrella or parasol (also called a brolly, rainshade, sunshade, gamp or bumbershoot) is a canopy designed to protect against rain or sunlight. The term parasol usually refers to an item designed to protect from the sun; umbrella refers to a device more suited to protect from rain. Often the difference is the material; some parasols are not waterproof. Parasols are often meant to be fixed to one point and often used with patio tables or other outdoor furniture. Umbrellas are almost exclusively hand-held portable devices; however, parasols can also be hand-held. Umbrellas can be held as fashion accessories.
The word umbrella comes from the Latin word umbra, meaning shade or shadow (the Latin word, in turn, derives from the Ancient Greek ómbros
Umbrella is another synonym for the term parasol, which was first used as a protection against the scorching heat of the sun, "para" meaning stop or shield and "sol" meaning sun. The word "umbrella" has evolved from the Latin "umbella" (an "umbel" is a flat-topped rounded flower) or "umbra," meaning "shaded."[See more about Umbrella at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Umbrella'
'Umbrella' in famous quotation sentence
* A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. - Robert Frost
Click here for more related quotations on 'Umbrella'
Umbrella Sample Sentences in News
- Umbrella Man Has It Made In the Shade
By Bryan Hacken and Mark Ellwood In a world of manufacturing where machines are taking over, and it seems like everything has been outsourced, one man refuses to give in. His name is Barnett Brickner. Brickner has been spent over 40 years behind a nondescript... Read more on this news related to 'Umbrella'
- Umbrella sharing program coming to NYC
There's nothing worse than trying to dodge and weave through the rain drops on a rainy day in New York City. But a new umbrella sharing pilot may make getting stuck in the rain a little easier. Who really wants to lug an umbrella around all day? So here's a solution: umbrella sharing. Read more on this news related to 'Umbrella'
- San Jose Water Damage Company Offers No Charge Safety Check for Commercial Properties
MORGAN HILL, Calif., April 16, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Umbrella Property Restoration, a leading San Jose water damage and full service remediation company, is now offering free safety checks for commercial properties. The founders of the water damage restoration company understand that a lot of water damage will occur from sewage backups and water leaks that c Read more on this news related to 'Umbrella'