Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Trough'
Trough Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a narrow depression (as in the earth or between ocean waves or in the ocean bed)
- a channel along the eaves or on the roof; collects and carries away rainwater [syn: gutter]
- a concave shape with an open top [syn: bowl]
- a treasury for government funds [syn: public treasury, till]
- a long narrow shallow receptacle
- a container (usually in a barn or stable) from which cattle or horses feed [syn: manger]
- Trough \Trough\, n. (Meteor.)
The transverse section of a cyclonic area where the
barometric pressure, neither rising nor falling, has reached
its lowest point.
- Trough \Trough\, n. [OE. trough, trogh, AS. trog, troh; akin to
D., G., & Icel. trog, Sw. tr[*a]g, Dan. trug; probably
originally meaning, made of wood, and akin to E. tree. ? &
- See Tree, and cf. Trug.]
- A long, hollow vessel, generally for holding water or other liquid, especially one formed by excavating a log longitudinally on one side; a long tray; also, a wooden channel for conveying water, as to a mill wheel.
- Any channel, receptacle, or depression, of a long and narrow shape; as, trough between two ridges, etc. Trough gutter (Arch.), a rectangular or V-shaped gutter, usually hung below the eaves of a house. Trough of the sea, the depression between two waves.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Trough'
- Trough: Trough may refer to: Trough (economics), the lowest turning point of a business cycle Trough (food), a container for animal feed (syn: ...
- Trough (meteorology): A trough is an elongated region of relatively low atmospheric pressure , often associated with front s. symbol for a trough on a weather chart. ...
- Trough (geology): In geology, a trough generally refers to a linear structural depression that extends laterally over a distance, while being less steep ...
- Monsoon trough: The monsoon trough is that portion of the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) which extends into or through a monsoon circulation as ...
- Parabolic trough: A parabolic trough is a type of solar thermal energy collector. It is constructed as a long parabolic mirror (usually coated silver or ...
- Nankai Trough: The Nankai Trough 南海トラフ | Nankai Torofu is a submarine trough located south of Japan 's island of Honshū , extending approximately 900 km ...
- Cayman Trough: The Cayman Trough, or Cayman Trench, also called Bartlett Deep, or Bartlett Trough, is a complex transform fault zone pull apart basin ...
Words and phrases related to 'Trough'