Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Trough'
Trough Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a narrow depression (as in the earth or between ocean waves or in the ocean bed)
- a channel along the eaves or on the roof; collects and carries away rainwater [syn: gutter]
- a concave shape with an open top [syn: bowl]
- a treasury for government funds [syn: public treasury, till]
- a long narrow shallow receptacle
- a container (usually in a barn or stable) from which cattle or horses feed [syn: manger]
- Trough \Trough\, n. (Meteor.)
The transverse section of a cyclonic area where the
barometric pressure, neither rising nor falling, has reached
its lowest point.
- Trough \Trough\, n. [OE. trough, trogh, AS. trog, troh; akin to
D., G., & Icel. trog, Sw. tr[*a]g, Dan. trug; probably
originally meaning, made of wood, and akin to E. tree. ? &
- See Tree, and cf. Trug.]
- A long, hollow vessel, generally for holding water or other liquid, especially one formed by excavating a log longitudinally on one side; a long tray; also, a wooden channel for conveying water, as to a mill wheel.
- Any channel, receptacle, or depression, of a long and narrow shape; as, trough between two ridges, etc. Trough gutter (Arch.), a rectangular or V-shaped gutter, usually hung below the eaves of a house. Trough of the sea, the depression between two waves.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Trough'
- Trough: Trough may refer to: Trough (economics), the lowest turning point of a business cycle Trough (food), a container for animal feed (syn: ...
- Trough (meteorology): A trough is an elongated region of relatively low atmospheric pressure , often associated with front s. symbol for a trough on a weather chart. ...
- Trough (geology): In geology, a trough generally refers to a linear structural depression that extends laterally over a distance, while being less steep ...
- Monsoon trough: The monsoon trough is that portion of the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) which extends into or through a monsoon circulation as ...
- Parabolic trough: A parabolic trough is a type of solar thermal energy collector. It is constructed as a long parabolic mirror (usually coated silver or ...
- Nankai Trough: The Nankai Trough 南海トラフ | Nankai Torofu is a submarine trough located south of Japan 's island of Honshū , extending approximately 900 km ...
- Cayman Trough: The Cayman Trough, or Cayman Trench, also called Bartlett Deep, or Bartlett Trough, is a complex transform fault zone pull apart basin ...
Words and phrases related to 'Trough'
Trough Sample Sentences in News
- Northern Shield Completes Reconnaissance of PGE Targets in Labrador Trough, Quebec
Northern Shield Completes Reconnaissance of PGE Targets in Labrador Trough, Quebec Read more on this news related to 'Trough'
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. Mails Open Letter to Shareholders
Casablanca`s Plan to Sell Assets at Trough of Pricing Cycle Will Destroy Shareholder Value Cliffs` Nominees Have Right Experience and Right Strategy to Preserve Value of Cliffs` Assets in Volatile Commodity ... Read more on this news related to 'Trough'
- Rain for many parts of NZ
An intense trough is expected to approach the country overnight Friday and cross northern and central New Zealand during Saturday. Read more on this news related to 'Trough'