Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Trough'
Trough Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a narrow depression (as in the earth or between ocean waves or in the ocean bed)
- a channel along the eaves or on the roof; collects and carries away rainwater [syn: gutter]
- a concave shape with an open top [syn: bowl]
- a treasury for government funds [syn: public treasury, till]
- a long narrow shallow receptacle
- a container (usually in a barn or stable) from which cattle or horses feed [syn: manger]
- Trough \Trough\, n. (Meteor.)
The transverse section of a cyclonic area where the
barometric pressure, neither rising nor falling, has reached
its lowest point.
- Trough \Trough\, n. [OE. trough, trogh, AS. trog, troh; akin to
D., G., & Icel. trog, Sw. tr[*a]g, Dan. trug; probably
originally meaning, made of wood, and akin to E. tree. ? &
- See Tree, and cf. Trug.]
- A long, hollow vessel, generally for holding water or other liquid, especially one formed by excavating a log longitudinally on one side; a long tray; also, a wooden channel for conveying water, as to a mill wheel.
- Any channel, receptacle, or depression, of a long and narrow shape; as, trough between two ridges, etc. Trough gutter (Arch.), a rectangular or V-shaped gutter, usually hung below the eaves of a house. Trough of the sea, the depression between two waves.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Trough'
- Trough: Trough may refer to: Trough (economics), the lowest turning point of a business cycle Trough (food), a container for animal feed (syn: ...
- Trough (meteorology): A trough is an elongated region of relatively low atmospheric pressure , often associated with front s. symbol for a trough on a weather chart. ...
- Trough (geology): In geology, a trough generally refers to a linear structural depression that extends laterally over a distance, while being less steep ...
- Monsoon trough: The monsoon trough is that portion of the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) which extends into or through a monsoon circulation as ...
- Parabolic trough: A parabolic trough is a type of solar thermal energy collector. It is constructed as a long parabolic mirror (usually coated silver or ...
- Nankai Trough: The Nankai Trough 南海トラフ | Nankai Torofu is a submarine trough located south of Japan 's island of Honshū , extending approximately 900 km ...
- Cayman Trough: The Cayman Trough, or Cayman Trench, also called Bartlett Deep, or Bartlett Trough, is a complex transform fault zone pull apart basin ...
Words and phrases related to 'Trough'
Trough Sample Sentences in News
- Complex trough moves across NI
A complex trough moves across the North Island during today and Thursday, bringing bursts of heavy rain and isolated thunderstorms to parts of the North Island and upper South Island (see latest Severe Weather Warning and Watch for details). By Friday morning, this trough is forecast to move away to the east with the last of the associated rain clearing from the c Read more on this news related to 'Trough'
- New Research Validates GlassPoint’s Solar EOR Technology
GlassPoint Solar, the global leader in solar enhanced oil recovery , today announced it has published two technical papers on its flagship Enclosed Trough solar EOR system with Petroleum Development Oman . Read more on this news related to 'Trough'
- Ridge of high pressure to cover most of NZ on Tuesday
A ridge of high pressure should cover most of New Zealand on Tuesday. The ridge is expected to drift north from Wednesday, with a northwest flow spreading over southern and central New Zealand as a trough approaches the South Island. Rain should develop in the west of the South Island later Wednesday, and may become heavier for a time on Thursday as the trough mov Read more on this news related to 'Trough'