Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Trough'
Trough Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a narrow depression (as in the earth or between ocean waves or in the ocean bed)
- a channel along the eaves or on the roof; collects and carries away rainwater [syn: gutter]
- a concave shape with an open top [syn: bowl]
- a treasury for government funds [syn: public treasury, till]
- a long narrow shallow receptacle
- a container (usually in a barn or stable) from which cattle or horses feed [syn: manger]
- Trough \Trough\, n. (Meteor.)
The transverse section of a cyclonic area where the
barometric pressure, neither rising nor falling, has reached
its lowest point.
- Trough \Trough\, n. [OE. trough, trogh, AS. trog, troh; akin to
D., G., & Icel. trog, Sw. tr[*a]g, Dan. trug; probably
originally meaning, made of wood, and akin to E. tree. ? &
- See Tree, and cf. Trug.]
- A long, hollow vessel, generally for holding water or other liquid, especially one formed by excavating a log longitudinally on one side; a long tray; also, a wooden channel for conveying water, as to a mill wheel.
- Any channel, receptacle, or depression, of a long and narrow shape; as, trough between two ridges, etc. Trough gutter (Arch.), a rectangular or V-shaped gutter, usually hung below the eaves of a house. Trough of the sea, the depression between two waves.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Trough'
- Trough: Trough may refer to: Trough (economics), the lowest turning point of a business cycle Trough (food), a container for animal feed (syn: ...
- Trough (meteorology): A trough is an elongated region of relatively low atmospheric pressure , often associated with front s. symbol for a trough on a weather chart. ...
- Trough (geology): In geology, a trough generally refers to a linear structural depression that extends laterally over a distance, while being less steep ...
- Monsoon trough: The monsoon trough is that portion of the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) which extends into or through a monsoon circulation as ...
- Parabolic trough: A parabolic trough is a type of solar thermal energy collector. It is constructed as a long parabolic mirror (usually coated silver or ...
- Nankai Trough: The Nankai Trough 南海トラフ | Nankai Torofu is a submarine trough located south of Japan 's island of Honshū , extending approximately 900 km ...
- Cayman Trough: The Cayman Trough, or Cayman Trench, also called Bartlett Deep, or Bartlett Trough, is a complex transform fault zone pull apart basin ...
Words and phrases related to 'Trough'
Trough Sample Sentences in News
- New Glasgow recognizes century-old watering trough
NEW GLASGOW – Aleta Williams looked on with pride as her late father Albert and the trough where his horses stopped for a drink were honoured on Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Trough'
- 'Large trough' of cold weather to bring rain and gales
Enjoy the sunshine while it last as a "large trough" of cold weather is set to move over the country, bringing with it rain and gales.The brunt of the bad weather will hit just in time for the weekend, putting an end to the unseasonably... Read more on this news related to 'Trough'
- Monsoon trough to bring rains over Luzon -- PAGASA
Expect rains in most parts of the country including Metro Manila on Tuesday due to monsoon trough across Southern Luzon, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said. In an interview, PAGASA weather forecaster Aldczar Aurelio said the monsoon trough or extended cloudiness from the low pressure area will bring occas Read more on this news related to 'Trough'