Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Translation'
- a written communication in a second language having the same meaning as the written communication in a first language [syn: interlingual rendition, rendering, version]
- a uniform movement without rotation
- the act of changing in form or shape or appearance; "a photograph is a translation of a scene onto a two-dimensional surface" [syn: transformation]
- (mathematics) a transformation in which the origin of the coordinate system is moved to another position but the direction of each axis remains the same
- (genetics) the process whereby genetic information coded in messenger RNA directs the formation of a specific protein at a ribosome in the cytoplasm
- rewording something in less technical terminology
- the act of uniform movement [syn: displacement]
- Translation \Trans*la"tion\, n. [F. translation, L. translatio a
transferring, translation, version. See Translate, and cf.
- The act of translating, removing, or transferring; removal; also, the state of being translated or removed; as, the translation of Enoch; the translation of a bishop.
- The act of rendering into another language; interpretation; as, the translation of idioms is difficult.
- That which is obtained by translating something a version; as, a translation of the Scriptures.
- (Rhet.) A transfer of meaning in a word or phrase, a metaphor; a tralation. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
- (Metaph.) Transfer of meaning by association; association of ideas. --A. Tucker.
- (Kinematics) Motion in which all the points of the moving body have at any instant the same velocity and direction of motion; -- opposed to rotation.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Translation'
Translation is the communication of the meaning of a source-language text by means of an equivalent target-language text.
Translators always risk inappropriate spill-over of source-language idiom and usage into the target-language translation. On the other hand, spill-overs have imported useful source-language calques and loanwords that have enriched the target languages. Indeed, translators have helped substantially to shape the languages into which they have translated.
Due to the demands of business documentation consequent to the Industrial Revolution that began in the mid-18th century, some translation specialties have become formalized, with dedicated schools and professional associations.
Because of the laboriousness of translation, since the 1940s engineers have sought to automate translation (machine translation) or to mechanically aid the human translator (computer-assisted translation).[See more about Translation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Translation'
'Translation' in famous quotation sentence
* For what is liberty but the unhampered translation of will into act - Alighieri Dante
* Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts, because it is no mere translation or abstraction from life, it is life itself. - Henry Havelock Ellis
Click here for more related quotations on 'Translation'
Translation Sample Sentences in News
- Welocalize Integrates Vendor and Account Management Platform With XTRF Translation Management System
Welocalize, a global leader in translation and localization services, announced the successful integration of the XTRF™ translation management system connector into the proprietary Welocalize Project Management ... Read more on this news related to 'Translation'
- Translation blunder may have led to Ultraman ban
The use of the word 'Allah' in the recently banned 'Ultraman The Ultra Power' comic book appears to have been another faux pas involving Google 's web translation service. A photograph of the Malay version of the comic circulated online last night speculating the book has been banned because it described the character Ultraman King as 'Alla Read more on this news related to 'Translation'
- Welocalize to Present in Los Angeles at Translation Technology Conference, memoQfest Americas
Welocalize, a global leader in translation and localization, will be sharing machine translation knowledge and expertise at the 2014 memoQfest Americas conference in Los Angeles, February 27 through March ... Read more on this news related to 'Translation'