Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Traffic'
- the aggregation of things (pedestrians or vehicles) coming and going in a particular locality during a specified period of time
- buying and selling; especially illicit trade
- the amount of activity over a communication system during a given period of time; "heavy traffic overloaded the trunk lines"; "traffic on the internet is lightest during the night"
- social or verbal interchange (usually followed by `with') [syn: dealings] v
- deal illegally; "traffic drugs"
- trade or deal a commodity; "They trafficked with us for gold" [also: trafficking, trafficked]
- Traffic \Traf"fic\, n. [Cf. F. trafic, It. traffico, Sp.
tr['a]fico, tr['a]fago, Pg. tr['a]fego, LL. traficum,
trafica. See Traffic, v.]
- Commerce, either by barter or by buying and selling; interchange of goods and commodities; trade. A merchant of great traffic through the world. --Shak. The traffic in honors, places, and pardons. --Macaulay. Note: This word, like trade, comprehends every species of dealing in the exchange or passing of goods or merchandise from hand to hand for an equivalent, unless the business of relating may be excepted. It signifies appropriately foreign trade, but is not limited to that.
- Traffic \Traf"fic\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Trafficked; p. pr. &
vb. n. Trafficking.] [F. trafiquer; cf. It. trafficare, Sp.
traficar, trafagar, Pg. traficar, trafegar, trafeguear, LL.
traficare; of uncertain origin, perhaps fr. L. trans across,
over + -ficare to make (see -fy, and cf. G. ["u]bermachen
to transmit, send over, e. g., money, wares); or cf. Pg.
trasfegar to pour out from one vessel into another, OPg.
also, to traffic, perhaps fr. (assumed) LL. vicare to
exchange, from L. vicis change (cf. Vicar).]
- To pass goods and commodities from one person to another for an equivalent in goods or money; to buy or sell goods; to barter; to trade.
- To trade meanly or mercenarily; to bargain.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Traffic'
Traffic on roads may consist of pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using the public way for purposes of travel. Traffic laws are the laws which govern traffic and regulate vehicles, while rules of the road are both the laws and the informal rules that may have developed over time to facilitate the orderly and timely flow of traffic.
Organized traffic generally has well-established priorities, lanes, right-of-way, and traffic control at intersections.
Traffic is formally organized in many jurisdictions, with marked lanes, junctions, intersections, interchanges, traffic signals, or signs. Traffic is often classified by type: heavy motor vehicle (e.g., car, truck); other vehicle (e.g., moped, bicycle); and pedestrian. Different classes may share speed limits and easement, or may be segregated. Some jurisdictions may have very detailed and complex rules of the road while others rely more on drivers' common sense and willingness to cooperate.[See more about Traffic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Traffic'
'Traffic' in famous quotation sentence
* Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams. - Mary Ellen Kelly
* Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous you get knocked down by traffic from both sides. - Margaret Hilda Thatcher
Click here for more related quotations on 'Traffic'
Traffic Sample Sentences in News
- The Worst Traffic Jams In History
According to Wikipedia, traffic congestion occurs when a volume of traffic or modal split generates demand for space greater than the available road capacity; this point is commonly termed saturation. Most of us ? particularly if we happen to be sitting in our cars crawling along at a snail?s pace at the time ? refer to it in far less civilized terms than that. Read more on this news related to 'Traffic'
- Weeklong traffic mess possible after CT derailment
Traffic in southwest Connecticut could be a mess for as much as a week until service is restored to the commuter rail line affected by a derailment that injured scores of passengers, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy ... Read more on this news related to 'Traffic'
- Traffic Ticket Attorney, Mr. Ticket, is Offering Free Consultation for Hit and Run Charges
LOS ANGELES, May 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mr. Ticket, traffic ticket attorney , now offers free consultations for drivers charged with a hit and run offense. Hit and run offenses are among the most serious ... Read more on this news related to 'Traffic'