Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tract'
Tract Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- an extended area of land [syn: piece of land, piece of ground, parcel of land, parcel]
- a system of body parts that together serve some particular purpose
- a brief treatise on a subject of interest; published in the form of a booklet [syn: pamphlet]
- a bundle of mylenated nerve fibers following a path through the brain [syn: nerve pathway, nerve tract, pathway]
- Tract \Tract\, v. t.
To trace out; to track; also, to draw out; to protact. [Obs.]
--Spenser. --B. Jonson.
- Tract \Tract\, n. [L. tractus a drawing, train, track, course,
tract of land, from trahere tractum, to draw. Senses 4 and 5
are perhaps due to confusion with track. See Trace,v., and
- Something drawn out or extended; expanse. ``The deep tract of hell.'' --Milton.
- A region or quantity of land or water, of indefinite extent; an area; as, an unexplored tract of sea. A very high mountain joined to the mainland by a narrow tract of earth. --Addison.
- Traits; features; lineaments. [Obs.] The discovery of a man's self by the tracts of his countenance is a great weakness. --Bacon.
- The footprint of a wild beast. [Obs.] --Dryden.
- Track; trace. [Obs.] Efface all tract of its traduction. --Sir T. Browne. But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forthon, Leaving no tract behind. --Shak.
- Treatment; exposition. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Continuity or extension of anything; as, the tract of speech. [Obs.] --Older.
- Continued or protracted duration; length; extent. ``Improved by tract of time.'' --Milton.
- (R. C. Ch.) Verses of Scripture sung at Mass, instead of the Alleluia, from Septuagesima Sunday till the Saturday befor Easter; -- so called because sung tractim, or without a break, by one voice, instead of by many as in the antiphons. Syn: Region; district; quarter; essay; treatise; dissertation.
- Tract \Tract\, n. [Abbrev.fr. tractate.]
A written discourse or dissertation, generally of short
extent; a short treatise, especially on practical religion.
The church clergy at that time writ the best collection
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tract'
- Tract: Tract may refer to: Land lot , a section of land. Census tract , a geographic region defined for the purpose of taking a census ...
- Tract (literature): A tract is a literary work , and in current usage, usually religious in nature. The notion of what constitutes a tract has changed over ...
- Chick tract: Chick tracts are short evangelical -themed tracts created by American publisher Jack Chick . Chick tracts use a comic book format. ...
- Tract housing: Tract housing (also known as cookie-cutter housing) is a style of housing development in which multiple identical homes are built on a ...
- Tract (liturgy): The tract (Latin : tractus) is part of the proper of the liturgical celebration of the Eucharist for many Christian denominations , ...
- Vestibulospinal tract: The vestibulospinal tract is one of the descending spinal tracts of the ventromedial pathway. It originates from the vestibular nuclei of ...
- Olfactory tract: The olfactory tract is a bundle of axons connecting the mitral and tufted cells of the olfactory bulb to several target regions in the ...
- Corticospinal tract: The corticospinal or pyramidal tract is a collection of axon s that travel between the cerebral cortex of the brain and the spinal cord ...
Words and phrases related to 'Tract'
Tract Sample Sentences in News
- Cubist says urinary tract infection drug succeeds in study
Cubist Pharmaceuticals Inc said its experimental treatment for a type of urinary tract infection showed it was as effective as an approved antibiotic, sending its shares up 8 percent to a 13-year high. The main goal of a late-stage trial was to show whether the intravenous treatment, a combination of ceftolozane and tazobactam, eradicated the infection and cured p Read more on this news related to 'Tract'
- Lost dogs hope to find ‘forever’ home
For more information about the dogs, call Pouncey Tract Vet at 804-364-4444. Read more on this news related to 'Tract'
- HOPEWELL TOWNSHIP: Height of Pennytown buildings will be limited by agreement
As part of an agreement with the development firm of Conifer Realty approved unanimously by the Hopewell Township Committee Monday night, 70 affordable rental housing units planned for the Pennytown tract in the central section of the township will be in two-story buildings, no taller than 35 feet. Read more on this news related to 'Tract'