Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tract'
Tract Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- an extended area of land [syn: piece of land, piece of ground, parcel of land, parcel]
- a system of body parts that together serve some particular purpose
- a brief treatise on a subject of interest; published in the form of a booklet [syn: pamphlet]
- a bundle of mylenated nerve fibers following a path through the brain [syn: nerve pathway, nerve tract, pathway]
- Tract \Tract\, v. t.
To trace out; to track; also, to draw out; to protact. [Obs.]
--Spenser. --B. Jonson.
- Tract \Tract\, n. [L. tractus a drawing, train, track, course,
tract of land, from trahere tractum, to draw. Senses 4 and 5
are perhaps due to confusion with track. See Trace,v., and
- Something drawn out or extended; expanse. ``The deep tract of hell.'' --Milton.
- A region or quantity of land or water, of indefinite extent; an area; as, an unexplored tract of sea. A very high mountain joined to the mainland by a narrow tract of earth. --Addison.
- Traits; features; lineaments. [Obs.] The discovery of a man's self by the tracts of his countenance is a great weakness. --Bacon.
- The footprint of a wild beast. [Obs.] --Dryden.
- Track; trace. [Obs.] Efface all tract of its traduction. --Sir T. Browne. But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forthon, Leaving no tract behind. --Shak.
- Treatment; exposition. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Continuity or extension of anything; as, the tract of speech. [Obs.] --Older.
- Continued or protracted duration; length; extent. ``Improved by tract of time.'' --Milton.
- (R. C. Ch.) Verses of Scripture sung at Mass, instead of the Alleluia, from Septuagesima Sunday till the Saturday befor Easter; -- so called because sung tractim, or without a break, by one voice, instead of by many as in the antiphons. Syn: Region; district; quarter; essay; treatise; dissertation.
- Tract \Tract\, n. [Abbrev.fr. tractate.]
A written discourse or dissertation, generally of short
extent; a short treatise, especially on practical religion.
The church clergy at that time writ the best collection
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tract'
- Tract: Tract may refer to: Land lot , a section of land. Census tract , a geographic region defined for the purpose of taking a census ...
- Tract (literature): A tract is a literary work , and in current usage, usually religious in nature. The notion of what constitutes a tract has changed over ...
- Chick tract: Chick tracts are short evangelical -themed tracts created by American publisher Jack Chick . Chick tracts use a comic book format. ...
- Tract housing: Tract housing (also known as cookie-cutter housing) is a style of housing development in which multiple identical homes are built on a ...
- Tract (liturgy): The tract (Latin : tractus) is part of the proper of the liturgical celebration of the Eucharist for many Christian denominations , ...
- Vestibulospinal tract: The vestibulospinal tract is one of the descending spinal tracts of the ventromedial pathway. It originates from the vestibular nuclei of ...
- Olfactory tract: The olfactory tract is a bundle of axons connecting the mitral and tufted cells of the olfactory bulb to several target regions in the ...
- Corticospinal tract: The corticospinal or pyramidal tract is a collection of axon s that travel between the cerebral cortex of the brain and the spinal cord ...
Words and phrases related to 'Tract'
Tract Sample Sentences in News
- Canadian cyclist Hesjedal recovering from upper respiratory tract infection
VANCOUVER - Canadian cyclist Ryder Hesjedal is recovering from a respiratory tract infection that forced him to pull out of the Giro d'Italia. Read more on this news related to 'Tract'
- HOPEWELL TOWNSHIP: Officials eye purchase of tract in Pennytown
The Hopewell Township Committee adopted a bond ordinance Monday night authorizing the purchase of a 2½-acre tract that adjoins the 25-acre Pennytown tract the township bought several years ago as a site for affordable housing. Read more on this news related to 'Tract'
- Hesjedal incurred respiratory tract infection
Canadian cyclist Ryder Hesjedal is recovering from a respiratory tract infection that forced him to pull out of the Giro d'Italia. Read more on this news related to 'Tract'