Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tiara'
n : a crown-like jewelled headdress worn by women on formal
- Tiara \Ti*a"ra\, n. [L., from Gr. ?, ?; of Persian origin.]
- A form of headdress worn by the ancient Persians. According to Xenophon, the royal tiara was encircled with a diadem, and was high and erect, while those of the people were flexible, or had rims turned over.
- The pope's triple crown. It was at first a round, high cap, but was afterward encompassed with a crown, subsequently with a second, and finally with a third. Fig.: The papal dignity.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tiara'
A tiara (from Latin: tiara, from Ancient Greek: τιάρα, itself from Old Persian tiyārā) is a form of crown. There are two possible types of crown that this word can refer to.
Traditionally, the word "tiara" refers to a high crown, often with the shape of a cylinder narrowed at its top, made of fabric or leather, and richly ornamented. It was used by the kings and emperors of some ancient peoples in Mesopotamia. The Assyrians used to include a pair of bull horns as a decoration and symbol of authority and a circle of short feathers surrounding the tiara's top. The Persian tiara was more similar to a truncated cone, without the horns and feathers but more jewels, and a conic-shaped tip at its top.
In the Roman Catholic Church, the Papal Tiara is a high cap surrounded by three crowns and bearing a globe surmounted by a cross worn by the Pope during certain ceremonies, being the symbol of his authority. Since Pope Paul VI set aside his tiara after the Second Vatican Council, the Papal Tiara has not been worn. Pope Benedict XVI even removed the tiara from his Coat of Arms, replacing it with a mitre (but with some symbolic reference to the symbolism of the tiara, still in use in the Holy See's coat of arms).[See more about Tiara at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Tiara'
Tiara Sample Sentences in News
- RM30,000 tiara for Unduk Ngadau
KOTA KINABALU: This year’s Unduk Ngadau will be crowned with a RM30,000 worth of tiara made with Swarovski Zirconia gemstone. The sponsor, Diamoney Global Sdn Bhd (Diamoney), has been a strong sponsor for Unduk Ngadau Kaamatan since 2012 for the Kota Kinabalu city and the state-level grand finale. Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'
- Tiara Classic veteran found herself in running
MATTAPOISETT — For Angela Corrieri-Johnson, the decision to take up running was partly about getting in shape. Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'
- Meet Two of the Youngest Geniuses in the World
There are not many children quite like Tanishq and Tiara Abraham. Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'