Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tiara'
n : a crown-like jewelled headdress worn by women on formal
- Tiara \Ti*a"ra\, n. [L., from Gr. ?, ?; of Persian origin.]
- A form of headdress worn by the ancient Persians. According to Xenophon, the royal tiara was encircled with a diadem, and was high and erect, while those of the people were flexible, or had rims turned over.
- The pope's triple crown. It was at first a round, high cap, but was afterward encompassed with a crown, subsequently with a second, and finally with a third. Fig.: The papal dignity.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tiara'
A tiara (from Latin: tiara, from Ancient Greek: τιάρα, itself from Old Persian tiyārā) is a form of crown. There are two possible types of crown that this word can refer to.
Traditionally, the word "tiara" refers to a high crown, often with the shape of a cylinder narrowed at its top, made of fabric or leather, and richly ornamented. It was used by the kings and emperors of some ancient peoples in Mesopotamia. The Assyrians used to include a pair of bull horns as a decoration and symbol of authority and a circle of short feathers surrounding the tiara's top. The Persian tiara was more similar to a truncated cone, without the horns and feathers but more jewels, and a conic-shaped tip at its top.
In the Roman Catholic Church, the Papal Tiara is a high cap surrounded by three crowns and bearing a globe surmounted by a cross worn by the Pope during certain ceremonies, being the symbol of his authority. Since Pope Paul VI set aside his tiara after the Second Vatican Council, the Papal Tiara has not been worn. Pope Benedict XVI even removed the tiara from his Coat of Arms, replacing it with a mitre (but with some symbolic reference to the symbolism of the tiara, still in use in the Holy See's coat of arms).[See more about Tiara at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Tiara'
Tiara Sample Sentences in News
- Former first lady's tiara sought for exhibit
Museum curator Kim Kenney had been tipped off to watch an episode of "Pawn Stars" because a familiar piece of jewelry would be featured. Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'
- Woman alleges housing voucher discrimination in pricey Chicago buildings
Tiara is a African-American mother of two small children who longed for a better Chicago public school for her six-year-old son. Last year, Tiara decided to move out of Bronzeville and began searching for apartments in the pricey River North area. But when she mentioned she had a housing choice voucher, or Section 8, landlords told Tiara they wouldn’t take her v Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'
- Pawn shop may sell McKinley wife's tiara to museum
The McKinley Presidential Library and Museum in northeast Ohio is hurriedly fundraising in hopes of buying a tiara that once belonged to President William McKinley's wife. The owners of Ida McKinley's ... Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'