Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tiara'
n : a crown-like jewelled headdress worn by women on formal
- Tiara \Ti*a"ra\, n. [L., from Gr. ?, ?; of Persian origin.]
- A form of headdress worn by the ancient Persians. According to Xenophon, the royal tiara was encircled with a diadem, and was high and erect, while those of the people were flexible, or had rims turned over.
- The pope's triple crown. It was at first a round, high cap, but was afterward encompassed with a crown, subsequently with a second, and finally with a third. Fig.: The papal dignity.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tiara'
A tiara (from Latin: tiara, from Ancient Greek: τιάρα, itself from Old Persian tiyārā) is a form of crown. There are two possible types of crown that this word can refer to.
Traditionally, the word "tiara" refers to a high crown, often with the shape of a cylinder narrowed at its top, made of fabric or leather, and richly ornamented. It was used by the kings and emperors of some ancient peoples in Mesopotamia. The Assyrians used to include a pair of bull horns as a decoration and symbol of authority and a circle of short feathers surrounding the tiara's top. The Persian tiara was more similar to a truncated cone, without the horns and feathers but more jewels, and a conic-shaped tip at its top.
In the Roman Catholic Church, the Papal Tiara is a high cap surrounded by three crowns and bearing a globe surmounted by a cross worn by the Pope during certain ceremonies, being the symbol of his authority. Since Pope Paul VI set aside his tiara after the Second Vatican Council, the Papal Tiara has not been worn. Pope Benedict XVI even removed the tiara from his Coat of Arms, replacing it with a mitre (but with some symbolic reference to the symbolism of the tiara, still in use in the Holy See's coat of arms).[See more about Tiara at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Tiara'
Tiara Sample Sentences in News
- Kate Middleton Wears Lotus Flower Tiara After Queen Elizabeth, Princess Margaret
The Lotus Flower Tiara, loaned to Kate from the Queen's collection, dates back to the 1920s Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'
- All the details on Kate's tiara
Kate Middleton dazzled in a tiara loaned to her by the Queen as she stepped out for a black... Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'
- Kate Middleton dons heirloom tiara for diplomatic banquet
When the former Kate Middleton needs to go glam, well, she dons a tiara. Read more on this news related to 'Tiara'