Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Thorough'
- painstakingly careful and accurate; "our accountant is thorough"; "thorough research"
- very thorough; exhaustively complete; "an exhaustive study"; "made a thorough search"; "thoroughgoing research" [syn: exhaustive, thoroughgoing]
- Thorough \Thor"ough\, prep. [See Through.]
Through. [Obs.] --Spenser. Shak.
- Thorough \Thor"ough\, a.
- Passing through; as, thorough lights in a house. [Obs.]
- Passing through or to the end; hence, complete; perfect; as, a thorough reformation; thorough work; a thorough translator; a thorough poet.
- Thorough \Thor"ough\, adv.
- Thoroughly. [Obs. or Colloq.] --Chaucer.
- Through. [Obs.] --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Thorough'
In 17th century England, Thorough was a name given by Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford to a scheme of his to establish absolute monarchy in England. Although "Thorough" is largely attributed to Strafford, its implementation can also be accredited to the Archbishop of Canterbury William Laud.
Laud exploited his secular and religious roles to implement the policy of thorough in England. Laud used his authority as Archbishop of Canterbury to appoint only Arminian clergymen as Bishops, this in turn meant that most of the vicars that they appointed would also be Arminian. Arminianism is a sect of Protestant Christianity which believes in the "Divine Right of Kings" and the (Catholic reminiscent) "Beauty of Holiness". Laud hoped that his new, Arminian Church of England would make the English conform into believing in the 'Divine Right' and supporting Charles I's personal rule and setting up of a parliament-independent monarchy.[See more about Thorough at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Thorough'
'Thorough' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Thorough'
Thorough Sample Sentences in News
- Prosecutor: Winston investigation 'thorough'
The prosecutor investigating sexual assault allegations against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston wants the process to be ''thorough'' and won't let football dictate when he will wrap up his inquiry. State Attorney Willie Meggs on Monday reiterated he won't let FSU's football schedule or Winston's Heisman Trophy possibilities Read more on this news related to 'Thorough'
- CriminalBackgroundRecords.com Strongly Recommends Thorough Background Screening for All Volunteers and Caregivers
Recent headlines strongly suggest stringent background screening should be an integral part of the pre-employment process for caregivers and paid/unpaid volunteers. CriminalBackgroundRecords.com recommends thorough initial background screening and continuous background checks as proactive tools in protecting at-risk populations. (PRWeb December 12, 2013) Read the Read more on this news related to 'Thorough'
- NOPRIN Calls For Investigation of Another Police Execution Of Five Men In Benin City
By SaharaReporters, New York The Network on Police Reform In Nigeria (NOPRIN) has called for a thorough investigation to ascertain the actual circumstances and truth surrounding the killing of Samuel Imaikop and four others by policemen of the Edo State Police Command on November 24. read more Read more on this news related to 'Thorough'