Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Temporality'
n : the worldly possessions of a church [syn: temporalty]
- Temporality \Tem`po*ral"i*ty\, n.; pl. Temporalities. [L.
temporalitas, in LL., possessions of the church: cf. F.
- The state or quality of being temporary; -- opposed to perpetuity.
- The laity; temporality. [Obs.] --Sir T. More.
- That which pertains to temporal welfare; material interests; especially, the revenue of an ecclesiastic proceeding from lands, tenements, or lay fees, tithes, and the like; -- chiefly used in the plural. Supreme head, . . . under God, of the spirituality and temporality of the same church. --Fuller.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Temporality'
Temporality is a term often used in philosophy in talking about the way time is. The traditional mode of temporality is a linear procession of past, present, future. Some 20th century philosophers have made various interpretations of temporality in ways other than this linear manner; for example, the present moment emerging only from where our projected future is curled back into a past.
Examples: McTaggart and the The Unreality of Time, Husserl's analysis of internal time consciousness, Heidegger's Being and Time, George Herbert Mead's Philosophy of the Present, Derrida's criticisms of Husserl's analysis and Nietzsche's Eternal return of the same, though this latter pertains more to historicity to which temporality gives rise.[See more about Temporality at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Temporality'
'Temporality' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Temporality'
Temporality Sample Sentences in News
- Temporary Dispensary Ban In Jackson Co.
MEDFORD, Ore. — Medical marijuana dispensaries are being temporality banned in Jackson County. County commissioners voted in favor of a 120 day moratorium today. They said this is a big decision and do not want to rush into anything too soon. The moratorium will give them time to take a closer look into county and … Continue reading » Read more on this news related to 'Temporality'