Telugu Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a Dravidian language spoken by the Telugu people in southeastern India
- a member of the people in southeastern India (Andhra Pradesh) who speak the Telugu language
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a member of the people in southeastern India (Andhra Pradesh) who speak the Telugu language ,
- a Dravidian language spoken by the Telugu in southeastern India
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Telugu'?
Telugu Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Telugu is an Indian language spoken in the southern part of India. It is the official language of Andhra Pradesh. It is one of the twenty-two scheduled languages of the Republic of India. Telugu is the second most popular language spoken in India and 15th largest spoken language in the world. As it is one of the oldest languages in the world, Government of India gave it the status of a Classical language.
Aitereya Brahmanyam which is a part of Rigveda (literature dates to 7000 years before CE) written thousands years before CE, has mentioned Telugu. Telugu also finds mention in Rajatarangini, written by Bilhana Kavi. As per Hindu mythology, one of the sons of Bali Chakravarthy (the one who was sent to Pathaala by Vamana) is Andhra or Andhrudu. Telugu region i.e. Andhra or AP was ruled by him, long before the times of Ramayana and Mahabharata (literature is proven to be of the period 3000 years before CE).
Telugu Sample Sentences in News
- Telugu film shootings hit by employees’ strike
Production activities in the Telugu film industry have been hit with an estimated over 10,000 employees resorting to strike demanding hike in wages and better working conditions. There have... Read more on this news related to 'Telugu'
- Telugu film industry downs shutters, as employees declare week-long bandh
Operations in Telugu film industry came to a grinding halt on Monday as an estimated 10,000 employees involved in the 24 crafts of the industry, declared a week-long bandh seeking better pay and wo... Read more on this news related to 'Telugu'
- Telugu actor hopes 'Porkuthirai' finds him more work in Tamil films
Chennai, Oct 20 (IANS) Telugu actor Chaitanya Krishna, who has starred in Tamil film "Rowthiram" earlier in his career, hopes to find more work in the industry through his upcoming Tamil revenge drama "Porkuthirai". Read more on this news related to 'Telugu'