Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tectonic'
- pertaining to the structure or movement of the earth's crust; "tectonic plates"; "tectonic valleys"
- of or pertaining to construction or architecture [syn: architectonic]
- Tectonic \Tec*ton"ic\, a.
- (Biol.) Structural.
- (Geol. & Phys. Geog.) Of, pert. to, or designating, the rock structures and external forms resulting from the deformation of the earth's crust; as, tectonic arches or valleys.
- Tectonic \Tec*ton"ic\, a. [L. tectonicus, Gr. ?, fr. ?, ?, a
Of or pertaining to building or construction; architectural.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tectonic'
Tectonics (from the Vulgar Latin tectonicus, meaning "building") is a field of study within geology concerned generally with the structures within the lithosphere of the Earth (or other planets) and particularly with the forces and movements that have operated in a region to create these structures.
Tectonics is concerned with the orogenies and tectonic development of cratons and tectonic terranes as well as the earthquake and volcanic belts which directly affect much of the global population. Tectonic studies are also important for understanding erosion patterns in geomorphology and as guides for the economic geologist searching for petroleum and metallic ores.
There are a number of subordinate and related fields. A subfield of tectonics that deals with tectonic phenomena in the geologically recent period is called neotectonics. Tectonics is closely related to structural geology. The difference between the fields is a matter of scale: structural geologists are generally concerned with finer-scale rock deformation, while those studying tectonics are more concerned with the broader features. Tectonophysics is the study of the physics behind the tectonic processes that geologists observe.[See more about Tectonic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Tectonic'
Tectonic Sample Sentences in News
- Iceland Volcano Alert: Eruptions, Ash Cloud, And Travel Essentials
In Iceland, the earth is restless. With geological superlatives, immense tectonic plates are shifting slowly, pulling the island apart, prompting more than a 3,500 earthquakes since the weekend and making one of Iceland's most extensive volcano systems, Bárðarbunga, rumble menacingly, buried below Europe's largest glacier, Vatnajökull. The strongest qua Read more on this news related to 'Tectonic'
- Induced quakes rattle less than tectonic quakes, except near epicenter
( Seismological Society of America ) Induced earthquakes generate significantly lower shaking than tectonic earthquakes with comparable magnitudes, except within 10 km of the epicenter, according to a study to be published online Aug. 19 in the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. Read more on this news related to 'Tectonic'
- Is a different Icelandic volcano about to act up?
With tectonic rumbles underneath the ice, Iceland has raised the alert level. Read more on this news related to 'Tectonic'