Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Taught'
adj : (all used chiefly with qualifiers `well' or `poorly' or
`un-') having received specific instruction;
"unschooled ruffians"; "well tutored applicants" [syn:
instructed, schooled, tutored]
- Teach \Teach\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Taught; p. pr. & vb. n.
Teaching.] [OE. techen, imp. taughte, tahte, AS. t?cean,
imp. t?hte, to show, teach, akin to t[=a]cn token. See
- To impart the knowledge of; to give intelligence concerning; to impart, as knowledge before unknown, or rules for practice; to inculcate as true or important; to exhibit impressively; as, to teach arithmetic, dancing, music, or the like; to teach morals. If some men teach wicked things, it must be that others should practice them. --South.
- To direct, as an instructor; to manage, as a preceptor; to guide the studies of; to instruct; to inform; to conduct through a course of studies; as, to teach a child or a class. ``He taught his disciples.'' --Mark ix. 31. The village master taught his little school. --Goldsmith.
- To accustom; to guide; to show; to admonish. I shall myself to herbs teach you. --Chaucer. They have taught their tongue to speak lies. --Jer. ix. 5. Note: This verb is often used with two objects, one of the person, the other of the thing; as, he taught me Latin grammar. In the passive construction, either of these objects may be retained in the objective case, while the other becomes the subject; as, I was taught Latin grammar by him; Latin grammar was taught me by him. Syn: To instruct; inform; inculcate; tell; guide; counsel; admonish. See the Note under Learn.
- Taught \Taught\, a.
See Taut. --Totten.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Taught'
In education, a teacher (or, in the US, educator) is a person who provides schooling for pupils and students. A teacher who facilitates education for an individual student may also be described as a personal tutor. The role of teacher is often formal and ongoing, carried out by way of occupation or profession at a school or other place of formal education. In many countries, a person who wishes to become a teacher must first obtain professional qualifications or credentials from a university or college. These professional qualifications may include the study of pedagogy, the science of teaching. Teachers may have to continue their education after they qualify. Teachers may use a lesson plan to facilitate student learning, providing a course of study which is called the curriculum. A teacher's role may vary among cultures. Teachers may provide education instruction in literacy and numeracy, craftsmanship or vocational training, the Arts, religion or spirituality, civics, community roles, or life skills. In some countries, formal education can take place through home schooling.[See more about Taught at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Taught'
'Taught' in famous quotation sentence
* Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
* The things taught in colleges and schools are not an education, but the means of education. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Taught'
Taught Sample Sentences in News
- Chelsea Clinton: I taught parents to text
In her first visit to South by Southwest Interactive, the tech-themed conference underway here, former first daughter Chelsea Clinton devoted the bulk of her prepared talk Tuesday to the admirable work of her family's foundation in improving global health care. Read more on this news related to 'Taught'
- Gesturing with hands a powerful tool for children's math learning
Children who use their hands to gesture during a math lesson gain a deep understanding of the problems they are taught, according to new research. Previous research has found that gestures can help children learn. This study in particular was designed to answer whether abstract gesture can support generalization beyond a particular problem and whether abstract ges Read more on this news related to 'Taught'
- 12 Years A Slave Will Be Taught In Schools
Updated 1:15pm EST 12 Years a Slave will be taught in American public high schools after it is distributed in September, the National School Boards Association has announced. The Oscar-nominated movie will be sent to public high schools across the United States, according to the federation of schools boards, which is partnering with New Regency, Penguin Books, and Read more on this news related to 'Taught'