Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Taught'
adj : (all used chiefly with qualifiers `well' or `poorly' or
`un-') having received specific instruction;
"unschooled ruffians"; "well tutored applicants" [syn:
instructed, schooled, tutored]
- Teach \Teach\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Taught; p. pr. & vb. n.
Teaching.] [OE. techen, imp. taughte, tahte, AS. t?cean,
imp. t?hte, to show, teach, akin to t[=a]cn token. See
- To impart the knowledge of; to give intelligence concerning; to impart, as knowledge before unknown, or rules for practice; to inculcate as true or important; to exhibit impressively; as, to teach arithmetic, dancing, music, or the like; to teach morals. If some men teach wicked things, it must be that others should practice them. --South.
- To direct, as an instructor; to manage, as a preceptor; to guide the studies of; to instruct; to inform; to conduct through a course of studies; as, to teach a child or a class. ``He taught his disciples.'' --Mark ix. 31. The village master taught his little school. --Goldsmith.
- To accustom; to guide; to show; to admonish. I shall myself to herbs teach you. --Chaucer. They have taught their tongue to speak lies. --Jer. ix. 5. Note: This verb is often used with two objects, one of the person, the other of the thing; as, he taught me Latin grammar. In the passive construction, either of these objects may be retained in the objective case, while the other becomes the subject; as, I was taught Latin grammar by him; Latin grammar was taught me by him. Syn: To instruct; inform; inculcate; tell; guide; counsel; admonish. See the Note under Learn.
- Taught \Taught\, a.
See Taut. --Totten.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Taught'
In education, a teacher (or, in the US, educator) is a person who provides schooling for pupils and students. A teacher who facilitates education for an individual student may also be described as a personal tutor. The role of teacher is often formal and ongoing, carried out by way of occupation or profession at a school or other place of formal education. In many countries, a person who wishes to become a teacher must first obtain professional qualifications or credentials from a university or college. These professional qualifications may include the study of pedagogy, the science of teaching. Teachers may have to continue their education after they qualify. Teachers may use a lesson plan to facilitate student learning, providing a course of study which is called the curriculum. A teacher's role may vary among cultures. Teachers may provide education instruction in literacy and numeracy, craftsmanship or vocational training, the Arts, religion or spirituality, civics, community roles, or life skills. In some countries, formal education can take place through home schooling.[See more about Taught at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Taught'
'Taught' in famous quotation sentence
* Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
* The things taught in colleges and schools are not an education, but the means of education. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Taught'
Taught Sample Sentences in News
- Law School Never Taught Me to Be an Entrepreneur
You can't teach lawyers to be entrepreneurs. But you can give them experiences in law school to understand how entrepreneurs work and think. Read more on this news related to 'Taught'
- How To Become A Leadership Game Changer
Video Many of us were taught that when we make a mistake we should immediately rise up, dust ourselves off, get over it, and get on with life. I have received some insightful inquiries in response to The 7 Non-Negotiables of Winning: Tying Soft Traits to Hard Results from individuals who have Read more on this news related to 'Taught'
- Biden: Mandela taught reconciliation is possible
WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Joe Biden says former South African President Nelson Mandela taught the world that trust, justice and reconciliation are possible, and that change can come. Read more on this news related to 'Taught'