Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tamil'
Tamil Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : of or relating to a speaker of the Tamil language or the
language itself; "the Tamil Tigers are fighting the
Sinhalese in Sri Lanka"; "Tamil agglutinative phrases"
- a member of the mixed Dravidian and Caucasoid people of southern India and Sri Lanka
- the Dravidian language spoken since prehistoric times by the Tamil people in southern India and Sri Lanka
- Tamil \Ta"mil\, a.
Of or pertaining to the Tamils, or to their language.
[Written also Tamul.]
- Tamil \Ta"mil\, n. [Written also Tamul.]
- (Ethnol.) One of a Dravidian race of men native of Northern Ceylon and Southern India.
- The Tamil language, the most important of the Dravidian languages. See Dravidian, a.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tamil'
- Tamil: Tamil may refer to: Tamil language , one of the Dravidian languages primarily spoken in South Asia and South East Asia. Tamil script , ...
- Tamil language: Tamil. (lang ta | indic தமிழ் | trans tamiḻ | indicipa t̪ɐmɨɻ | indicaudio Tamil. ogg | showlang false | showhelp true ...
- Tamil people: Tamil people. (lang ta | indic தமிழர் | trans tamiḻar also called Tamils or Tamilians, are a linguistic and ethnic group native to Tamil ...
- Tamil cinema: Tamil cinema (Tamil : தமிழ் சினிமா, also referred to as the cinema of Tamil Nadu, the Tamil film industry, or Chennai film industry) is the ...
- Sri Lankan Tamil people: Sri Lankan Tamil people. (lang ta | indic ஈழத் தமிழர் | trans īḻat tamiḻar or Ceylon Tamils, or Eelam Tamils, are a section of Tamil people ...
- Tamil Nadu: Tamil Nadu. (தமிழ் நாடு, t̪ɐmɨɻ n̪aːɽɯ | pron | Tamil_Nadu. ogg. is one of the 28 states of India. ...
- Tamil literature: Tamil literature. (தமிழ் இலக்கியம் refers to the literature in the Tamil language . Tamil literature has a rich and long literary tradition ...
- Tamil calendar: ...ar]] largely used for official purposes both within and outside India. The Tamil calendar is based on the classical [[Hindu calendar|Hindu solar calendar]] ...a Mesha Sankranti'' (Sun's transition into ''nirayana'' Aries). Hence, the Tamil calendar begins on the same date in April which is observed by most traditi
- Tamil script: The Tamil script (தமிழ் அரிச்சுவடி ta | ISO | tamiḻ ariccuvaṭi "Tamil alphabet") is a script that is used to write the Tamil language as ...
- Tamil Eelam: Tamil Eelam. (தமிழீழம், tamiḻ īḻam. generally rendered outside Tamil-speaking areas as தமிழ் ஈழம் ...
Words and phrases related to 'Tamil'
Tamil Sample Sentences in News
- India’s Tamil Nadu Sets Solar Tariff as Program Stalls
The electricity regulator for India’s Tamil Nadu set a price for solar-power producers after failing for the past two years to attract investments to a state that gets about 300 days of sun a year. Read more on this news related to 'Tamil'
- Sri Lanka: SL military begins deceptive recruitment drive in East
Inviting poverty-stricken Tamil families along the district border between the Ampaarai district and Batticaloa district to receive humanitarian supplies, the occupying Sri Lanka Army has been conducting propaganda meetings promising civil jobs for Tamil women in the SL military, news sources in Ampaarai told TamilNet on Thursday. A group of Sri Lanka Army soldier Read more on this news related to 'Tamil'
- Jayalalithaa Protests 'Teach Hindi' Order for Colleges
Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa has said her state will not comply with the University Grants Commission or UGC order that Hindi be taught as a main subject along with English in all colleges... Read more on this news related to 'Tamil'