Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tamil'
Tamil Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : of or relating to a speaker of the Tamil language or the
language itself; "the Tamil Tigers are fighting the
Sinhalese in Sri Lanka"; "Tamil agglutinative phrases"
- a member of the mixed Dravidian and Caucasoid people of southern India and Sri Lanka
- the Dravidian language spoken since prehistoric times by the Tamil people in southern India and Sri Lanka
- Tamil \Ta"mil\, a.
Of or pertaining to the Tamils, or to their language.
[Written also Tamul.]
- Tamil \Ta"mil\, n. [Written also Tamul.]
- (Ethnol.) One of a Dravidian race of men native of Northern Ceylon and Southern India.
- The Tamil language, the most important of the Dravidian languages. See Dravidian, a.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tamil'
- Tamil: Tamil may refer to: Tamil language , one of the Dravidian languages primarily spoken in South Asia and South East Asia. Tamil script , ...
- Tamil language: Tamil. (lang ta | indic தமிழ் | trans tamiḻ | indicipa t̪ɐmɨɻ | indicaudio Tamil. ogg | showlang false | showhelp true ...
- Tamil people: Tamil people. (lang ta | indic தமிழர் | trans tamiḻar also called Tamils or Tamilians, are a linguistic and ethnic group native to Tamil ...
- Tamil cinema: Tamil cinema (Tamil : தமிழ் சினிமா, also referred to as the cinema of Tamil Nadu, the Tamil film industry, or Chennai film industry) is the ...
- Sri Lankan Tamil people: Sri Lankan Tamil people. (lang ta | indic ஈழத் தமிழர் | trans īḻat tamiḻar or Ceylon Tamils, or Eelam Tamils, are a section of Tamil people ...
- Tamil Nadu: Tamil Nadu. (தமிழ் நாடு, t̪ɐmɨɻ n̪aːɽɯ | pron | Tamil_Nadu. ogg. is one of the 28 states of India. ...
- Tamil literature: Tamil literature. (தமிழ் இலக்கியம் refers to the literature in the Tamil language . Tamil literature has a rich and long literary tradition ...
- Tamil calendar: ...ar]] largely used for official purposes both within and outside India. The Tamil calendar is based on the classical [[Hindu calendar|Hindu solar calendar]] ...a Mesha Sankranti'' (Sun's transition into ''nirayana'' Aries). Hence, the Tamil calendar begins on the same date in April which is observed by most traditi
- Tamil script: The Tamil script (தமிழ் அரிச்சுவடி ta | ISO | tamiḻ ariccuvaṭi "Tamil alphabet") is a script that is used to write the Tamil language as ...
- Tamil Eelam: Tamil Eelam. (தமிழீழம், tamiḻ īḻam. generally rendered outside Tamil-speaking areas as தமிழ் ஈழம் ...
Words and phrases related to 'Tamil'
Tamil Sample Sentences in News
- Friendless Congress faces rout in Tamil Nadu
Chennai, March 7 (IANS) Seemingly friendless in Tamil Nadu to fight the general election, Congress leaders do not agree that the party is politically isolated in the state as of now. Declining to name the parties with which the Congress high command is holding parlays - DMDK or PMK -Gnanadesikan said only one possible ally (DMK) has concluded a pre-poll alliance i Read more on this news related to 'Tamil'
- Oust UPA to help Tamil Nadu prosper: Jayalalithaa
Nagercoil (Tamil Nadu), March 9 (IANS) The Congress-led UPA must be defeated in the Lok Sabha election if Tamil Nadu is to become the "numero uno" state in India, Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa said Sunday. Campaigning for AIADMK candidate D. John Thangam in Kanyakumari, around 700 km from Chennai, Jayalalithaa said: "If Tamil Nadu has to be numero Read more on this news related to 'Tamil'
- Tamil Nadu flayed over Rajiv Gandhi case
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) The centre Thursday told the Supreme Court that the Tamil Nadu government's decision to grant remission of sentence to the convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case was selective and in derogation of the rights of the victims. The centre told the apex court bench of Chief Justice P. Sathasivam, Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice N Read more on this news related to 'Tamil'