Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tall'
- great in vertical dimension; high in stature; "tall people"; "tall buildings"; "tall trees"; "tall ships" [ant: short]
- lofty in style; "he engages in so much tall talk, one never really realizes what he is saying" [syn: grandiloquent, magniloquent]
- impressively difficult; "a tall order" [syn: tall(a)]
- too improbable to admit of belief; "a tall story" [syn: improbable, marvelous, marvellous, tall(a)]
- Tall \Tall\, a. [Compar. Taller; superl. Tallest.] [OE. tal
seemly, elegant, docile (?); of uncertain origin; cf. AS.
un-tala, un-tale, bad, Goth. untals indocile, disobedient,
uninstructed, or W. & Corn. tal high, Ir. talla meet, fit,
- High in stature; having a considerable, or an unusual, extension upward; long and comparatively slender; having the diameter or lateral extent small in proportion to the height; as, a tall person, tree, or mast. Two of far nobler shape, erect and tall. --Milton.
- Brave; bold; courageous. [Obs.] As tall a trencherman As e'er demolished a pye fortification. --Massinger. His companions, being almost in despair of victory, were suddenly recomforted by Sir William Stanley, which came to succors with three thousand tall men. --Grafton.
- Fine; splendid; excellent; also, extravagant; excessive. [Obs. or Slang] --B. Jonson. Syn: High; lofty. Usage: Tall, High, Lofty. High is the generic term, and is applied to anything which is elevated or raised above another thing. Tall specifically describes that which has a small diameter in proportion to its height; hence, we speak of a tall man, a tall steeple, a tall mast, etc., but not of a tall hill. Lofty has a special reference to the expanse above us, and denotes an imposing height; as, a lofty mountain; a lofty room. Tall is now properly applied only to physical objects; high and lofty have a moral acceptation; as, high thought, purpose, etc.; lofty aspirations; a lofty genius. Lofty is the stronger word, and is
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tall'
Human height is the distance from the bottom of the feet to the top of the head in a human body standing erect.
When populations share genetic background and environmental factors, average height is frequently characteristic within the group. Exceptional height variation (around 20% deviation from average) within such a population is usually due to gigantism or dwarfism; which are medical conditions due to specific genes or to endocrine abnormalities.
In regions of extreme poverty or prolonged warfare, environmental factors like malnutrition during childhood or adolescence may account for marked reductions in adult stature even without the presence of any of these medical conditions.
The average height for each sex within a population is significantly different, with men being (on average) taller than women. Women ordinarily reach their greatest height at a younger age than men, because puberty generally occurs earlier in women than in men. Vertical growth stops when the long bones stop lengthening, which occurs with the closure of epiphyseal plates. These plates are bone growth centers that disappear ("close") under the hormonal surges brought about by the completion of puberty. Adult height for one sex in a particular ethnic group follows more or less a normal distribution.[See more about Tall at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Tall'
'Tall' in famous quotation sentence
* Ricky See thats what I'm talking about bobby, first class. You've got to get used to this my man, you deserve it. Hey ladies, you missed out on staying at the SoHo Grand on this trip you know what I mean. Listen, I'd offer you a ride in my limo, but I got to stretch my shit out. I'm a tall drink of water, don't want to wrinkle anything. - Made
* It matters not how tall you are, but how straight you grow. - Kelly Marshall
Click here for more related quotations on 'Tall'
Tall Sample Sentences in News
- Bangkok 'not ready' for super-tall skyscrapers
There has been a rapid development of super-tall buildings in Asia in the past 10 years after the economic boom in China and other key markets. The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat defines "super-tall building" as one higher than 300 metres, whereas a "tall building" is more than 150 metres high. Read more on this news related to 'Tall'
- Tall ships, Navy vessels begin shipping out
All of the tall ships and international vessels are streaming out of Baltimore's Inner Harbor as the weeklong Star-Spangled Spectacular comes to an end. Read more on this news related to 'Tall'
- Legs up to your armpits but can't find cool clothes? Check out the label for tall girls, worn by supermodel Jourdan Dunn
The 18-piece collection may be out next week but Jourdan Dunn has been given first dibs on the range. Read more on this news related to 'Tall'