Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Take'
- the income arising from land or other property; "the average return was about 5%" [syn: return, issue, proceeds, takings, yield, payoff]
- the act of photographing a scene or part of a scene without interruption v
- carry out; "take action"; "take steps"; "take vengeance"
- as of time or space; "It took three hours to get to work this morning"; "This event occupied a very short time" [syn: occupy, use up]
- take somebody somewhere; "We lead him to our chief"; "can you take me to the main entrance?"; "He conducted us to the palace" [syn: lead, direct, conduct, guide]
- get into one's hands, take physically; "Take a cookie!"; "Can you take this bag, please" [syn: get hold of]
- take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone"; "The story took a new turn"; "he adopted an air of superiority"; "She assumed strange manners"; "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables" [syn: assume, acquire, adopt, take on]
- interpret something in a certain way; convey a particular meaning or impression; "I read this address as a satire"; "How should I take this message?"; "You can't take credit for this!" [syn: read]
- take something or somebody with oneself somewhere; "Bring me the box from the other room"; "Take these letters to the boss"; "This brings me to the main point" [syn: bring, convey]
- take into one's possession; "We are taking an orphan from Romania"; "I'll take three salmon steaks" [ant: give]
- require as useful, just, or proper; "It takes nerve to do what she did"; "success usually requires hard work"; "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"; "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"; "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"; "This intervention does not
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Take'
A take is a single continuous recorded performance. The term is used in film and music to denote and track the stages of production.
In cinematography, a take refers to each filmed "version" of a particular shot or "setup". Takes of each shot are generally numbered starting with "take one" and the number of each successive take is increased (with the director calling for "take two" or "take eighteen") until the filming of the shot is completed.
A one-take occurs when the entire scene is shot satisfactorily the first time, whether by necessity (as with certain expensive special effects) or by happy accident.
Film takes are often designated with the aid of a clapperboard. It is also referred to as the slate. The number of each take is written or attached to the clapboard, which is filmed briefly prior to or at the beginning of the actual take. Only takes which are vetted by the continuity person and/or script supervisor are printed and are sent to the film editor.[See more about Take at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Take'
'Take' in famous quotation sentence
* It is not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left. - Hubert Humphrey
* The hardest job for a politician today is to have the courage to be a moderate. It's easy to take an extreme position. - Hubert Humphrey
Click here for more related quotations on 'Take'
Take Sample Sentences in News
- How Many Doctors Does it Take?
We all know the joke, or perhaps it barely qualifies as a riddle: How many "___________" does it take to screw in a light bulb? The more side effects and complications people experience, the sicker they get, and the more treatment they need. Read more on this news related to 'Take'
- As U.S. kicks off crude exports, Iran casts a shadow in Asia
* South Korea, Japan refiners to take first two U.S. cargoes * Iran condensate exports to China made at deep discounts * China, India unlikely to buy due to high freight costs, alternatives SINGAPORE, July 28 (Reuters) - The United States faces an awkward rival in its first attempts in 40 years to export crude oil - Iran. Read more on this news related to 'Take'
- How First Take Poisoned ESPN
This is exactly what First Take was designed to do. That's not hyperbole. First Take 's reason for existence is to reduce every subject, from the incredibly complex to the totally uncontroversial, down to a binary issue that can be debated. Is Tim Tebow a good quarterback? Is LeBron clutch? Should Ray Rice have knocked the shit out of his fiancée? Read mo Read more on this news related to 'Take'