Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Synoptic'
Synoptic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- presenting a summary or general view of a whole; "a synoptic presentation of a physical theory"
- presenting or taking the same point of view; used especially of the first three gospels of the New Testament; "the synoptic Gospels" [syn: synoptical]
- Synoptic \Syn*op"tic\, n.
One of the first three Gospels of the New Testament. See
- Synoptic \Syn*op"tic\, Synoptical \Syn*op"tic*al\, a. [Gr. ?:
cf. F. synoptique. See Synopsis.]
Affording a general view of the whole, or of the principal
parts of a thing; as, a synoptic table; a synoptical
statement of an argument. ``The synoptic Gospels.'' --Alford.
-- Syn*op"tic*al*ly, adv.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Synoptic'
- Synoptic: Synoptic is derived from the Greek words σύν (syn "together") and ὄψις (opsis "view"), and describes observations that give a broad view of ...
- Synoptic Gospels: The gospels of Matthew , Mark , and Luke are known as the Synoptic Gospels because they include many of the same stories, often in the ...
- Synoptic scale meteorology: The synoptic scale in meteorology (also known as large scale or cyclonic scale) is a horizontal length scale of the order of 1000 ...
- Synoptics: Synoptics may refer to: Synoptic Gospels , accounts of the life or teachings of Jesus. SynOptics , an ethernet vendor company. Synoptic chart ...
- SynOptics: SynOptics Communications was a Santa Clara, California -based early Ethernet vendor founded in 1985 by Andrew K. Ludwick and Ronald V. ...
- Synoptic philosophy: Synoptic philosophy comes from the Greek word συνοπτικός sunoptikos (“seeing everything together”) and together with the word philosophy , ...
- Large Synoptic Survey Telescope: The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) is a planned wide-field "survey" reflecting telescope that will photograph the available sky ...
- Norwegian synoptics: The Norwegian synoptics are three of the earliest kings' sagas . They give brief overviews of the history of Norway from legendary times ...
- Jerusalem School of Synoptic Research: The Jerusalem School of Synoptic Research is a consortium of Jewish and Christian scholars that study the Synoptic Gospels in light of the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Synoptic'
Synoptic Sample Sentences in News
- Large Synoptic Survey Telescope Receives Funding To Begin Construction
National Science Foundation Construction of the highly anticipated Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) can begin now that the National Science Foundation (NSF) has finalized funding. To be located in Chile, LSST is a proposed 8-meter wide-field survey telescope that will image the entire visible sky approximately twice per week, providing an unprecedented amoun Read more on this news related to 'Synoptic'
- UA optics at heart of telescope poised to catch the action in the universe
The National Science Foundation agreed on Friday to fund the construction of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope project, the first observatory capable of scanning large swaths of night sky very quickly and capture exploding stars, passing asteroids and other highly variable, dynamic or short-lived phenomena in the universe. Read more on this news related to 'Synoptic'
- Support from NSF to Start Building Large Synoptic Survey Telescope
The National Science Foundation (NSF) agreed on Friday to support the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) to manage the construction of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST). This marks the official federal start of the LSST project, the top-ranked major ground-based facility recommended by the National Research Council’s Astronomy Read more on this news related to 'Synoptic'