Symbolic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- serving as a visible symbol for something abstract; "a crown is emblematic of royalty"; "the spinning wheel was as symbolic of colonical Massachusetts as the codfish"
- relating to or using or proceeding by means of symbols; "symbolic logic"; "symbolic operations"; "symbolic thinking"
- using symbolism; "symbolic art"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Symbolic'?
Symbolic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A symbol is a drawing, shape, or object that represents an idea, object, or amount of something.
The most common symbols are letters, which are symbols of words and sounds. A symbol can be an actual object (such as the cross, a symbol of Christianity or a scepter, a symbol of royalty and power), or a certain color or pattern. Symbols are used often in poetry and other types of literature, most often used as metaphors or similes.
A national emblem is a symbol for a certain country.
There are thousands of symbols that are recognized by most people all over the world, and many more that are limited to certain regions, religions, sciences, etc.. Some of the best known ones are listed below.
Words and phrases related to 'Symbolic'
'Symbolic' example sentence in quotations
* The book is here to stay. What we're doing is symbolic of the peaceful coexistence of the book and the computer. - Vartan Gregorian
Click here for more related quotations on 'Symbolic'
Symbolic Sample Sentences in News
- MILF ‘symbolic’ decommissioning in Feb.
The symbolic decommissioning of 75 small and high-powered weapons and 145 combatants of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has been set tentatively in February.Mohagher Iqbal, chairman of the group's peace panel, relayed this in an interview yesterday, saying the final schedule depends on the readiness of the International Decommissioning Body (IDB).Iqba Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'
- Climate crisis
The symbolic doomsday clock moved to three minutes before midnight on Thursday because of the gathering dangers of climate change and nuclear proliferation, signalling the gravest threat to humanity since the throes of the cold war. Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'
- Islamic State group losing ground in symbolic Kobani battle
BEIRUT (AP) — With more than a thousand militants killed and territory slipping away, the Islamic State group is losing its grip on the Syrian border town of Kobani under intense U.S.-led airstrikes a Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'