Symbolic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- serving as a visible symbol for something abstract; "a crown is emblematic of royalty"; "the spinning wheel was as symbolic of colonical Massachusetts as the codfish"
- relating to or using or proceeding by means of symbols; "symbolic logic"; "symbolic operations"; "symbolic thinking"
- using symbolism; "symbolic art"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Symbolic'?
Symbolic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A symbol is a drawing, shape, or object that represents an idea, object, or amount of something.
The most common symbols are letters, which are symbols of words and sounds. A symbol can be an actual object (such as the cross, a symbol of Christianity or a scepter, a symbol of royalty and power), or a certain color or pattern. Symbols are used often in poetry and other types of literature, most often used as metaphors or similes.
A national emblem is a symbol for a certain country.
There are thousands of symbols that are recognized by most people all over the world, and many more that are limited to certain regions, religions, sciences, etc.. Some of the best known ones are listed below.
Words and phrases related to 'Symbolic'
'Symbolic' example sentence in quotations
* The book is here to stay. What we're doing is symbolic of the peaceful coexistence of the book and the computer. - Vartan Gregorian
Click here for more related quotations on 'Symbolic'
Symbolic Sample Sentences in News
- US welcomes Poroshenko for symbolic visit
Washington (AFP) - The United States welcomed Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko Thursday on a visit ringing with symbolism, which nevertheless underlined the limits of Western support for Kiev in its showdown with Russia. Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'
- Are NATO and Russia setting the fuse for a hot war?
As NATO moves to install a symbolic "rapid deployment" force near Russia's border and the Kremlin plans to rewrite its official military policy to explicitly define NATO as an adversary, the potential for a wider war may be looming. President Barack Obama on Wednesday visited Estonia, a tiny Baltic member of NATO whose population is one-third ethnic Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'
- R&A decision to admit women is hailed as symbolic moment for sport
Historic decision goes through on 85% majority of votes cast 15 female figures in golf will be fast-tracked into membership Ewan Murray: R&A dragged into 21st century by yes vote The historic and long overdue decision to allow women to become members of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews has been welcomed by campaigners, golfers and politicians. Many said Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'