Symbolic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- serving as a visible symbol for something abstract; "a crown is emblematic of royalty"; "the spinning wheel was as symbolic of colonical Massachusetts as the codfish"
- relating to or using or proceeding by means of symbols; "symbolic logic"; "symbolic operations"; "symbolic thinking"
- using symbolism; "symbolic art"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Symbolic'?
Symbolic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A symbol is a drawing, shape, or object that represents an idea, object, or amount of something.
The most common symbols are letters, which are symbols of words and sounds. A symbol can be an actual object (such as the cross, a symbol of Christianity or a scepter, a symbol of royalty and power), or a certain color or pattern. Symbols are used often in poetry and other types of literature, most often used as metaphors or similes.
A national emblem is a symbol for a certain country.
There are thousands of symbols that are recognized by most people all over the world, and many more that are limited to certain regions, religions, sciences, etc.. Some of the best known ones are listed below.
Words and phrases related to 'Symbolic'
'Symbolic' example sentence in quotations
* The book is here to stay. What we're doing is symbolic of the peaceful coexistence of the book and the computer. - Vartan Gregorian
Click here for more related quotations on 'Symbolic'
Symbolic Sample Sentences in News
- Eiffel Tower goes dark in symbolic move for Earth Hour
PARIS (AP) — The Eiffel Tower went dark briefly to mark Earth Hour, the campaign to raise awareness about climate change. Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'
- Constitutional recognition not just symbolic
The move to recognise Aboriginal people in the preamble of the WA Constitution is a symbolic act which will have little or no impact on the everyday lives of most West Australians. Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'
- RAW: Earth Hour symbolic outage rolls through Winnipeg
Many of of Winnipeg's biggest buildings turned out their lights at 8:30 Saturday night as part of Earth Hour. Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'