Symbolic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- serving as a visible symbol for something abstract; "a crown is emblematic of royalty"; "the spinning wheel was as symbolic of colonical Massachusetts as the codfish"
- relating to or using or proceeding by means of symbols; "symbolic logic"; "symbolic operations"; "symbolic thinking"
- using symbolism; "symbolic art"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Symbolic'?
Symbolic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A symbol is a drawing, shape, or object that represents an idea, object, or amount of something.
The most common symbols are letters, which are symbols of words and sounds. A symbol can be an actual object (such as the cross, a symbol of Christianity or a scepter, a symbol of royalty and power), or a certain color or pattern. Symbols are used often in poetry and other types of literature, most often used as metaphors or similes.
A national emblem is a symbol for a certain country.
There are thousands of symbols that are recognized by most people all over the world, and many more that are limited to certain regions, religions, sciences, etc.. Some of the best known ones are listed below.
Words and phrases related to 'Symbolic'
'Symbolic' example sentence in quotations
* The book is here to stay. What we're doing is symbolic of the peaceful coexistence of the book and the computer. - Vartan Gregorian
Click here for more related quotations on 'Symbolic'
Symbolic Sample Sentences in News
- Catalan independence hopes high after symbolic vote on split from Spain
By Inmaculada Sanz BARCELONA (Reuters) - Millions of Catalans voted on Sunday in a symbolic referendum on independence from Spain that supporters hope will propel the issue further despite opposition from Madrid. The "consultation of citizens" in the wealthy northeastern region follows a legal block by the central government against a more formal, albeit Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'
- In Spain's Catalonia, dialogue may follow symbolic independence vote
Catalans are expected to turn out in droves on Sunday to make their strongest show of force to date for breaking away from the rest of Spain in a symbolic independence referendum. Secessionist-minded politicians helped by cultural organisations and thousands of volunteers organised the informal vote after Spain's High Court issued an injunction preventing a fo Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'
- Catalans push on for independence after symbolic vote
Catalonia's nationalist government prepared Monday to step up its secession drive after more than two million people voted in a symbolic independence referendum which Spain's central government dismissed as "useless". The head of the Catalan regional government Artur Mas called Sunday's vote, which was ordered blocked by the constitutional co Read more on this news related to 'Symbolic'