Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sycamore'
Sycamore Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- variably colored and sometimes variegated hard tough elastic wood of a sycamore tree [syn: lacewood]
- any of several trees of the genus Platanus having thin pale bark that scales off in small plates and lobed leaves and ball-shaped heads of fruits [syn: plane tree, platan]
- Eurasian maple tree with pale gray bark that peels in flakes like that of a sycamore tree; leaves with five ovate lobes yellow in autumn [syn: great maple, scottish maple, Acer pseudoplatanus}]
- thick-branched wide-spreading tree of Africa and adjacent southwestern Asia often buttressed with branches rising from near the ground; produces cluster of edible but inferior figs on short leafless twigs; the Biblical sycamore [syn: sycamore fig, mulberry fig, Ficus sycomorus}]
- Plane \Plane\, n. [F., fr. L. platanus, Gr. ?, fr. ? broad; --
so called on account of its broad leaves and spreading form.
See Place, and cf. Platane, Plantain the tree.] (Bot.)
Any tree of the genus Platanus.
Note: The Oriental plane (Platanus orientalis) is a native
of Asia. It rises with a straight, smooth, branching
stem to a great height, with palmated leaves, and long
pendulous peduncles, sustaining several heads of small
close-sitting flowers. The seeds are downy, and
collected into round, rough, hard balls. The Occidental
plane (Platanus occidentalis), which grows to a great
height, is a native of North America, where it is
popularly called sycamore, buttonwood, and
buttonball, names also applied to the California
species (Platanus racemosa).
- Sycamore \Syc"a*more\, n. [L. sycomorus, Gr. ? the fig mulberry;
? a fig + ? the black mulberry; or perhaps of Semitic origin:
cf. F. sycomore. Cf. Mulberry.] (Bot.)
(a) A large tree (Ficus Sycomorus) allied to the common
fig. It is found in Egypt and Syria, and is the sycamore,
or sycamine, of Scripture.
(b) The American plane tree, or buttonwood.
(c) A large European species of maple (Acer
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sycamore'
- Sycamore: Sycamore is a name which is applied at various times and places to three very different types of trees, but with somewhat similar leaf ...
- Sycamore, Illinois: Sycamore is a city in DeKalb County , Illinois , United States . It has a commercial district based and centered on Illinois Route 64 . ...
- Indiana State Sycamores men's basketball: The Indiana State Sycamores basketball team is the NCAA Division I men's basketball program of Indiana State University in Terre Haute ...
- Bristol Sycamore: The Bristol Type 171 Sycamore was the first British -designed helicopter to fly and serve with the Royal Air Force . Created by the ...
- Sycamore, Ohio: Sycamore is a village in Wyandot County , Ohio , United States . The population was 914 at the 2000 census . Geography: Sycamore is located ...
- Sycamore Public Library: The Sycamore Public Library, in Sycamore, Illinois , was erected in 1905 in the former location of Mansion House, Sycamore's oldest ...
Words and phrases related to 'Sycamore'
Sycamore Sample Sentences in News
- Car show weekend turns back the clock – and calendar – in Sycamore
Downtown Sycamore's annual Turning Back Time Weekend, featuring a free family movie outdoors, a cruise night and a car show, will be July 25-27. Read more on this news related to 'Sycamore'
- "The Eye Of The Storm" Now Playing On Direct TV.
Hollywood -- Sycamore Entertainment Group, Inc. (OTC Pink: SEGI), a leading innovator in hybrid film distribution, is pleased to announce that "THE EYE OF THE STORM" is now playing on Direct ... Read more on this news related to 'Sycamore'
- Blumen Gardens part of Sycamore for 25 years
Joel Barczak and his wife, Joan (not pictured), owners of Blumen Gardens in Sycamore have been in business for 25 years. Read more on this news related to 'Sycamore'