Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sycamore'
Sycamore Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- variably colored and sometimes variegated hard tough elastic wood of a sycamore tree [syn: lacewood]
- any of several trees of the genus Platanus having thin pale bark that scales off in small plates and lobed leaves and ball-shaped heads of fruits [syn: plane tree, platan]
- Eurasian maple tree with pale gray bark that peels in flakes like that of a sycamore tree; leaves with five ovate lobes yellow in autumn [syn: great maple, scottish maple, Acer pseudoplatanus}]
- thick-branched wide-spreading tree of Africa and adjacent southwestern Asia often buttressed with branches rising from near the ground; produces cluster of edible but inferior figs on short leafless twigs; the Biblical sycamore [syn: sycamore fig, mulberry fig, Ficus sycomorus}]
- Plane \Plane\, n. [F., fr. L. platanus, Gr. ?, fr. ? broad; --
so called on account of its broad leaves and spreading form.
See Place, and cf. Platane, Plantain the tree.] (Bot.)
Any tree of the genus Platanus.
Note: The Oriental plane (Platanus orientalis) is a native
of Asia. It rises with a straight, smooth, branching
stem to a great height, with palmated leaves, and long
pendulous peduncles, sustaining several heads of small
close-sitting flowers. The seeds are downy, and
collected into round, rough, hard balls. The Occidental
plane (Platanus occidentalis), which grows to a great
height, is a native of North America, where it is
popularly called sycamore, buttonwood, and
buttonball, names also applied to the California
species (Platanus racemosa).
- Sycamore \Syc"a*more\, n. [L. sycomorus, Gr. ? the fig mulberry;
? a fig + ? the black mulberry; or perhaps of Semitic origin:
cf. F. sycomore. Cf. Mulberry.] (Bot.)
(a) A large tree (Ficus Sycomorus) allied to the common
fig. It is found in Egypt and Syria, and is the sycamore,
or sycamine, of Scripture.
(b) The American plane tree, or buttonwood.
(c) A large European species of maple (Acer
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sycamore'
- Sycamore: Sycamore is a name which is applied at various times and places to three very different types of trees, but with somewhat similar leaf ...
- Sycamore, Illinois: Sycamore is a city in DeKalb County , Illinois , United States . It has a commercial district based and centered on Illinois Route 64 . ...
- Indiana State Sycamores men's basketball: The Indiana State Sycamores basketball team is the NCAA Division I men's basketball program of Indiana State University in Terre Haute ...
- Bristol Sycamore: The Bristol Type 171 Sycamore was the first British -designed helicopter to fly and serve with the Royal Air Force . Created by the ...
- Sycamore, Ohio: Sycamore is a village in Wyandot County , Ohio , United States . The population was 914 at the 2000 census . Geography: Sycamore is located ...
- Sycamore Public Library: The Sycamore Public Library, in Sycamore, Illinois , was erected in 1905 in the former location of Mansion House, Sycamore's oldest ...
Words and phrases related to 'Sycamore'
Sycamore Sample Sentences in News
- Sycamore Street vision continues to unfold as new construction projects move forward in Newtown Township
NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP – Sycamore Street is busier than usual this summer, but it has nothing to do with traffic. Read more on this news related to 'Sycamore'
- Sycamore teacher charged with sexual assault
Leah Eames of DeKalb is free on $75,000 bond after being charged Wednesday with criminal sexual assault and aggravated criminal sexual abuse. Read more on this news related to 'Sycamore'
- Sycamore Shops Stuart Weitzman
NEW YORK (The Deal) -- Sycamore Partners, the New York-based private equity firm, is putting upscale footwear retailer Stuart Weitzmanaon the auction block, confirmed a source familiar with the matter. Reuters reported the potential sale earlier on Monday, August 18. Sycamore hired Goldman Sachsa aand Citigroup ato run the auction, the source confirmed. As the ban Read more on this news related to 'Sycamore'