Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Swarm'
- a moving crowd [syn: drove, horde]
- a group of many insects; "a swarm of insects obscured the light"; "a cloud of butterflies" [syn: cloud] v
- be teeming, be abuzz; "The garden was swarming with bees"; "The plaza is teeming with undercover policemen"; "her mind pullulated with worries" [syn: teem, pullulate]
- move in large numbers; "people were pouring out of the theater"; "beggars pullulated in the plaza" [syn: pour, stream, teem, pullulate]
- Swarm \Swarm\, v. t.
To crowd or throng. --Fanshawe.
- Swarm \Swarm\, v. i. [Cf. Swerve.]
To climb a tree, pole, or the like, by embracing it with the
arms and legs alternately. See Shin. [Colloq.]
At the top was placed a piece of money, as a prize for
those who could swarm up and seize it. --W. Coxe.
- Swarm \Swarm\, n. [OE. swarm, AS. swearm; akin to D. zwerm, G.
schwarm, OHG. swaram, Icel. svarmr a tumult, Sw. sv["a]rm a
swarm, Dan. sv[ae]rm, and G. schwirren to whiz, to buzz, Skr.
svar to sound, and perhaps to E. swear. [root]17
- Cf. Swerve, Swirl.]
- A large number or mass of small animals or insects, especially when in motion. ``A deadly swarm of hornets.'' --Milton.
- Especially, a great number of honeybees which emigrate from a hive at once, and seek new lodgings under the direction of a queen; a like body of bees settled permanently in a hive. ``A swarm of bees.'' --Chaucer.
- Hence, any great number or multitude, as of people in
motion, or sometimes of inanimate objects; as, a swarm of
Those prodigious swarms that had settled themselves
in every part of it [Italy]. --Addison.
Syn: Multitude; crowd; throng.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Swarm'
Swarm describes a behaviour of an aggregate of animals of similar size and body orientation, often moving en masse or migrating in the same direction. Swarming is a general term that can be applied to any animal that swarms. The term is applied particularly to insects, but can also be applied to birds, fish, various microorganisms such as bacteria, and people. The term flocking is usually used to refer to swarming behaviour in birds, while the terms shoaling or schooling are used to refer to swarming behaviour in fish. The swarm size is a major parameter of a swarm.
The simplest mathematical models of animal swarms generally represent individual animals as following three rules:
The Boids computer program, created by Craig Reynolds in 1986,, and the Self Propelled Particle model are both used to simulate swarm behaviour. Many current models use variations on these rules, often implementing them by means of concentric "zones" around each animal. In the zone of repulsion, very close to the animal, the focal animal will seek to distance itself from its neighbors to avoid collision. Slightly further away, in the zone of alignment, the focal animal will seek to align its direction of motion with its neighbors. In the outermost zone of attraction, which extends as far away from the focal animal as it is able to sense, the focal animal will seek to move towards a neighbor.[See more about Swarm at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Swarm'
'Swarm' in famous quotation sentence
* Just as bees will swarm about to protect their nest, so will I 'swarm about' to protect my nest of chocolate eggs. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
Click here for more related quotations on 'Swarm'
Swarm Sample Sentences in News
- Foursquare: Swarm Is Handling the Majority of Check-ins
Back in May, local recommendation and check-in app Foursquare decided that to survive and flourish, they were going to have to split apart. The company announced the launch of a new app called Swarm, one that would be tailored to … Read more on this news related to 'Swarm'
- Bug Swarm So Big It Shows Up On Radar
Anyone who’s easily creeped out by insects might want to skip this story. On Sunday, a massive swarm of mayflies exploded from the bottom of the Mississippi River and spread from the area near La Crosse, Wisconsin to breed. Yahoo! News reported that this year’s summer breeding season resulted in such an enormous spawn of Read more on this news related to 'Swarm'
- Minnesota Swarm to Host Lacrosse Camp on White Earth Nation Next Week
SAINT PAUL, Minn. - The National Lacrosse League's (NLL) Minnesota Swarm is proud to announce that it will host a four-day lacrosse camp in partnership with White Earth Nation from July 28-31 on the White Earth Reservation in Northern Minnesota. Read more on this news related to 'Swarm'