Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Swarm'
- a moving crowd [syn: drove, horde]
- a group of many insects; "a swarm of insects obscured the light"; "a cloud of butterflies" [syn: cloud] v
- be teeming, be abuzz; "The garden was swarming with bees"; "The plaza is teeming with undercover policemen"; "her mind pullulated with worries" [syn: teem, pullulate]
- move in large numbers; "people were pouring out of the theater"; "beggars pullulated in the plaza" [syn: pour, stream, teem, pullulate]
- Swarm \Swarm\, v. t.
To crowd or throng. --Fanshawe.
- Swarm \Swarm\, v. i. [Cf. Swerve.]
To climb a tree, pole, or the like, by embracing it with the
arms and legs alternately. See Shin. [Colloq.]
At the top was placed a piece of money, as a prize for
those who could swarm up and seize it. --W. Coxe.
- Swarm \Swarm\, n. [OE. swarm, AS. swearm; akin to D. zwerm, G.
schwarm, OHG. swaram, Icel. svarmr a tumult, Sw. sv["a]rm a
swarm, Dan. sv[ae]rm, and G. schwirren to whiz, to buzz, Skr.
svar to sound, and perhaps to E. swear. [root]17
- Cf. Swerve, Swirl.]
- A large number or mass of small animals or insects, especially when in motion. ``A deadly swarm of hornets.'' --Milton.
- Especially, a great number of honeybees which emigrate from a hive at once, and seek new lodgings under the direction of a queen; a like body of bees settled permanently in a hive. ``A swarm of bees.'' --Chaucer.
- Hence, any great number or multitude, as of people in
motion, or sometimes of inanimate objects; as, a swarm of
Those prodigious swarms that had settled themselves
in every part of it [Italy]. --Addison.
Syn: Multitude; crowd; throng.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Swarm'
Swarm describes a behaviour of an aggregate of animals of similar size and body orientation, often moving en masse or migrating in the same direction. Swarming is a general term that can be applied to any animal that swarms. The term is applied particularly to insects, but can also be applied to birds, fish, various microorganisms such as bacteria, and people. The term flocking is usually used to refer to swarming behaviour in birds, while the terms shoaling or schooling are used to refer to swarming behaviour in fish. The swarm size is a major parameter of a swarm.
The simplest mathematical models of animal swarms generally represent individual animals as following three rules:
The Boids computer program, created by Craig Reynolds in 1986,, and the Self Propelled Particle model are both used to simulate swarm behaviour. Many current models use variations on these rules, often implementing them by means of concentric "zones" around each animal. In the zone of repulsion, very close to the animal, the focal animal will seek to distance itself from its neighbors to avoid collision. Slightly further away, in the zone of alignment, the focal animal will seek to align its direction of motion with its neighbors. In the outermost zone of attraction, which extends as far away from the focal animal as it is able to sense, the focal animal will seek to move towards a neighbor.[See more about Swarm at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Swarm'
'Swarm' in famous quotation sentence
* Just as bees will swarm about to protect their nest, so will I 'swarm about' to protect my nest of chocolate eggs. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
Click here for more related quotations on 'Swarm'
Swarm Sample Sentences in News
- Minnesota Swarm Prevail in Wild Fashion against Rochester
ROCHESTER, NY - With 1.3 seconds left in the game, forward Scott Jones stole the show in front of a full house in Rochester, as the rookie sniped in the game-winning goal to give the Swarm a 16-15 preseason victory against the Knighthawks Saturday evening. Read more on this news related to 'Swarm'
- Minnesota Swarm Prepare for Busy Weekend
SAINT PAUL, Minn. - Across the NLL, the start of training camp is often a time for players to get acclimated to each other. It provides an opportunity for coaches to get a gauge on what talent they have and new players to get a feel for what life in the NLL is all about. Read more on this news related to 'Swarm'
- Successful Launch of the Swarm Constellation Carrying Canadian Science and Technology
The Canadian Space Agency is proud to announce the successful launch of Swarm - the European Space Agency's first constellation of Earth Observation satellites. Lift off took place at 7:02 a.m. from the ... Read more on this news related to 'Swarm'