Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Swallow'
- a small amount of liquid food; "a sup of ale" [syn: sup]
- the act of swallowing; "one swallow of the liquid was enough"; "he took a drink of his beer and smacked his lips" [syn: drink, deglutition]
- small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations v
- pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking; "Swallow the raw fish--it won't kill you!" [syn: get down}]
- engulf and destroy; "The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries"
- enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing; "The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter" [syn: immerse, swallow up, bury, eat up]
- utter indistinctly; "She swallowed the last words of her speech"
- take back what one has said; "He swallowed his words" [syn: take back, unsay, withdraw]
- keep from expressing; "I swallowed my anger and kept quiet"
- tolerate or accommodate oneself to; "I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions"; "I swallowed the insult"; "She has learned to live with her husband's little idiosyncracies" [syn: accept, live with]
- believe or accept without questioning or challenge; "Am I supposed to swallow that story?"
- Swallow \Swal"low\, n. [OE. swalowe, AS. swalewe, swealwe; akin
to D. zwaluw, OHG. swalawa, G. schwalbe, Icel. & Sw. svala,
- (Zo["o]l.) Any one of numerous species of passerine birds of the family Hirundinid[ae], especially one of those species in which the tail is deeply forked. They have long, pointed wings, and are noted for the swiftness and gracefulness of their flight. Note: The most common North American species are the barn swallow (see under Barn), the cliff, or eaves, swallow (see under Cliff), the white-bellied, or tree, swallow (Tachycineta bicolor), and the bank swallow (see under Bank). The common European swallow (Chelidon rustica), and the window swallow, or martin (Chelidon urbica), are familiar species.
- (Zo["o]l.) Any one of numerous species of swifts which
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Swallow'
19, see text.
The swallows and martins are a group of passerine birds in the family Hirundinidae which are characterised by their adaptation to aerial feeding. Swallow is used colloquially in Europe as a synonym for the Barn Swallow.
This family comprises two subfamilies: Pseudochelidoninae (the river martins of the genus Pseudochelidon) and Hirundininae (all other swallows and martins). Within the Hirundiniae, the name "martin" tends to be used for the squarer-tailed species, and the name "swallow" for the more fork-tailed species; however, there is no scientific distinction between these two groups. The family contains around 83 species in 19 genera.
The swallows have a cosmopolitan distribution across the world and breed on all the continents except Antarctica. It is believed that this family originated in Africa as hole-nesters; Africa still has the greatest diversity of species. They also occur on a number of oceanic islands. A number of European and North American species are long-distance migrants; by contrast, the West and South African swallows are non-migratory. A few species of swallow and martin are threatened with extinction by human activities, although other species have benefited from human changes to the environment and live around humans.[See more about Swallow at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Swallow'
'Swallow' in famous quotation sentence
* There's a period of life when we swallow a knowledge of ourselves and it becomes either good or sour inside. - Pearl Bailey
* We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip little by little at a truth we find bitter. - Denis Diderot
Click here for more related quotations on 'Swallow'
Swallow Sample Sentences in News
- Swallow continues to take giant strides
David Swallow knocks Bryce Gibbs out of the top four defenders, despite the latter posting 99 against the Demons. Read more on this news related to 'Swallow'
- Evidence left out of House report sheds light on Swallow scandal
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) – There are new developments in the investigation into former Utah Attorneys General John Swallow and Mark Shurtleff. A report by House investigators, not included in the final House report, looked into the relationship between Swallow, Shurtleff and businessman Jeremy Johnson. Read more on this news related to 'Swallow'
- Fact or Fiction? People Swallow 8 Spiders a Year While They Sleep
Should we worry about arachnids crawling into our mouths while we’re in dreamland? -- Read more on ScientificAmerican.com Read more on this news related to 'Swallow'