Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Swallow'
- a small amount of liquid food; "a sup of ale" [syn: sup]
- the act of swallowing; "one swallow of the liquid was enough"; "he took a drink of his beer and smacked his lips" [syn: drink, deglutition]
- small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations v
- pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking; "Swallow the raw fish--it won't kill you!" [syn: get down}]
- engulf and destroy; "The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries"
- enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing; "The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter" [syn: immerse, swallow up, bury, eat up]
- utter indistinctly; "She swallowed the last words of her speech"
- take back what one has said; "He swallowed his words" [syn: take back, unsay, withdraw]
- keep from expressing; "I swallowed my anger and kept quiet"
- tolerate or accommodate oneself to; "I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions"; "I swallowed the insult"; "She has learned to live with her husband's little idiosyncracies" [syn: accept, live with]
- believe or accept without questioning or challenge; "Am I supposed to swallow that story?"
- Swallow \Swal"low\, n. [OE. swalowe, AS. swalewe, swealwe; akin
to D. zwaluw, OHG. swalawa, G. schwalbe, Icel. & Sw. svala,
- (Zo["o]l.) Any one of numerous species of passerine birds of the family Hirundinid[ae], especially one of those species in which the tail is deeply forked. They have long, pointed wings, and are noted for the swiftness and gracefulness of their flight. Note: The most common North American species are the barn swallow (see under Barn), the cliff, or eaves, swallow (see under Cliff), the white-bellied, or tree, swallow (Tachycineta bicolor), and the bank swallow (see under Bank). The common European swallow (Chelidon rustica), and the window swallow, or martin (Chelidon urbica), are familiar species.
- (Zo["o]l.) Any one of numerous species of swifts which
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Swallow'
19, see text.
The swallows and martins are a group of passerine birds in the family Hirundinidae which are characterised by their adaptation to aerial feeding. Swallow is used colloquially in Europe as a synonym for the Barn Swallow.
This family comprises two subfamilies: Pseudochelidoninae (the river martins of the genus Pseudochelidon) and Hirundininae (all other swallows and martins). Within the Hirundiniae, the name "martin" tends to be used for the squarer-tailed species, and the name "swallow" for the more fork-tailed species; however, there is no scientific distinction between these two groups. The family contains around 83 species in 19 genera.
The swallows have a cosmopolitan distribution across the world and breed on all the continents except Antarctica. It is believed that this family originated in Africa as hole-nesters; Africa still has the greatest diversity of species. They also occur on a number of oceanic islands. A number of European and North American species are long-distance migrants; by contrast, the West and South African swallows are non-migratory. A few species of swallow and martin are threatened with extinction by human activities, although other species have benefited from human changes to the environment and live around humans.[See more about Swallow at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Swallow'
'Swallow' in famous quotation sentence
* There's a period of life when we swallow a knowledge of ourselves and it becomes either good or sour inside. - Pearl Bailey
* We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip little by little at a truth we find bitter. - Denis Diderot
Click here for more related quotations on 'Swallow'
Swallow Sample Sentences in News
- Swallow donor charged federally with witness tampering
On Aug. 8, a man who organized an off-the-books campaign fundraiser in 2012 for former Utah Attorney General John Swallow was arrested on federal witness-tampering charges, along with three associates. Read more on this news related to 'Swallow'
- Man charged with witness intimidation has connections to Shurtleff, Swallow
SALT LAKE CITY — Robert Montgomery was already a felon twice over when he hosted two fundraisers for former Utah Attorney General John Swallow. Now he’s accused in federal court of trying to intimidate a witness in an official proceeding. Montgomery was convicted on a weapons charge in 2003, and on a charge called “Illegal […] Read more on this news related to 'Swallow'
- John Swallow mentioned during federal court assault case
During a federal court hearing Thursday that already was shaping up as bizarre, up popped a familiar name: John Swallow. But why not? The hearing involved Robert W. Montgomery, who in April 2012 held a fundraiser for Swallow's campaign to become atto... Read more on this news related to 'Swallow'