Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Surreptitious'
Surreptitious Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- marked by quiet and caution and secrecy; taking pains to avoid being observed; "a furtive manner"; "a lurking prowler"; "a sneak attack"; "stealthy footsteps"; "a surreptitious glance at his watch"; "someone skulking in the shadows" [syn: furtive, lurking, skulking, sneak(a), sneaky, stealthy]
- conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods; "clandestine intelligence operations"; "cloak-and-dagger activities behind enemy lines"; "hole-and-corner intrigue"; "secret missions"; "a secret agent"; "secret sales of arms"; "surreptitious mobilization of troops"; "an undercover investigation"; "underground resistance" [syn: clandestine, cloak-and-dagger, hole-and-corner(a), hugger-mugger, hush-hush, on the quiet(p), secret, undercover, underground]
- Surreptitious \Sur`rep*ti"tious\, a. [L. surreptitius, or
subreptitius, fr. surripere, subripere, to snatch away, to
withdraw privily; sub- under + rapere to snatch. See Sub-,
Done or made by stealth, or without proper authority; made or
introduced fraudulently; clandestine; stealthy; as, a
surreptitious passage in an old manuscript; a surreptitious
removal of goods. -- Sur`rep*ti"tious*ly, adv.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Surreptitious'
Words and phrases related to 'Surreptitious'
Surreptitious Sample Sentences in News
- Underground picnic targets 'Women Who Eat on Tubes' Facebook group
Feast on London train was in response to a Facebook 'art project' featuring surreptitious mobile phone photographs There was a carriage full of people eating happily, a scrum of camera crews, a dog called Figgy surreptitiously gathering fallen scraps, some bemused tourists and two police officers presumably in case the protest picnic turned nasty. Sarah Ha Read more on this news related to 'Surreptitious'
- Google doesn’t have ‘any plans to bring Google Fiber to New York’
It was too good to be true after all. Speaking with Ars Technica on Wednesday, a Google spokesperson made it clear that there are no plans to bring Google Fiber to the New York area at this time, despite a seemingly surreptitious job listing discovered earlier this week. “Don’t read into the job listing,” said the spokesperson. “We’ve had a full team of Read more on this news related to 'Surreptitious'
- Volokh Conspiracy: A citizen’s legal right to get a police officer fired for illegal surreptitious recording?
That's the law in Pennsylvania. Read more on this news related to 'Surreptitious'