Surrealism Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a 20th century movement of artists and writers (developing out of Dadaism) who used fantastic images and incongruous juxtapositions in order to represent unconscious thoughts and dreams
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a 20th century movement of artists and writers (developing out of dadaism) who used fantastic images and incongruous juxtapositions in order to represent unconscious thoughts and dreams
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Surrealism'?
Surrealism Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Surrealism was an art and cultural movement which began in 1920.
The name was invented in 1917. Guillaume Apollinaire wrote the program notes for the ballet Parade, which was created for the Ballets Russes of Serge Diaghilev. This was a collaborative work by Jean Cocteau, Erik Satie, Pablo Picasso and Léonide Massine. The program notes ran:
The movement grew out of Dadaism. This was, amid the horrors of World War I, a protest at the meaningless of civilised life.
At the same time the work of Sigmund Freud began to filter through, and affect the literary and art worlds. André Breton was trained in psychiatry, and during the war he worked in a hospital where he used Freud's methods on shell-shock patients. Not surprisingly, Breton influenced many writers and artists after the war.
Surrealism Sample Sentences in News
- “Surrealism and Magic” to Do at the Johnson
By MADELINE SALINAS Approaching the Johnson Museum to view the new “Surrealism and Magic” exhibition, I was immediately struck by the poster as I passed under the entrance, a mythical representation of a face with two symbols inscribed on the forehead and chin. As a viewer with minimal prior knowledge […] Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'
- Exhibition uses surrealism to convey themes of femininity, identity
Abject horror, dissociation and a general state of anxiety — these are some of the emotions elicited in “Grotesques,” an exhibition by Ellen Wetmore. Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'
- ‘The Boxtrolls’ has a demented charm
A spooky surrealism has been the specialty of the Oregon-based animation studio Laika, the Pacific Northwest purveyors of 3-D stop-motion. Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'