Surrealism Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a 20th century movement of artists and writers (developing out of Dadaism) who used fantastic images and incongruous juxtapositions in order to represent unconscious thoughts and dreams
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a 20th century movement of artists and writers (developing out of dadaism) who used fantastic images and incongruous juxtapositions in order to represent unconscious thoughts and dreams
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Surrealism'?
Surrealism Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Surrealism was an art and cultural movement which began in 1920.
The name was invented in 1917. Guillaume Apollinaire wrote the program notes for the ballet Parade, which was created for the Ballets Russes of Serge Diaghilev. This was a collaborative work by Jean Cocteau, Erik Satie, Pablo Picasso and Léonide Massine. The program notes ran:
The movement grew out of Dadaism. This was, amid the horrors of World War I, a protest at the meaningless of civilised life.
At the same time the work of Sigmund Freud began to filter through, and affect the literary and art worlds. André Breton was trained in psychiatry, and during the war he worked in a hospital where he used Freud's methods on shell-shock patients. Not surprisingly, Breton influenced many writers and artists after the war.
Surrealism Sample Sentences in News
- Eric Carle pays tribute to surrealism in his latest book
NEW YORK (AP) — Eric Carle would like to offer kids a very silly tribute to Surrealism. Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'
- Perfect nonsense: Latest Eric Carle book will be tribute to surrealism
Eric Carle would like to offer kids a very silly tribute to Surrealism. The 85-year-old author of the children's classic "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" has a new book out in October, titled "The Nonsense Show." According to Philomel, an imprint of Penguin Young Readers that announced the book Tuesday, Carle will combine verbal and visual jok Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'
- Eric Carle writes surrealist book
The Very Hungry Caterpillar author to release children's book about surrealism Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'