Surrealism Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a 20th century movement of artists and writers (developing out of Dadaism) who used fantastic images and incongruous juxtapositions in order to represent unconscious thoughts and dreams
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a 20th century movement of artists and writers (developing out of dadaism) who used fantastic images and incongruous juxtapositions in order to represent unconscious thoughts and dreams
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Surrealism'?
Surrealism Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Surrealism was an art and cultural movement which began in 1920.
The name was invented in 1917. Guillaume Apollinaire wrote the program notes for the ballet Parade, which was created for the Ballets Russes of Serge Diaghilev. This was a collaborative work by Jean Cocteau, Erik Satie, Pablo Picasso and Léonide Massine. The program notes ran:
The movement grew out of Dadaism. This was, amid the horrors of World War I, a protest at the meaningless of civilised life.
At the same time the work of Sigmund Freud began to filter through, and affect the literary and art worlds. André Breton was trained in psychiatry, and during the war he worked in a hospital where he used Freud's methods on shell-shock patients. Not surprisingly, Breton influenced many writers and artists after the war.
Surrealism Sample Sentences in News
- Surrealism Now Present at Palácio da Lousã, Portugal, Paris, France and in Los Angeles, California
COIMBRA, Portugal and PARIS, December 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Three art shows in three countries, USA, France and Portugal The internationalization of the International Surrealism Now is more than one ... Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'
- Great Success of Surrealism Now in Terms of International Recognition at Portuguese Palacio da Lousa, Paris and Los ...
COIMBRA, Portugal, Dec. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- International Surrealism Now is a project by the artist Santiago Ribeiro and began in 2010 in Coimbra organized by Bissaya Barreto Foundation. After in ... Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'
- Palacio da Lousa, Portugal, Paris, France and Los Angeles, California with Surrealism Now
LOUSA, Portugal, Dec. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- International Surrealism Now is a project by the surrealist painter Santiago Ribeiro and began in 2010 in Coimbra organized by Bissaya Barreto Foundation. ... Read more on this news related to 'Surrealism'