Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Surplus'
Surplus Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : more than is needed, desired, or required; "trying to lose
excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the
dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be
thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by
technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room";
"supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory
of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary)
words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary
internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the
needy" [syn: excess, extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory,
n : a quantity much larger than is needed [syn: excess, surplusage,
- Surplus \Sur"plus\, n. [F., fr. sur over + plus more. See
Sur-, and Plus, and cf. Superplus.]
- That which remains when use or need is satisfied, or when a limit is reached; excess; overplus.
- Specifically, an amount in the public treasury at any time greater than is required for the ordinary purposes of the government.
- Surplus \Sur"plus\, a.
Being or constituting a surplus; more than sufficient; as,
surplus revenues; surplus population; surplus words.
When the price of corn falleth, men give over surplus
tillage, and break no more ground. --Carew.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Surplus'
- Surplus: Surplus means when there is more supply than demand, as in extra resources. Surplus may refer to: " "The Surplus ", an episode of The Office ...
- Economic surplus: The term surplus is used in economics for several related quantities. The consumer surplus (sometimes named consumers' surplus) is the ...
- Military surplus: Military surplus are goods, usually matériel , that are sold or otherwise disposed of when no longer needed by the military . Entrepreneur s ...
- Surplus store: A surplus store sells items that are used, or purchased but unused, and no longer needed. The surplus is often military, government or ...
- Surplus: Terrorized into Being Consumers: Surplus: Terrorized Into Being Consumers is an award winning 2003 Swedish documentary film on consumerism and globalization , created by ...
- Surplus economics: Surplus economics is the study of economics based upon the concept that economies operate on the basis of the production of a surplus over ...
Words and phrases related to 'Surplus'
Surplus Sample Sentences in News
- $1 billion Minn. budget surplus sets up scurry
A gaining economy drove a projection Thursday of a nearly $1.1 billion Minnesota budget surplus, touching off an instant scramble from people seeking more spending, tax cuts or savings for a rainy day. ... Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'
- Firmer Trade Should Keep Malaysia out of ‘Twin Deficit’ Club
A steady trade surplus in October raises the odds that Malaysia can keep its current account in surplus in the final quarter of the year, avoiding membership in the “twin deficit” club that bore the brunt of the emerging-market selloff this summer – and would likely be hardest hit again when the U.S. Federal Reserve eventually reduces its economic stimulus. Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'
- Surplus for Swedish central government in November
Swedish central government payments resulted in a surplus of SEK 13.0 billion in November, which was SEK 7.2 billion higher than the Debt Office`s forecast from October. This is mainly explained by higher ... Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'