Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Surplus'
Surplus Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : more than is needed, desired, or required; "trying to lose
excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the
dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be
thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by
technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room";
"supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory
of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary)
words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary
internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the
needy" [syn: excess, extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory,
n : a quantity much larger than is needed [syn: excess, surplusage,
- Surplus \Sur"plus\, n. [F., fr. sur over + plus more. See
Sur-, and Plus, and cf. Superplus.]
- That which remains when use or need is satisfied, or when a limit is reached; excess; overplus.
- Specifically, an amount in the public treasury at any time greater than is required for the ordinary purposes of the government.
- Surplus \Sur"plus\, a.
Being or constituting a surplus; more than sufficient; as,
surplus revenues; surplus population; surplus words.
When the price of corn falleth, men give over surplus
tillage, and break no more ground. --Carew.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Surplus'
- Surplus: Surplus means when there is more supply than demand, as in extra resources. Surplus may refer to: " "The Surplus ", an episode of The Office ...
- Economic surplus: The term surplus is used in economics for several related quantities. The consumer surplus (sometimes named consumers' surplus) is the ...
- Military surplus: Military surplus are goods, usually matériel , that are sold or otherwise disposed of when no longer needed by the military . Entrepreneur s ...
- Surplus store: A surplus store sells items that are used, or purchased but unused, and no longer needed. The surplus is often military, government or ...
- Surplus: Terrorized into Being Consumers: Surplus: Terrorized Into Being Consumers is an award winning 2003 Swedish documentary film on consumerism and globalization , created by ...
- Surplus economics: Surplus economics is the study of economics based upon the concept that economies operate on the basis of the production of a surplus over ...
Words and phrases related to 'Surplus'
Surplus Sample Sentences in News
- Surplus for June but deterioration likely
New Zealand's June trade surplus was larger than market expectations but warnings of a significant deterioration in the country's export figures came with the release of the latest trade data. read more Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'
- NZ trade surplus bigger than expected
New Zealand has had its eighth consecutive monthly trade surplus led by foreign demand for primary products. Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'
- The Ups And Downs Of State Surplus Estimates
HARTFORD — Keeping track of official estimates of Connecticut's state surplus over the past few months has been a little like attempting to describe the flight of a bumblebee: It's down, it's up, down, and there it goes, up again. Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'