Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Surplus'
Surplus Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : more than is needed, desired, or required; "trying to lose
excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the
dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be
thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by
technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room";
"supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory
of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary)
words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary
internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the
needy" [syn: excess, extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory,
n : a quantity much larger than is needed [syn: excess, surplusage,
- Surplus \Sur"plus\, n. [F., fr. sur over + plus more. See
Sur-, and Plus, and cf. Superplus.]
- That which remains when use or need is satisfied, or when a limit is reached; excess; overplus.
- Specifically, an amount in the public treasury at any time greater than is required for the ordinary purposes of the government.
- Surplus \Sur"plus\, a.
Being or constituting a surplus; more than sufficient; as,
surplus revenues; surplus population; surplus words.
When the price of corn falleth, men give over surplus
tillage, and break no more ground. --Carew.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Surplus'
- Surplus: Surplus means when there is more supply than demand, as in extra resources. Surplus may refer to: " "The Surplus ", an episode of The Office ...
- Economic surplus: The term surplus is used in economics for several related quantities. The consumer surplus (sometimes named consumers' surplus) is the ...
- Military surplus: Military surplus are goods, usually matériel , that are sold or otherwise disposed of when no longer needed by the military . Entrepreneur s ...
- Surplus store: A surplus store sells items that are used, or purchased but unused, and no longer needed. The surplus is often military, government or ...
- Surplus: Terrorized into Being Consumers: Surplus: Terrorized Into Being Consumers is an award winning 2003 Swedish documentary film on consumerism and globalization , created by ...
- Surplus economics: Surplus economics is the study of economics based upon the concept that economies operate on the basis of the production of a surplus over ...
Words and phrases related to 'Surplus'
Surplus Sample Sentences in News
- Brazil posts fifth straight monthly trade surplus in July
Brazil recorded its fifth straight monthly trade surplus in July, government data showed on Friday, but its trade balance stayed in the red for the year, hit by a drop in prices for its main exports. In the first seven months of the year, the commodities powerhouse has accumulated a trade deficit of $914 million, less than a fifth of the $4.972 billion deficit in Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'
- Budget surplus healthy in Preston
Preston - When municipal bond rating agencies and auditors urge their clients to have at least 8 to 10 percent of their annual budget totals in the town surplus account, Preston officials this summer Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'
- Liquidity Services continues sale of U.S. military surplus
Richard Tomkins WASHINGTON, July 30 (UPI) -- Non-rolling stock surplus equipment of the U.S. military will continue to be stored, maintained and sold by Liquidity Services Inc. under a new contract. Read more on this news related to 'Surplus'