Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Suffice'
v : be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity;
"A few words would answer"; "This car suits my purpose
well"; "Will $100 do?"; "A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to
get me into medical school"; "Nothing else will serve"
[syn: do, answer, serve]
- Suffice \Suf*fice"\, v. t.
- To satisfy; to content; to be equal to the wants or demands of. --Spenser. Let it suffice thee; speak no more unto me of this matter. --Deut. iii. 26.
- To furnish; to supply adequately. [Obs.] The power appeased, with winds sufficed the sail. --Dryden.
- Suffice \Suf*fice"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sufficed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Sufficing.] [OE. suffisen, OF. soufire, F. suffire
(cf. suffisant, p. pr.), L. sufficere to put under, to
substitute, to avail for, to suffice; sub under + facere to
make. See Fact.]
To be enough, or sufficient; to meet the need (of anything);
to be equal to the end proposed; to be adequate. --Chaucer.
To recount almighty works, What words or tongue of
seraph can suffice? --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Suffice'
In logic, the words necessity and sufficiency refer to the implicational relationships between statements. The assertion that one statement is a necessary and sufficient condition of another means that the former statement is true if and only if the latter is true.
A condition can be either necessary or sufficient without being the other. For instance, being a mammal (P) is necessary but not sufficient to being human (Q), and that a number q is rational (P) is sufficient but not necessary to q‘s being a real number (Q) (since there are real numbers which are not rational). A condition can be both necessary and sufficient. For example, at present, "today is the Fourth of July" is a necessary and sufficient condition for "today is Independence Day in the United States." Similarly, a necessary and sufficient condition for invertibility of a matrix M is that M have a nonzero determinant.[See more about Suffice at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Suffice'
'Suffice' in famous quotation sentence
* Three minutes thought would suffice to find this out but thought is irksome and three minutes is a long time. - A. E. Houseman
Click here for more related quotations on 'Suffice'
Suffice Sample Sentences in News
- Draw will suffice for UAE to advance
Guangzhou silver medallists take on Jordan in Group G qualifier Read more on this news related to 'Suffice'
- Michael Gerson: Basis of skepticism in Obama's careful war
Suffice it to say, the American campaign in Iraq and Syria will take years and hit major obstacles. It is one thing to have a... Read more on this news related to 'Suffice'
- Bronze will certainly not suffice this time: Mary Kom
New Delhi: Five time World Boxing Champion Mary Kom is eyeing a gold medal at the upcoming Incheon Asian Games after settling for bronze four years ago. Read more on this news related to 'Suffice'