Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Suffice'
v : be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity;
"A few words would answer"; "This car suits my purpose
well"; "Will $100 do?"; "A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to
get me into medical school"; "Nothing else will serve"
[syn: do, answer, serve]
- Suffice \Suf*fice"\, v. t.
- To satisfy; to content; to be equal to the wants or demands of. --Spenser. Let it suffice thee; speak no more unto me of this matter. --Deut. iii. 26.
- To furnish; to supply adequately. [Obs.] The power appeased, with winds sufficed the sail. --Dryden.
- Suffice \Suf*fice"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sufficed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Sufficing.] [OE. suffisen, OF. soufire, F. suffire
(cf. suffisant, p. pr.), L. sufficere to put under, to
substitute, to avail for, to suffice; sub under + facere to
make. See Fact.]
To be enough, or sufficient; to meet the need (of anything);
to be equal to the end proposed; to be adequate. --Chaucer.
To recount almighty works, What words or tongue of
seraph can suffice? --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Suffice'
In logic, the words necessity and sufficiency refer to the implicational relationships between statements. The assertion that one statement is a necessary and sufficient condition of another means that the former statement is true if and only if the latter is true.
A condition can be either necessary or sufficient without being the other. For instance, being a mammal (P) is necessary but not sufficient to being human (Q), and that a number q is rational (P) is sufficient but not necessary to q‘s being a real number (Q) (since there are real numbers which are not rational). A condition can be both necessary and sufficient. For example, at present, "today is the Fourth of July" is a necessary and sufficient condition for "today is Independence Day in the United States." Similarly, a necessary and sufficient condition for invertibility of a matrix M is that M have a nonzero determinant.[See more about Suffice at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Suffice'
'Suffice' in famous quotation sentence
* Three minutes thought would suffice to find this out but thought is irksome and three minutes is a long time. - A. E. Houseman
Click here for more related quotations on 'Suffice'
Suffice Sample Sentences in News
- Club's cuddle too soft by half, only a ban will suffice
Collingwood has chosen to make a cultural statement based on its belief that Williams is truly repentant. Read more on this news related to 'Suffice'
- KICKTV's weekend rewind: Gareth Bale & Carlos Tevez suffice as we await MLS' return | SIDELINE
We are new less than two weeks — 12 days, to be exact — away from the start of the 2014 Major League Soccer season. Read more on this news related to 'Suffice'
- Quotes of the day
"They are secret, obviously, but suffice to say that one is about Barack Obama in Speedos. The other is about me in Speedos with cheesecake involved" - Entertainer Dawn French on her unfulfilled genie wishes. Read more on this news related to 'Suffice'