Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Subversive'
adj : in opposition to a civil authority or government [syn: insurgent,
n : a radical supporter of political or social revolution [syn:
revolutionist, revolutionary, subverter]
- Subversive \Sub*ver"sive\, a. [Cf. F. subversif.]
Tending to subvert; having a tendency to overthrow and ruin.
Lying is a vice subversive of the very ends and design
of conversation. --Rogers.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Subversive'
Subversion refers to an attempt to transform the established social order, its structures of power, authority, exploitation, servitude, and hierarchy; examples of such structures include the state. It is an overturning or uprooting. A subversive is something or someone carrying the potential for some degree of subversion.
The word is present in all languages of Latin origin, originally applying to such events as the military defeat of a city. As early as the 14th century, it was being used in the English language with reference to laws, and in the 15th century came to be used with respect to the realm. The term has taken over from ‘sedition’ as the name for illicit rebellion, though the connotations of the two words are rather different, sedition suggesting overt attacks on institutions, subversion something much more surreptitious, such as eroding the basis of belief in the status quo or setting people against each other.[See more about Subversive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Subversive'
'Subversive' in famous quotation sentence
* Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell
* The Fanaticism which discards the Scripture, under the pretense of resorting to immediate revelations is subversive of every principle of Christianity. For when they boast extravagantly of the Spirit, the tendency is always to bury the Word of God so they may make room for their own falsehoods. - John Calvin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Subversive'
Subversive Sample Sentences in News
- Havana assails U.S. program to recruit young Cuban dissenters
Cuba on Tuesday demanded the United States halt what it called subversive acts against the communist-ruled island, saying a recent report that Washington recruited young Latin Americans to promote dissent in Cuba confirmed a longstanding policy of destabilization. The statement, issued by Josefina Vidal, Cuba's chief foreign ministry official for U.S. relation Read more on this news related to 'Subversive'
- Subversive’s ‘The Police’ is a fitting tribute to playwright Slawomir Mrozek
A strong cast is up to the challenges of Subversive Theatre’s production of “The Police.” Read more on this news related to 'Subversive'
- Phones, modems found during search at Portlaoise Prison
Operation in unit which houses subversive prisoners leads to discovery of more than 30 mobiles Read more on this news related to 'Subversive'