Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Subversive'
adj : in opposition to a civil authority or government [syn: insurgent,
n : a radical supporter of political or social revolution [syn:
revolutionist, revolutionary, subverter]
- Subversive \Sub*ver"sive\, a. [Cf. F. subversif.]
Tending to subvert; having a tendency to overthrow and ruin.
Lying is a vice subversive of the very ends and design
of conversation. --Rogers.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Subversive'
Subversion refers to an attempt to transform the established social order, its structures of power, authority, exploitation, servitude, and hierarchy; examples of such structures include the state. It is an overturning or uprooting. A subversive is something or someone carrying the potential for some degree of subversion.
The word is present in all languages of Latin origin, originally applying to such events as the military defeat of a city. As early as the 14th century, it was being used in the English language with reference to laws, and in the 15th century came to be used with respect to the realm. The term has taken over from ‘sedition’ as the name for illicit rebellion, though the connotations of the two words are rather different, sedition suggesting overt attacks on institutions, subversion something much more surreptitious, such as eroding the basis of belief in the status quo or setting people against each other.[See more about Subversive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Subversive'
'Subversive' in famous quotation sentence
* Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell
* The Fanaticism which discards the Scripture, under the pretense of resorting to immediate revelations is subversive of every principle of Christianity. For when they boast extravagantly of the Spirit, the tendency is always to bury the Word of God so they may make room for their own falsehoods. - John Calvin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Subversive'
Subversive Sample Sentences in News
- Pro-Bedouin demos are subversive nationalist activity, Shin Bet tells court
Police use water cannon to disperse Haifa rally. Photo by AFP Responding to a High Court of Justice petition filed by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel against the warning talks the Shin Bet security service is holding with social and political activists, the state explains that this is part of the Shin Bet’s job, since protests against the Prawer plan Read more on this news related to 'Subversive'
- Criminal lawyer's ad is subversive, sarcastic and pretty awesome
Daniel Muessig is a criminal defense attorney not a judge. In an over-the-top online video that's making the rounds, Muessig says, "I’m the Pittsburgh criminal defense attorney Pittsburgh criminals hire when they commit crimes." Read more on this news related to 'Subversive'
- Pink Shirt Day fading?
When something subversive yet important is co-opted and adopted by almost everyone, does it still have meaning? Does it still have value? That’s the question that can be asked now that Wednesday’s Pink Shirt Day has taken hold across North America. Read more on this news related to 'Subversive'